New Belts - PS pump whining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all -
I recently replaced my thermostat, water pump, hoses and belts. It’s running great, over heating problem is solved. However, I’m getting a power steering whine that wasn’t an issue before I did the work. Could the whining be from the belts being too loose? Also, if I’m going to bleed the system I pull the cap off the reservoir and crank the wheel? Engine off?

Hey all -
I recently replaced my thermostat, water pump, hoses and belts. It’s running great, over heating problem is solved. However, I’m getting a power steering whine that wasn’t an issue before I did the work. Could the whining be from the belts being too loose? Also, if I’m going to bleed the system I pull the cap off the reservoir and crank the wheel? Engine off?
What year truck and what brand of belts did you install?

The belts that are cogged on the inside will whine against the idler pulley because they are the wrong belts on a 1FZ-E.

If you buy Toyota belts, you will see they are not cogged.

I only use Toyota parts. It’s a 94. The belts I took off were clogged. The engine runs much quieter now, but whines when turning the wheel.

I get some whining when I turn hard right, and hard right only. More like a tiny squeal. Doesn’t both me much, but I also plan to eventually do an overhaul on the PS system.

How and when do you get your whine?

OEM Toyota belts for the 1FZ-FE are not cogged belts. If you got them at the dealer take them back, tell them you want the real stuff. BTW the power steering pump is gear driven so if you have noise when turning its not a belt.

It’s just a general whine whenever I’m turning the wheel. It’s not awful, but most likely an indicator of a creeping issue.

The new belts are not cogged. They are Toyota belts. I’m trying to stick with all OEM parts as I solve all the issues this thing has. I just bought it a few weeks ago. That’s a really good point about the pump being gear driven. I’m going to add some fluid tomorrow and try to bleed any air out of the lines.

First I would recommend changing your fluid. Then bleeding it.

Toyota Recommends ATF Dextron II or III. Make sure not to get the higher dextron ATF like DEX VI as it is a thinner viscosity for the newer transmissions.

Ya probably a good idea. Does Toyota recommend a certain fluid?

I just did a flush and refill on mine - I used the Redline D4 ATF and am pleased with it. It's Dexron II and Dexron III. I have been a fan of Redline fluids.

My steering feels much more fluid and light. Maybe imaginary but it feels that way anyway.

If you plan on doing a full flush then i suggest using hydraulic fluid rather than ATF. The fluid that Toyota uses at the factory isn't ATF. Any ISO 32 oil should be good such as Mobil DTE24.
Don't underestimate how long it takes to fully bleed the system. Definitely not a quick back and forth of the steering wheel. I recommend bleeding with wheels off the ground and engine off. If the engine is running the steering pump vanes make big air bubbles into millions of tiny air bubbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom