Head gasket replacement question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
It's time to replace the head gasket on my 97 with 210k. I'm having a head rebuilt now and will be exchanging heads when I replace the gasket. I need to complete this task in two days.

Here's the question... Do most folks leave the engine in place when replacing the head gasket, or remove the engine?

Thanks! :popcorn:

I left the engine in place. Couldn't really see any reason to pull the engine. I just used a block and tackle to lift the head off. Made it real easy.

Depends on how much Shiner bock is in your belly that day. If more than 6, your beer belly might get in the way :rofl:

Engine in place. Perfectly doable.

Another vote for engine in place. No reason to pull it unless you are going after the bottom end too.

Engine in place. Just did mine.

Edit: Only pulled front driver's side tire.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses. Looks like I'll leave the engine in place and remove the drivers side tire.

Just curious... did you guys replace the timing chain also? I'm on the fence about replacing the timing chain while I'm in there... :hmm:

Thanks again!!

engine in place drop it down like said before. cherry picker to lower head easy on block. thats one heavy piece holly buckets.

In most cases there is no need to replace the timing chain itself. The chain guide, however is a wear item that should be replaced if you have the front cover of the engine off.
But... If you are planning to pull the front cover, I would pull the whole engine because all of the other "while you are in there" stuff will creep up on you.

And... if you are placing the head without a cherry picker, be mindful of the bypass nipple on the radiator when you climb up into the engine bay.

2 guys to lift out the head and set it back in will work. If you’re working alone you’ll need a way to lift it. Heck, it took me 2 days just to figure out how to undo all the electrical connections.

In most cases there is no need to replace the timing chain itself. The chain guide, however is a wear item that should be replaced if you have the front cover of the engine off.
But... If you are planning to pull the front cover, I would pull the whole engine because all of the other "while you are in there" stuff will creep up on you.

And... if you are placing the head without a cherry picker, be mindful of the bypass nipple on the radiator when you climb up into the engine bay.
2 guys to lift out the head and set it back in will work. If you’re working alone you’ll need a way to lift it. Heck, it took me 2 days just to figure out how to undo all the electrical connections.
Thank you guys for the advice! It's much appreciated. Fortunately, I have an 2000 lb. overhead hoist in my shop. My plan is to remove the hood and pick the head straight up.

ohh man i forgot about the dam electrical connections. one thing that helped there was blue painters tape and a sharpie marker to label each one.

following the FSM helped me alot

it kinda breaks it down step by step in order. very helpful i found.

and that vid too, watched it first to give me an idea about what was up, if i recall he had a little hack on the cam gear.

If you only have two days, I would leave the Engine in. That would also lead me to believe that you weren’t going to be replacing a lot of other items while you’re in there.

A small engine hoist takes the head off with ease. One thing I would recommend, take the hood off. It makes it so much easier and more accessible.

If it doesn’t matter where you are, I would get rid of the EGR at this point. Also, tape your wiring harness post inspection.

YMMV

If you only have two days, I would leave the Engine in. That would also lead me to believe that you weren’t going to be replacing a lot of other items while you’re in there.

A small engine hoist takes the head off with ease. One thing I would recommend, take the hood off. It makes it so much easier and more accessible.

If it doesn’t matter where you are, I would get rid of the EGR at this point. Also, tape your wiring harness post inspection.

YMMV
Yep, that's my plan. Pull the hood and utilize my 2000 lb. over head crane. Just push the button and watch the head go up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom