Toyota Dealer refused to flush AHC system on 2001 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because it's not something they deal with and they don't care. Most service managers don't have much technical backround. All they think about are CSI surveys and keeping things moving.
So true. A former colleague of mine retired and was hired by Dodge as a Service Manager. He knew nothing about cars and less about vehicle maintenance. He was a bullsh1t artist who was good at selling additional services.

"Service" yes, oil changes and tire rotation packages....Fixing every jalopy that comes in, no.

They profit on parts and service, both of which jalopy's require. Anyone that takes their car to the dealership for service contributes, some more than others.

High milage cars pay better. Warranty work doesn't pay well. Also service is the primary opportunity for tradeins.

They profit on parts and service, both of which jalopy's require. Anyone that takes their car to the dealership for service contributes, some more than others.

High milage cars pay better. Warranty work doesn't pay well. Also service is the primary opportunity for tradeins.

Since when is a Land Cruiser that retails new for almost 90,000 a jalopy?

Since when is a Land Cruiser that retails new for almost 90,000 a jalopy?

eventually they area all jalopy's - referencing the MSRP of your 20+ yr old vehicle is a bit absurd.

The dealership doesn't want to perform and low labor revenue service with a high opportunity for complications the customer will often blame them for.

Same reason I turned away high mileage transmission flush services when I was working for a dealer unless we had extensive records of the prior services.

Service is service. I don't know where some of you come up with these ideas.

its a 1.0-2.0 hr job at best - a high volume dealer service dept doesn't have the time to mess with the high likelihood your older vehicle has additional issues particularly in an overly complex hydraulic suspension.

I didn't come up with this idea its from experience. I worked many jobs in fixed ops eventually as a foreman then service manager. We had a high mileage waiver for situations like this because often times it is not worth the trouble and the customer will often associate any new items that crop up on their older vehicle with whatever operation was performed.

Just tried to get my AHC flushed, since to my knowledge it hasn't been flushed at any point in the last 224,000 miles. Figured it would be a good baseline maintenance item for the truck. The Toyota Service Manager refused to flush it, claiming that it is a sealed system and does not need to be flushed. I just wanted some opinions from you guys. Should I go to an independent mechanic to try to get it flushed? I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I'm willing to try doing it myself also.
It does need an occasional flush dead easy to do

Service is service. I don't know where some of you come up with these ideas.
No it's not, some jobs are quick and easy and some take time and are complicated. Some jobs they do 100 a week. Changing AHC globes for a rando customer on their 20 year old vehicle is likely not profitable when the same tech can do 5 other oil changes or warranty jobs in the time it takes him to come up to speed on it.

IMO this response boils down to laziness, short term profit motive and lawyers. And most people don't know any better so they get away with it. A common occurrence at dealers IMO (even seen how often finance 'errors' occur in buying a car? Hint: they're never in your favor)

As relates to service, take as the lesson it should be: nobody cares more about your truck than you do. The sooner you learn to take care if yourself, the better. Even if you elect to have someone else do work on it, your knowledge will do a much better job of screening this BS out.

And @ramangain is right. It'll take you less time to do this yourself than it will to drive to the dealer and back anyways.

No it's not, some jobs are quick and easy and some take time and are complicated. Some jobs they do 100 a week. Changing AHC globes for a rando customer on their 20 year old vehicle is likely not profitable when the same tech can do 5 other oil changes or warranty jobs in the time it takes him to come up to speed on it.
Toyota doesn't pay warranty at the same rate that a customer pays.

its a 1.0-2.0 hr job at best - a high volume dealer service dept doesn't have the time to mess with the high likelihood your older vehicle has additional issues particularly in an overly complex hydraulic suspension.

I didn't come up with this idea its from experience. I worked many jobs in fixed ops eventually as a foreman then service manager. We had a high mileage waiver for situations like this because often times it is not worth the trouble and the customer will often associate any new items that crop up on their older vehicle with whatever operation was performed.

So let me get this straight, a vehicle that has a 25 year service life they're going to have a high mileage waiver? When does this high mileage waiver start?

I do know a bit about the workings of a Toyota service department ;) Point of this thread...

This thread...

Last edited:
Just keep in mind dealerships aren't owned by Mr. T or Ms. L. A process instituted at one dealership cannot be guaranteed to be across the entire dealer network.

Not accurate at all. Service is almost always the largest profit center at a dealership.
I am talking from my experience from few Toyota dealerships and Chevrolet dealerships....I have been told not to fix my vehicles anymore and buy a new ones...Experiences with them leaving the vehicle there for weeks-nothing fixed.....Not all dealerships are the same there might be some better ones out here but overal experience I got is not good at all

Unfortunately dealers often give this exact response. On the bright side, you probably don't want them working on it anyways. ;)

I have a flush video shot, but not edited. Maybe 2022.

Not helpful for op but for those in the Denver area, we're offering AHC services at the ADGU shop in Frederick/Erie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom