FJ40 1972 Chevy v8 Transmission question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 72 fj40 with a 3 speed transmission with tc but it was all apart. Do I keep the 3 peed or do I purchase a 1974 fj40 transmission with tc ? Any pros or cons.

3 speed bought and paid for, but not synchronized. 4 speed tranny cost coin, plus new adapter bellhousing cost, plus re-do drive shafts, plus gear kit to use 3 speed T.C. with 4 speed tranny, plus drive shaft flange differences (translation=$$$$$).

I have a 1972 3 speed trans/tcase combo in perfect working order that I will probably junk in the spring, as there was not much previous interest when I posted. You would be welcome to it... of course it's in southern Idaho! LOL

I am swapping for a 4 speed. The daily drive comfort level will be worth the extra coin I spent.

That three speed was reason I swapped in the v8. Daily driving a 3 speed is kinda of a pain. In fact before I did the v8, I bought a Tercel!!! All kidding aside, I switched to a sm465 and it’s a clunky 3 speed w/a granny gear. I much prefer it to the old 3 speed(1973).
Since you already have the v8, keep the swap going. NV4500?

3 speed bought and paid for, but not synchronized. 4 speed tranny cost coin, plus new adapter bellhousing cost, plus re-do drive shafts, plus gear kit to use 3 speed T.C. with 4 speed tranny, plus drive shaft flange differences (translation=$$$$$).
Thanks Jim I am missing parts to the 3 speed transmission but it looks like it maybe less $ to fix. When I bought the black fj40 the first owner was going to install a T-5 transmission. I have the T-5. The second owner told me all I would need was 39 spline. Since I don’t have a full understanding and since I am new on working on the FJ40, I don’t want to make some costly mistakes and if there is no benefit. Also on the 3 speed transmission and tc I have possibly a missing transmission gear, no linkage or gear shifts. I had a 63 fj40 with v8 & 4 speed Muncie So I used work on it, but I use to lean on my Dad and Uncle who were Very savvy on vehicle repairs. That was 46 years ago. Grateful for advice

I have a 1972 3 speed trans/tcase combo in perfect working order that I will probably junk in the spring, as there was not much previous interest when I posted. You would be welcome to it... of course it's in southern Idaho! LOL

I am swapping for a 4 speed. The daily drive comfort level will be worth the extra coin I spent.
Let me know when you have switched to the 4 speed transmission curious about outcome and cost.

Best transmission I have driven in a '40. I like it better than the h55f.

Both are 5 speeds, ... NV4500 has a granny however. Spendy, and I bought the '40 after the NV4500 was installed so don't know modification details. 2,200 rpm at 65 mph. Schweeeet!

Let me know when you have switched to the 4 speed transmission curious about outcome and cost.
I think I'm into it about $1100 for bellhousing and clutch set and a few odds and ends. I bought the Fj40 speed right after I bought the vehicle, it was the least expensive way to go, and the "yodas" on this site say that the factory 4 speed is the most friendly daily driver option. I will keep you posted on the install!

I bought a 72 fj40 with a 3 speed transmission with tc but it was all apart. Do I keep the 3 peed or do I purchase a 1974 fj40 transmission with tc ? Any pros or cons.

You need to decide what it is you want to end up with. You also need to determine how much money you want to throw at it. I always knew that when my 6 cylinder died mine would get a SBC. I put my money on the motor and parts needed to do the conversion at the time so kept the 3 spd. Other than no 1st gear synchro the 3 spd worked fine for years. I did eventually swap it out for a NV4500 but that was decades later.

If you bought the FJ-40 as a life long vehicle you've got plenty of time to make the changes you want. It also gives you time to save for those changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom