Fuel filter location on ‘82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where is the fuel filter located on a 1982 FJ40? It will start when gas is manually put into the carburetor, but then it quits. Hope it’s an easy fix since it is my snowplow vehicle and I live in an area that can get a lot of snow from September to May.

If you have fuel coming out of the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb, and if we can assume that more fuel comes out with it running, then the next place for a fuel blockage would be the needle valve that regulates how much gas is in the float bowl. Those can be stuck closed due to inactivity. There is a maneuver you can perform on the outside of the carb that can un-stick that valve. But you will need to remove enough stuff to swing a (very small) hammer. Once you have access to the corner of the carb where the fuel line attaches, tap your little hammer all about that area, sorta gently, no two-handed swings. You just want to jar that little up-and-down sliding stopper valve a little.

I once used a rock to free a stuck needle was camping. The needle is close to where the fuel line enters the carburetor. Using two hammers would place the end of the handle of one in the area where the needle is and smack that hammer head with the other hammer. I would use a hammer with a wood handle for the one resting on the carburetor. What something soft enough to not damage the carburetor and still delivery the shock needed to free the needle. The second hammer also an unstructured area to swing the hammer.

I once used a rock to free a stuck needle was camping. The needle is close to where the fuel line enters the carburetor. Using two hammers would place the end of the handle of one in the area where the needle is and smack that hammer head with the other hammer. I would use a hammer with a wood handle for the one resting on the carburetor. What something soft enough to not damage the carburetor and still delivery the shock needed to free the needle. The second hammer also an unstructured area to swing the hammer.
8D0410D5-494F-4BFF-B596-DF9646B048E2.jpeg
Hey Guys, this is my new FAVORITE HAMMER!!! My son, who lives in Phoenix, has been monitoring the back and forth on this thread and was able to tell me exactly where to “tap” to free the stuck needle. WOO HOO, thanks to everyone who has been so helpful and patient with me. Old Faithful and I will be back in business this winter.❄️❄️
1632071950135.png

Let us not count one's RPMs before the engine runs...
But, just showing that hammer to the carb should scare it into cooperation

Good to hear. Good work!

Would there be any pictures of the engine bay, so we can see what you're working on? Perhaps we can assist in a parts or pieces removal so you can swing that hammer. Perhaps even some pics of the whole rig? We like pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom