When did the wipers move to the bottom of the windshield frame ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering in what model year, the wipers moved to the bottom of the 40 series window frame ?

75, if I remember correctly.

I guess I can hijack my own thread.

And what year did the 40 get front disc brakes ?

Pretty sure '76 was the first year for those.

And the hardtop vent windows started in '78. 😆

Disc brakes started 10/75 with the 76 model in the US. Not all markets got disc brakes at all. Australia wasn't until 10/82 the start of the 83 model.

Small vent window was 8/76 the start of the 77 model. Again in the US. Many markets had sliding windows which would open with the US required roll bar. Roll bar also prevented the LX models with forward facing rear seat from being imported. Trim package doesn't work with a roll bar. Toyota was already slowing down the import of the FJ40 by the time the LX models starting and figure was worth the effort to make a special version for.North America. The H55F would have been a easy bolt in to import but didn't happen. Even on the FJ60 was never offered. H42 is a street friendlier transmission than the H41 or H55F may be the reason why.

Minor quirk, but the '76MY started in 9/75 compared to other years that started in Oct...I only know that since mine is a Sep model (with discs).

Didn't realize the 77s also had the rear vent windows, only noticed them on the 78s and newer...but you don't exactly see a ton of 77s.

Thanks all. Built my 40 about 15 years ago. Then acouple 60’s, and acouple 80’s.

Thinking of jumping back into a 40 project, but looks like most the rigs coming onto the market recently, are parts rigs. Not sure what I can mix & match to get a rig like Johnny Cashes’ one piece at a time Cadillac !!!

Thanks all

You’d be surprised. My “74 has a ‘71 hood, ‘81 hardtop, ‘75 hatch, ‘77 Fj45 rear axle, ‘77 Fj40 knuckles (axle shafts & birfields), ‘75 Transmission & T-case, ‘75 front seats, ‘72 SBC (replacing a 9/69 SBC), and the list goes on and on.

I bought my 1974 FJ40 new from the Encino, CA dealership on Ventura Blvd. My wipers & motor were on the bottom of the windshield frame. I believe I got it in June of '74. It came with a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty. Went through 3 heads in that first year, that Toyota paid for. There were defects in the valves and seats until they changed them to sodium filled valves in 1975. Left me a bad taste for the 1F motor. As soon as my warranty was up I had Manafre help me modify my motor (different cam, valves, headers, distributor, carb, etc). Back then Manafre was in Northridge, CA.

Mine is a 1970 and my wipers are on the bottom of the windshield.

Twice: once on the the first swish and once on the way back…

I couldn’t resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom