"old" Saginaw box mounting kit, is/similar to a 4x4labs kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I have the pictured kit that I've had on the shelf for way too many years. I'm getting ready to do the install and I have some questions.
1. Are the bolted together pairs of plates (Red arrows) part of the kit and if so where do they go?
2. The 4x4labs kit extends the frame rails - is this required and if so why?
3. The 4x4labs kit seems to require removing the front spring hanger to fit up the lower bushing/tubes - is there an alternate installation that doesn't require this?

PXL_20210919_141716511.jpg
PXL_20210919_141959977.jpg
PXL_20210919_142004286.jpg
PXL_20210919_142010053.jpg

Would there be adverse effects if I mounted this bracket higher, to put the lower tube/bushings THROUGH the frame ABOVE the spring hanger? It looks like about an inch or so higher than the 4x4labs kit install shown here:
sagkit2.jpg_1024x1024.jpeg

underneath_1024x1024.jpg

Alternately I could reuse the bracket the PO welded in when mounting a manual Saginaw box. (The mounting holes do line up with the PS box)

If I were to do this I would drill and sleeve both of the top mounting tabs through the frame. This seems to put the box in the :lower" position as seen below ALTHOUGH it looks like the box will be a little "nose down", and I've read that this is to be avoided.

PXL_20210919_141623628.jpg
PXL_20210919_141643408.jpg
PXL_20210919_141707484.jpg
4+IMG_1691.jpg
PXL_20210919_145828917.jpg

Last edited:
Get rid of the cast piece thats on there, Luke's kit extends the frame 1.5" because when you do the shackle reversal it puts the spring mount far enough forward to clear the saginaw box mount, I would mount the box to steering shaft, attach the pitman, clamp box with plate on it where you like it, check for clearances, weld er up. The plates you mentioned are to go on the end of frame horn making it so you can bolt on the bumper, don't have to use them. FWIW my top 2 bolts go thru frame just below top of rail and the bottom 2 are just under frame and 1 of them required a slight trim on the spring hanger.

So without a shackle reversal I'm going to need to mess with the spring hanger? Do you think I can raise up the box mount to put the lower 2 bolts THROUGH the frame fully rather than where the hanger is?

Thanks B y r o n
What issues, if any, did you run into with the higher mounting of the box?
No real issues to speak of. There were a few clearance issues that needed to be resolved but nothing that can't be reversed later on if desired. My power steering gear box had the larger end so I had to clearance the mounting plate. I also had to notch/clearance the top bumper bracket to clear the gear box.

For me besides the power steering, not having to weld on the frame was worth any effort expended.

In your thread you wrote:
"Borgeson supplied upper and lower joints, collapse-able shaft, ... and power steering hoses. VBX supplied the column bearing support."

Do you perchance have the specs, in general, for those? (I know I need to measure what I have to double check)

Have you looked into Scout, FJ60 or FJ80 Power steering? Scout and 60 boxes are becoming difficult to find, 80 boxes are still around. IMO, they are less evasive to the frame. They mount inside the engine compartment along the frame rail.

In your thread you wrote:
"Borgeson supplied upper and lower joints, collapse-able shaft, ... and power steering hoses. VBX supplied the column bearing support."

Do you perchance have the specs, in general, for those? (I know I need to measure what I have to double check)

Sorry, my e-mail seems to only go back to 2016 so don't have the specifics for the parts I ordered. This thread may give you the info you need though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom