Red or pink coolant? (Answer: 03 and earlier - Red; 04 and newer - Pink) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I went to the dealership to buy my heater Ts and pick up some coolant. I expected to just say “and give me a gallon of coolant” and them to oblige. Instead they asked me “pink or red?”.

I did a quick search but couldn’t find the answer easily. With people behind me and not wanting to hold up the line I posted this thread hoping to get a quick answer. Well I ended up finding the answer before any response, but I will update the title to help others so they don’t have to read through other threads looking for the answer.

Thanks to @JunkCrzr89 for the answer

Last edited:
What happened here....weren't you asking about coolant?

What happened here....weren't you asking about coolant?
I was. I was in line at the dealership and had people waiting on me. I tried looking up old threads but internet was slow and I didn’t want to keep making people wait so I made a post hoping to get a quick answer.

I eventually found the answer in a thread before anyone responded. I tried to delete the thread so as not to have another thread on coolant, but since I couldn’t delete it I just erased the content.

I might add it back to help people easily find the answer in future searches.

Last edited:
The answer is it depends on what model year you have. Pink has long been associated with premature water pump failure and other leaks. The question on my mind is whether you can use red in a vehicle for which Toyota calls for pink. I'm fine with the more frequent changes of red in exchange for longer water pump life.

03 and earlier takes red, 04 and later takes pink.

I just ordered 00272-SLLC2, Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze for my '05 470. I did not know that there were two different types.

Did I order the correct pink-- or do I now have a gallon of red?

I just ordered 00272-SLLC2, Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze for my '05 470. I did not know that there were two different types.

Did I order the correct pink-- or do I now have a gallon of red?
You bought the right stuff for 2005.

866A0DCC-4879-49AB-A91A-7AC6C907804F.jpeg

Not to ruffle feathers, but I use red in my 06'

No issues for the last 4 years.

Thanks, great to know. I've had both a parts person and service person at Camelback Toyota roll their eyes on the mention of pink. I think it's caused more problems than people realize.

Stupid ?, but let’s just assume that pink is a fine coolant and is not going to cause premature water pump wear for the sake of this ?

Both my kids have 100 series ones a 98 and ones an 02

I like to keep one coolant in the garage as I have 2 other Toyota products that are newer and I like to keep things simple…if I can

If I flush and use Pink in the older 100 series, is there really going to be a problem caused by the Pink?

Stupid ?, but let’s just assume that pink is a fine coolant and is not going to cause premature water pump wear for the sake of this ?

Both my kids have 100 series ones a 98 and ones an 02

I like to keep one coolant in the garage as I have 2 other Toyota products that are newer and I like to keep things simple…if I can

If I flush and use Pink in the older 100 series, is there really going to be a problem caused by the Pink?

The garage that did my timing belt installed red in my '05 rather than the pink.

Per your question about stocking only one AF fluid--- I assume that the shop repairs many pre-03 LC and LX's, so just stock the red reasoning that red will not harm the later trucks. I would think it would be the other way around if pink does not harm earlier parts. Why would either one harm any year truck? I will be interested in how others answer your question.

I could not tell the difference between the red and the pink until bought a gallon of pink and then saw the shade difference when I had to drain AF to install my Ts.
I am going to keep it in until next year and then change to the correct pink. I have to say--diluted red and diluted pink are pretty close in shade.

Will I have to perform a complete flush including the block-- or can I drain the radiator as much as possible and then pour in the pink?

I'm gonna use the xerex valvoline blue asian next time if it's cheaper. Maybe even the PEAK brand!
View attachment 2832718

Thanks-- so the pink is does not allow for longer change-out intervals than the red per this TSB?

I thought the pink advertised that it had a much longer changeout interval than the red. If it does not, then I wonder why the change from red to pink.

Still good to know they will mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom