2F engine oil consumption (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey MUD,

looking for some experienced opinions regarding 2F oil consumption. A bit of a backstory, my engine was rebuilt in May of this year, I have been enjoying using the land cruiser as my daily ever since, but have noticed some blue smoke again from the exhaust after about 3k miles on the rebuild. It is only noticeable under engine braking down relatively long grades. Seems to likely be a valve guide or valve guide seal issue by my best guess. The shop that did the rebuild warranties their work for 1 year, but do you think it’s worth taking it back? Or is some oil consumption normal when it comes to the 1960’s style tractor engine that Toyota calls the 2F? I have added about 2 quarts in roughly 2500 miles to keep it topped off.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, I have put a ton of effort into fixing this truck up and it’s frustrating to say the least to think something has gone wrong.
thanks in advance.
Ryan

Hey MUD,

looking for some experienced opinions regarding 2F oil consumption. A bit of a backstory, my engine was rebuilt in May of this year, I have been enjoying using the land cruiser as my daily ever since, but have noticed some blue smoke again from the exhaust after about 3k miles on the rebuild. It is only noticeable under engine braking down relatively long grades. Seems to likely be a valve guide or valve guide seal issue by my best guess. The shop that did the rebuild warranties their work for 1 year, but do you think it’s worth taking it back? Or is some oil consumption normal when it comes to the 1960’s style tractor engine that Toyota calls the 2F? I have added about 2 quarts in roughly 2500 miles to keep it topped off.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, I have put a ton of effort into fixing this truck up and it’s frustrating to say the least to think something has gone wrong.
thanks in advance.
Ryan
That’s not normal and you should hold them to the warranty for sure. If it is just a valve guide it will be easy for them to fix. If you wait till the warranty is void it will get worse and you’ll have to fix it yourself or pay someone to do it again. Don’t hesitate to bring it back to them and have them do it right.

I wonder if the warranty will start over again after they repair it? Ask them.

My 2F burned on average 1 quart every 3000 miles ever since it was newish in 1988 w 45K on the odo. 30 years later with 290K on it, it burned about the same amount.

My 2F burned on average 1 quart every 3000 miles ever since it was newish in 1988 w 45K on the odo. 30 years later with 290K on it, it burned about the same amount.
I would expect some consumption, but blue smoke seems excessive.

I’ll ask em! At least I’m getting good at pulling the engine 😩
Real world skills right there. None of this tiktok dancing BS.... wait... can you tiktok a 2f rebuild? That was a dumb question... carry on!

I'll probably jinx it, but at 240K miles I don't remember ever having to add any oil...Of course I've changed it many times--every 5K miles. I've been using Castrol 20W50. This engine keeps the oil cleaner longer than any engine I've owned. The oil does get darker with time, but it never really turns black as so may others seem to do. I have no idea what is so special, though....

2 qts in 2500 miles is excessive. On rare occasions, valve stem seals pop loose and that results in blue smoke (prematurely). Be sure to run at least 10w-30/40 or 15w-40 (diesel oil) in your engine. I

General rule of thumb is 1 quart of oil usage in 1000 miles is considered excessive... at least that was General Motors guidelines.
If you can perform a cylinder leakage test to see if there are any leaks.
Have you looked at the plugs to see if there are signs of it being burned in the cylinder?

I'm going to guess the rings have not sealed. Engine braking increase vacuum and oil is being sucked into the cylinder and blown out the exhaust. Pull the plugs and check their condition.
Will do!

Or seated...
Have you just been driving it around town?
I have been driving it all over. I have about 3K miles on the rebuild including some highway trips. Primarily driven around mountain roads to get to work.

2 qts in 2500 miles is excessive. On rare occasions, valve stem seals pop loose and that results in blue smoke (prematurely). Be sure to run at least 10w-30/40 or 15w-40 (diesel oil) in your engine. I
I am currently running 15w-40. I thought generally valve stem seals leak into the cylinder when the vehicle is parked, usually resulting in smoke at start up. The engine braking smoke is somewhat bizarre. Unless like Jim mentioned I have a ring seating issue.

Traditionally, as i recall, you'd take a new engine up to "freeway speed" for a few (?) Hours to seat the rings

When they rebuilt the engine did they hone the cylinder walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom