PLEASE HELP! 2000 LC dies while driving/no check engine **UPDATED 8/17/21** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep :steer:

Let me tell you….AAA has made no money on me in the past year 🤣- I have used every single one of my calls and all on tows! God only knows how many times I’ve stalled and even though it starts right back up I’m too scared to try to drive it in the moment it happens.

I totally relate to the apprehensive feeling when leaving the driveway and I’m hoping eventually that will go away!

I like that idea on putting together “a bag of tricks”. I think I should include in that bag a coil!
Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
On my 2001 LX, the Denso 950-0107 Fuel Pump is the OEM Toyota pump at a discounted price. $133.00 It probably took me 2 hours to replace it and the hardest part was removing and reinstalling the big 2nd row seat by myself.

Amazon product ASIN B00274QIVM
P.S. I am a firm believer in replacing all these type of electronic things before they go out. I replaced my fuel pump, EFI relay, 02 sensors, all 8 coil packs and etc. before they even gave me any major problems. I even have a new fuse block waiting in my garage for my next good opportunity to change it out. Then my next project is going to be change out all 8 fuel injectors.

The 100 Series is made to last an extremely long time but, 20 years is a long time for any electronic component.

This is why most of us refer to the dealer as the stealer. I order parts from a few of them, but if I didn't have to, they wouldn't even get that business.

It's the dealership and Toyotas fault for creating the work environment and culture, not the technicians fault. Some really smart people working at the dealership, who are hamstringed by the dealerships culture into just replacing parts and not diagnosing issues in depth

It’s hard to have confidence after dealing with gremlins for so long…I’ve done various repairs to my vehicles over the years and often have that what if such and such happens as I pull out of th driveway for a long trip. I’d get AAA for piece of mind and maybe put together a bag of some fuses and some extra relays to have on hand just in case.
Get the aaa long haul option (200 miles me thinks).

Get the aaa long haul option (200 miles me thinks).
Agreed. That’s the Premiere membership and the one I’ve always had. Love it because I never knew if you lose your car key they will pay to replace it. And I’m talking about the expensive remote key. That alone paid my membership fee and then some!

Here is the hidden truth about dealerships…they are trained to plug into the cars computer, be told what’s wrong, and replace the defective part.
That is all they are trained to do. Nothing more. They do not diagnosis. They do what the computer tells them.
The advantage they do have is mass collected data from the entire network of dealerships. (1500 of this vehicle has been in around this mileage for this repair)
They use college kids to do the oil changes.
The master tech only does the big involved high money jobs.

I am so glad you have your truck back and it is fixed.

Here is the hidden truth about dealerships…they are trained to plug into the cars computer, be told what’s wrong, and replace the defective part.
That is all they are trained to do. Nothing more. They do not diagnosis. They do what the computer tells them.
The advantage they do have is mass collected data from the entire network of dealerships. (1500 of this vehicle has been in around this mileage for this repair)
They use college kids to do the oil changes.
The master tech only does the big involved high money jobs.

I am so glad you have your truck back and it is fixed.
Thank you Spike. I suspected that taking my truck in with no code is why that service writer lost his job. Just a hunch….but it was a circus side show everything that happened there to say the least.

So far I have about 310 miles with no stalling. The only thing I feel that needs to be fixed now is my brain…🤣🤣🤣…I keep thinking it’s going to stall on me-I guess it happened one too many times!

So far I have about 310 miles with no stalling. The only thing I feel that needs to be fixed now is my brain…🤣🤣🤣…I keep thinking it’s going to stall on me-I guess it happened one too many times!
Take your pic for brain reconfiguration

cFCmC7j (1).gif

On my 2001 LX, the Denso 950-0107 Fuel Pump is the OEM Toyota pump at a discounted price. $133.00 It probably took me 2 hours to replace it and the hardest part was removing and reinstalling the big 2nd row seat by myself.

Amazon product ASIN B00274QIVM
P.S. I am a firm believer in replacing all these type of electronic things before they go out. I replaced my fuel pump, EFI relay, 02 sensors, all 8 coil packs and etc. before they even gave me any major problems. I even have a new fuse block waiting in my garage for my next good opportunity to change it out. Then my next project is going to be change out all 8 fuel injectors.

The 100 Series is made to last an extremely long time but, 20 years is a long time for any electronic component.
@KillerBox - Do you have a scheduled maintenance list that you’re using to know what to replace? I’d like to start doing this as a preventative and I have googled to try to find for my truck and cannot find “Scheduled Maintenance for 2000 Land Cruiser” I looked through all my documents and manuals also and nothing. Any help is much appreciated! Thx! 😃

@KillerBox - Do you have a scheduled maintenance list that you’re using to know what to replace? I’d like to start doing this as a preventative and I have googled to try to find for my truck and cannot find “Scheduled Maintenance for 2000 Land Cruiser” I looked through all my documents and manuals also and nothing. Any help is much appreciated! Thx! 😃

Scheduled maintence is easy to set up and do. Easy as pie to keep track of as well.
Every 5,000 miles oil change and driveline greased.
Every 50,000 miles change the transmission fluid, the gear oil in the transfer case and both differentials, as well as the power steering fluid and fuel filter.
Every two years change the engine coolant and brake fluid.
Spark plugs every 100,000 miles.

Have the heater “T”s replaced with metal ones, they are on the firewall. Do a search on here, tons of info. Mine are brass from the hardware store.

Replace the thermostat every time you have the timing belt replaced.

The fuel pump will last longer with proper fuel filter replacements, the filter gets dirty and the pump has to work harder, which burns it out sooner.
Also, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, continually running your gas tank near empty will shorten the life of the fuel pump.

If you start this schedule at 300k, it will be super easy to keep track of.
For oil changes I do not worry about the ‘100’s’, only the ‘1000s’.
Oil changed at 275,xxx miles. Next oil change at 280,xxx miles. Then 285,xxx and so on.
300,xxx changed transmission fluid, gear oil etc…next service is 350,xxx.
Changed engine coolant in summer of 2021, next change is summer of 2023.

This time you go a few hundred miles over, next time you go a few hundred miles less, it all comes out in the wash.

Scheduled maintence is easy to set up and do. Easy as pie to keep track of as well.
Every 5,000 miles oil change and driveline greased.
Every 50,000 miles change the transmission fluid, the gear oil in the transfer case and both differentials, as well as the power steering fluid and fuel filter.
Every two years change the engine coolant and brake fluid.
Spark plugs every 100,000 miles.

Have the heater “T”s replaced with metal ones, they are on the firewall. Do a search on here, tons of info. Mine are brass from the hardware store.

Replace the thermostat every time you have the timing belt replaced.

The fuel pump will last longer with proper fuel filter replacements, the filter gets dirty and the pump has to work harder, which burns it out sooner.
Also, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, continually running your gas tank near empty will shorten the life of the fuel pump.

If you start this schedule at 300k, it will be super easy to keep track of.
For oil changes I do not worry about the ‘100’s’, only the ‘1000s’.
Oil changed at 275,xxx miles. Next oil change at 280,xxx miles. Then 285,xxx and so on.
300,xxx changed transmission fluid, gear oil etc…next service is 350,xxx.
Changed engine coolant in summer of 2021, next change is summer of 2023.

This time you go a few hundred miles over, next time you go a few hundred miles less, it all comes out in the wash.
Thanks Spike! This helps a lot and much appreciated! 😃

^^^^^

Good advice, often overlooked by folks.

FF2.jpg

FF3.jpg

Where is the fuel pump relay found on the 1999/2000 LC?

Where is the fuel pump relay found on the 1999/2000 LC?
Under the hood on the right side If I remember correctly. It’s the grey relay with the white sticker on it.

You can also reference this thread….

984873D0-DCB7-45AB-97F1-760BBCADF5BE.jpeg

44BDDA1F-D66C-4D5C-86A7-9930AEC76064.jpeg

Last edited:
Wendy2000LC, Spike555 gave us some good advice on maintenance intervals. As far as replacing the electronics, I haven't seen a maintenance schedule to replace relays, fuse blocks, 02 sensors and etc. I think it is accepted practice of waiting for a problem to replace.

I would rather replace before a problem because in my opinion it is worth it. I can replace at my leisure, get the best price on parts and I plan on keeping my 2001LX forever.

So far I have been doing the wrenching myself but, if I could find a trusted mechanic in my area, I would drop it off to get almost electronic component replaced that might leave me stranded that I haven't done yet.

Wendy2000LC, Spike555 gave us some good advice on maintenance intervals. As far as replacing the electronics, I haven't seen a maintenance schedule to replace relays, fuse blocks, 02 sensors and etc. I think it is accepted practice of waiting for a problem to replace.

I would rather replace before a problem because in my opinion it is worth it. I can replace at my leisure, get the best price on parts and I plan on keeping my 2001LX forever.

So far I have been doing the wrenching myself but, if I could find a trusted mechanic in my area, I would drop it off to get almost electronic component replaced that might leave me stranded that I haven't done yet.

You can throw a couple relays into your glove box and if they start acting up you replace them.
Most relays will start working again if you tap on them, then you buy a new one at the auto parts store and carry on.

I’m back with my FINAL UPDATE unless anything changes.
I have put 550 miles on the good ol’ girl since the repair and NO INTERMITTENT FAILURES AT ALL!!! Can I get a THANK GOODNESS and WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
I’ve learned a ton from this experience and all I can Is THANK YOU to everyone who encouraged me to keep my rig and told me it could def be fixed. I came soooo close to laying her to rest.
So here’s to the past 21 years with my girl and hopefully many more to come!

Couldn’t have done it without all the help, advise and encouragement from all of you! Many Blessings!!!!!

To recap…..

Throttle Body and Fuel Filter did not alleviate the intermittent failing in the middle of driving. That was the the first parts tried. It also was not the battery connections. That was changed also. And it wasn’t the alternator.
What did work was replacing the fuel pump, both ignition relays and the fuel injector relay.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you've had success! I have a 2000 LC and had similar issues, resolved with cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF).
Thank you! It’s been quite the journey! Glad you got yours resolved also. I’m going to start working on preventative. I have almost 300K miles. I’m going to add that to my list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom