Rear upper tailgate wiring harness. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having issues with my rear wiper working only sometimes. Then it started to get worse. Then, the fuse for my brake lights started blowing. I can do without the wiper, but not brake lights. Troubleshooting revealed that there is a short occurring somewhere in the rear hatch. I have disconnected everything to the rear hatch and now my brake light fuse does not blow.

I am wanting to get a new wiring harness but haven't been able to figure out the part#. Does anyone know this part #?

Thanks,

Mack

I was having issues with my rear wiper working only sometimes. Then it started to get worse. Then, the fuse for my brake lights started blowing. I can do without the wiper, but not brake lights. Troubleshooting revealed that there is a short occurring somewhere in the rear hatch. I have disconnected everything to the rear hatch and now my brake light fuse does not blow.

I am wanting to get a new wiring harness but haven't been able to figure out the part#. Does anyone know this part #?

Thanks,

Mack

Here's a diagram with part numbers:

That being said - would most likely be easier and cheaper to find the problem harness and fix it as opposed to replacing.

Here's a diagram with part numbers:

That being said - would most likely be easier and cheaper to find the problem harness and fix it as opposed to replacing
Thanks,
That was what I was looking for. Now after seeing that, best guess is what TYPM4FUN said and short is occurring in part# 82184-60110. Hopefully I will get time this weekend to look at this.

Open the harness where if flexes when the hatch is opened and shut, upper left. It is likely damaged there, mine was.
Same spot mine had several work hardened wires that broke.

Can anyone tell me where the ground is for the rear hatch? My wiper and defrost ain't working. Seems like a fairly common problem, eh?

Super old thread here, but found that ground location under the center console. At first glance it looked clean and was tight, BUT after taking it apart the ground location was not that good from the factory. Location "BF" was actually grounding against paint!
Ground Locations.jpg

I chased the threads and took a small wire wheel to remove paint and then used a dielectric grease to ensure connectivity.
IMG_3100.JPEG

Once this was done, I got back my rear wiper and cargo light, I'm still chasing my issue to get my rear defroster and hatch lock to work. After telling my buddy about the issue, he had a similar issue with his daughters 4 Runner. Hopefully this helps the next guy that comes across this thread looking for this ground location

There is some weird mojo going on with those rear hatch circuits. In my previous 80, I managed to track down taps that gave me switchable lighting under the hatch.
78PgjH.jpg

It always had power. After several hours of poking around on the new LX, sorry, no bueno.

This may be because the right hand rear door circuit did not cause that courtesy light to come one when the hatch was raised, just the left side one. I didn't bother chasing that down. However, after giving up on the alternatives, I did find as connector that plugs into the rear hatch locking mechanism. It yielded a reliable 12 V with the hatch opened to light things up, but whenever I tried tapping into it with my lighting by means of those plastic Scotchlock-type connectors, again, no bueno. Seems whatever was going on either with the circuit to the right rear door light or the lock itself - turning the key in it just unlocked the hatch and did not affect anything else (although locking the locks from other locations did lock and unlock the hatch.)

So I disconnected this connector from the lead to the hatch lock, then hooked up the lighting and a switch tucked away behind the hatch grab handle to it. Works! But only so long as the motor isn't running. Not a problem as I don't anticipate using those lights except when the motor is off.

Interestingly, the hatch lock still follows the central control faithfully still. I don't see any extra wiring that could explian this, but happy that it does. I alos noticed the left courtesy light no longer responds to the rear hatch's open/shut status, although like the right still function when the related door opens and shuts. That also is fine with me, as these always required the carabiner-in-the-latch trick to shut off when sleeping in there with the rear hatch open.
q3PZD6.jpg

This solved that problem. Anyway now got nice hatch lights, but not sure exactly how.
wIEQNO.jpg

I do have the EWD (for the old 80 series, anyway) and can usually make sense of it. Didn't really help much with the rear hatch, except for wire colors/connector pin outs.

There is some weird mojo going on with those rear hatch circuits. In my previous 80, I managed to track down taps that gave me switchable lighting under the hatch.
78PgjH.jpg

It always had power. After several hours of poking around on the new LX, sorry, no bueno.

This may be because the right hand rear door circuit did not cause that courtesy light to come one when the hatch was raised, just the left side one. I didn't bother chasing that down. However, after giving up on the alternatives, I did find as connector that plugs into the rear hatch locking mechanism. It yielded a reliable 12 V with the hatch opened to light things up, but whenever I tried tapping into it with my lighting by means of those plastic Scotchlock-type connectors, again, no bueno. Seems whatever was going on either with the circuit to the right rear door light or the lock itself - turning the key in it just unlocked the hatch and did not affect anything else (although locking the locks from other locations did lock and unlock the hatch.)

So I disconnected this connector from the lead to the hatch lock, then hooked up the lighting and a switch tucked away behind the hatch grab handle to it. Works! But only so long as the motor isn't running. Not a problem as I don't anticipate using those lights except when the motor is off.

Interestingly, the hatch lock still follows the central control faithfully still. I don't see any extra wiring that could explian this, but happy that it does. I alos noticed the left courtesy light no longer responds to the rear hatch's open/shut status, although like the right still function when the related door opens and shuts. That also is fine with me, as these always required the carabiner-in-the-latch trick to shut off when sleeping in there with the rear hatch open.
q3PZD6.jpg

This solved that problem. Anyway now got nice hatch lights, but not sure exactly how.
wIEQNO.jpg

I do have the EWD (for the old 80 series, anyway) and can usually make sense of it. Didn't really help much with the rear hatch, except for wire colors/connector pin outs.
I understand all the weirdness. I have the factory wiring diagram and 90% follows it to a T, but there is a solid 10% that appears all factory installed, but isn't on the diagram. I'm chalking this up to being a global platform and Toyota using a single harness to check as many boxes as possible? Love the light install btw!

Love the light install btw!
Got the pair of them (SKU 261-0368) for $12 at Menards. Basically an aluminum channel with a strip of COB inset in them with 3M sticky stuff on their back. They come in one of those "try me!" packages with as push button that lights 'em up. That's powered by two 9 volt batteries so impress as really crazy bright. On 12 volts, not quite as outstanding, but still powerful enough for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom