Truck will not go into drive and reverse after messing with CDL and h-n-l selector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Full disclosure i am an 80 series noob. I was attempting to engage my cdl for the first time so could pull the front drive shaft today and change ujoints next week. I could not get it to engage (i hit the switch a boat load of times) so i figured i would try messing with the h-n-l selector to determine if the cdl switch relay was bad. I thought I heard the cdl engaging but no light came on the dash. I then proceeded to shift into low multiple times, which was followed by grinding noises.

Now I can no longer put the truck in gear. Drive, reverse, and low do not work anymore and there is a grinding noise when i shift back into park.

Please help.

Hey all. Full disclosure i am an 80 series noob. I was attempting to engage my cdl for the first time so could pull the front drive shaft today and change ujoints next week. I could not get it to engage (i hit the switch a boat load of times) so i figured i would try messing with the h-n-l selector to determine if the cdl switch relay was bad. I thought I heard the cdl engaging but no light came on the dash. I then proceeded to shift into low multiple times, which was followed by grinding noises.

Now I can no longer put the truck in gear. Drive, reverse, and low do not work anymore and there is a grinding noise when i shift back into park.

Please help.
I'm an idiot everyone. H-L-N was in neutral and I had to force it into High.

Glad you found it, that was beginning to read like a disaster was eminent.

Oh and while we're here....
WELCOME TO MUD! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I'm an idiot everyone. H-L-N was in neutral and I had to force it into High.
Thanks for letting us know.

You do have a switch on the dash for CDL? What year is your truck? Some years came with it standard, others did not.

From your avatar, it looks like an LX, so it would not necessarily have come from the factory with a CDL.

You can achieve the CDL lock by placing the transfer case shifter into L, confirm it engages, then shut off the truck.
Pull the fuse for the CDL.
Start the truck and shift the TCase back to H. Should drive as a 2WD truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom