Hilux '84 turbo truck on portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot a pic of these axle housings. I don't think I'm gonna break these. Lol

20210914_165308.jpg

Looks like fantastic quality, but it looks like you got the apprenctice C's.... wonder why the welds werent cleaned up lol. Must have been a miller time job. *note, I'm being fussy..

Are you doing the axle ends yourself?

U Joint or CV steering axle shaft?

Looks like fantastic quality, but it looks like you got the apprenctice C's.... wonder why the welds werent cleaned up lol. Must have been a miller time job. *note, I'm being fussy..

Are you doing the axle ends yourself?

U Joint or CV steering axle shaft?

Yes, will be building the axles and everything else all in house.

For steer axle, going to use the 12k cv joint and stub shaft, and make custom inners that slide into the cv and the toyota 8" diff.

RCV makes bomb proof CV/Stubs for these things but I just don't think I'll need them on this build.

I don’t know if I’d call this “simple”, but it’s definitely cool! Anyway, nothing to add. 🍿

Oh man, this is going to be good.

Do these particular portals reverse the direction of rotation? Aka will you need to run the rear diff as a reverse rotation or high pinion?

Oh man, this is going to be good.

Do these particular portals reverse the direction of rotation? Aka will you need to run the rear diff as a reverse rotation or high pinion?

The portals use 2 gears to transfer the power from axle to wheel. That process reverses the rotation. The solution is flipping both third members 180 degrees so that rotation is reversed.

The portals use 2 gears to transfer the power from axle to wheel. That process reverses the rotation. The solution is flipping both third members 180 degrees so that rotation is reversed.

Gotcha, I wasn't sure how the 12k boxes were made compared to the basic 10k's.

So with both diffs being low-pinion that are flipped to run as high-pinion for the direction reversal, what's your plan to prevent them from dying a short death? Oil slinger + overfill + thoughts & prayers + ???

😁

Gotcha, I wasn't sure how the 12k boxes were made compared to the basic 10k's.

So with both diffs being low-pinion that are flipped to run as high-pinion for the direction reversal, what's your plan to prevent them from dying a short death? Oil slinger + overfill + thoughts & prayers + ???

😁

Plan is to use v6 third castings, weld a guard in place to slow the drain from pinion bearings, overfill a bit and then just monitor.
Using high pinion castings flipped to low pinion would make sense, but...... The lowest numerical gear option is 4.10 so that won't work.

Will see what happens

Plan is to use v6 third castings, weld a guard in place to slow the drain from pinion bearings, overfill a bit and then just monitor.
Using high pinion castings flipped to low pinion would make sense, but...... The lowest numerical gear option is 4.10 so that won't work.

Will see what happens

Do the Ruffstuff housings have inner axle seals? If not, it could be worthwhile to add them now to keep the extra oil in the diff and not the tubes.

Also, a loooong breather hose with some kind of catch can up high would help prevent them from puking too badly.

I've never ran flipped diffs, and only seen them used for lower speed trail rigs where they still failed, so hopefully you can do enough to keep them alive at highway speed and temperature.

Question for everyone. Truck goes in for paint/body at the end of this month (couple weeks). I'd like to replace all of the exterior weatherstripping at the same time. Most of the original stuff is dry and crusty it seems like. Are original parts still available or is there some aftermarket solution that people are using?

Question for everyone. Truck goes in for paint/body at the end of this month (couple weeks). I'd like to replace all of the exterior weatherstripping at the same time. Most of the original stuff is dry and crusty it seems like. Are original parts still available or is there some aftermarket solution that people are using?

@CreeperSleeper where did you find trim for the red truck? Pretty sure we swapped that out...

Got the portal boxes tore down and ready to get cleaned up. When I got them they were pretty gross and still had old ball joints/tie rod ends on them.
Bead blast cleans them right up. Next step is to finish tearing them down and test fitting the new parts (wheel brakes, steering arms..etc)

20210917_091043.jpg
20210917_091055.jpg
20210917_090937.jpg

Gangster!

Got the portal boxes tore down and ready to get cleaned up. When I got them they were pretty gross and still had old ball joints/tie rod ends on them.
Bead blast cleans them right up. Next step is to finish tearing them down and test fitting the new parts (wheel brakes, steering arms..etc)

Are they going to get a full rebuild and re-seal? What does parts availability look like for these portals?

I totally imagined an idler gear in the portal. I dunno about this diff flipping blah blah business. Trade off I guess?

Are they going to get a full rebuild and re-seal? What does parts availability look like for these portals?

I don't plan on any major rebuilding. They look like new inside and everything is tight. If anything, I might replace the air seals that ride on the main shaft extensions. I had to replace those on my H1. After so many miles they start to cut into the shaft extension and then they start leaking. You can press out the extension, flip it, and press it back in to get a fresh surface for the seals.
I'll inspect when I pull the main shaft and make a decision then.

Parts are readily available for these.

I totally imagined an idler gear in the portal. I dunno about this diff flipping blah blah business. Trade off I guess?

No idler gears in the H1 portals. How do you think the H1 drives these things backwards (to go forward)? Flipped diffs.

If it were easy then I guess everyone would be doing it. 🤷‍♂️

No idler gears in the H1 portals. How do you think the H1 drives these things backwards (to go forward)? Flipped diffs.

If it were easy then I guess everyone would be doing it. 🤷‍♂️

Now knowing that the H1 portal doesnt have an idler I would think in their native vehicle the driveshaft(s) would have spun the appropriate direction. Or the ring and pinion was manufactured on the appropriate side of the carrier to have a desired direction. Or the diff casting/machining was designed to flood the pinion and retain oil appropriately in the direction of normal rotation(in this case normal is backwards). And the drivetrain was designed to use the diff being driven on the drive side of the gear set for the majority of normal operation.

But if hummer figured hey we'll just take some normal diffs and flip them then thats gotta count for something. KISS I guess.

I dont know anything about hummers... except for anything beyond the H1 is silly, the H1 had portals, the H1 was used in the military, and the H1 is pretty sweet. So I'm just theorizing here. No actual idea of operations, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom