Gm alternator on odd bracket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So with the fuel injection, dui distributor, new wiring harness and other stuff on order, I decided to turn my attention to the alternator.

The previous owner had what I can only describe as a denso 8 wire alternator installed (3 to the voltage regulator, 8 foot of 16 gauge around the back of the engine to the battery, 2 that just terminated into thin air, hanging live and loose on the engine compartment, and 2 I haven’t finished chasing down yet).

At first I was going to hit the junkyard and see if I could find something slightly higher rated, but with the electric fan and a/c in my future, I decided to just do the cs swap to keep it simple.

Given some of the oddities I have found I. The past couple of weeks, and the fact that it’s on the driver’s side, I felt the prudent thing to do was verify the lower bracket indeed looked like the pictures I’ve seen on here to make sure that the cs144 would fit. I’m glad I did. Pic below. It looks factory, but def not like the pics I’ve seen on here.

I’ve slung a bunch of searches to find another one like it, with no luck. So my questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone mounted a 10/12si (15 looks similar), or a cs case gm on one of these mounts? It looks like I’d have to take off quite a bit of the mount or the mounting flange on the alternator to line it up.

2. Has anyone run up against this and just threw in a pass side bracket? If so, what did you do with the lift point currently bolted in there?

3, does anyone have another accessory like a/c compressor mounted on this? When I replace the engine mounts, is there any reason to keep this?

Part of me wants to just move it to the passenger side to make wiring it to the battery easier, but I want to see if someone already has an easy button style answer.

37715DBD-E4EC-4FA6-8FC5-DE12019F91D8.jpeg
FFC8D41E-8482-4417-BAE1-A9EC8DF923C1.jpeg

If there is already a thread that covers this, I swear this isn’t due to a lack of trying to find it.

That looks like the bracket for the emissions air pump. I will be following your progress because a higher amp alternator would be nice to know about.

Some folks with EFI put an idler pulley in that location (where the factory air pump would be on later models) to carry the belt that drives the water pump. If you did that, then you'd mount the alternator up high on the other side. You could also mount a PS pump there, if you need a belt driven accessory to make your belt scheme work.

That looks like the bracket for the emissions air pump. I will be following your progress because a higher amp alternator would be nice to know about.
For most people, it looks like one of the easier mods. There’s a few threads in the faq section. Mad electrical’s part numbers are out of date, but I’ve been putting together a list of the new delco part numbers by amperage that I’ll post soon to update it.

Some folks with EFI put an idler pulley in that location (where the factory air pump would be on later models) to carry the belt that drives the water pump. If you did that, then you'd mount the alternator up high on the other side. You could also mount a PS pump there, if you need a belt driven accessory to make your belt scheme work.
Thanks, I’ll start looking up the pat numbers on that. Eventually I’ll probably have both an upper and lower accessory as ps and A/c are both on the list. I’m looking for an 88-97 hilux in the local junkyard, hoping to pull a whole system. Pretty sure the lhd 4wd ones used the same steering box as the mini truck in the us.

Jim Chenowith in Ohio has premade pulley assemblies. I put one on my 82 60 series 2f for desmog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom