Warped head question/confirmation please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Threads
I had a call to pick up my head and I hope I heard wrong. Machinist said head was warped either 60 thousands or 6 thousands, couldn't hear him very well. I know Spec is .0059 but 60 thousands is a junk the head no? I am pretty sure I know where to stand but would like confirmation, as this area is newer to me.

If .060 off, it seems they are taking me for a labor ride when they should have just billed me for checking warpage and sent me packing. I am going to clarify when I go down there.

Thank you,

~Paul

I’d call back and verify.

03DC5A0F-A6FA-4B2B-9726-914084B53B0A.jpeg

Either way, the head is warped.

Either way, the head is warped.
FSM yes, but from searching, most on here have no issue milling .006 off and running with it.

I was just looking for an obvious answer to my question of it being junk at .06. My lack of confidence wanted more experienced individuals to back up my argument should I have one when I go down there in person. Their phone skills suck.

Last edited:
If they shouldn’t have done the work then I would have an issue with paying them for anything more than checking it. IMHO.

Do you know why the head would have been warped in the first place? Once I got this issue resolved with that shop , I’d take it to another shop.

When I did the HG on my previous 80, the shop I used let me take their Sterrit straight edge home and use it to check my block deck. Maybe you can do the same at a small shop or at least stand their and witness the head being checked.

Do you know why the head would have been warped in the first place? Once I got this issue resolved with that shop , I’d take it to another shop.

When I did the HG on my previous 80, the shop I used let me take their Sterrit straight edge home and use it to check my block deck. Maybe you can do the same at a small shop or at least stand their and witness the head being checked.
I have no idea why it would be other than age. I've never had a problem heat wise or other. Deeds are done and head is finished, I will talk with them in the morning.

I have no idea why it would be other than age. I've never had a problem heat wise or other. Deeds are done and head is finished, I will talk with them in the morning.
Keep us posted👍

I hope it’s just miscommunication. Seems really stupid for a shop to try and fix the warping on the head without consulting you. If they did do that and determined the head is beyond repair, the onus is on them; not you.

Others may disagree, but I would straighten that head for sure....by putting it on the block and letting the head bolts flatten it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom