Tire Size Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to have new tires put on recently purchased OEM wheels 15"x5.5" and struggling to find a shop that will install. Looks like the original tires were 28"x8.5" and I wanted to use BFG AT 30/9.50 R15 or 235/75 R15 but cannot find a tire shop that will mount them... What sizes are y'all running on the OEM wheels? Any suggestions?

The reason you're getting blowback from the installers is the rim size recommended by the tire manufacture is larger than the 5.5" factory rims.

I have 33/10.5 R15's. Discount wouldn't mount them but Les Schwad did no problem.
Do you have power steering? Mine does not but I don’t do any heavy off-roading in this cruiser. It turns on a dime with no issue with 7.5R16 pizza cutters. I have 16” split rims with tubes and going to a solid wheel as no one will touch the splits and they are a pain to mess with.

33x10.5 on the factory wheels here also, it's super popular. If you don't have a Les Schwab just find a small independent shop and they will.
No power steering and no problems.

Also depends if you're lifted. If not the 31 is a good size

33x10.5 on the factory wheels here also, it's super popular. If you don't have a Les Schwab just find a small independent shop and they will.
No power steering and no problems.

Also depends if you're lifted. If not the 31 is a good size
Thanks. I am not lifted riding on a new OEM spec replacement suspension that’s very stiff. Looking at upgrading to Old Man Emu setup but trying to keep it relatively low so that it keeps the original look and fits the garage. The fourth and shadiest tire shop has no problem with the narrow rims. Just have to decide if I want a new suspension and 33” or just go with 30”.

Jumping up from 28” to 33” seems like a big leap but sounds like tons of people have done it.

33x10.5 on stock rims on mine also. I do have a lift, but no power steering, and I've never felt like it was a chore to steer on or off road.

I've never had a problem with 30X9.50s on stock rims, even Discount Tire will mount them. I just bought five for my '76 FJ40 about a year ago - it has stock FJ60 wheels.

I've never had a problem with 30X9.50s on stock rims, even Discount Tire will mount them. I just bought five for my '76 FJ40 about a year ago - it has stock FJ60 wheels.
Glad to hear they did it for you as they told me to go kick rocks along with NTB and Goodyear. I even showed them BFG published rim range says 5.5-7" but all said 6" is the minimum.

I am running 30x9.5 BFG ATs on stock rims and stock springs. It’s a nice proportion. Costco had no problem with this, in fact it’s what they recommended. I had the same response from Les Schwab.

General Grabber AT/X 30X9.5R15LT 104S C on OEM wheels with OEM suspension.

fj40 9.5 x 30 tires.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom