Loose motor mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wheeling this weekend and noticed I had a good sized radiator leak (I think, I haven’t fully removed it yet) is the hole sheared in the shroud indicative of a loose motor mount or could it be something else? Would also appreciate any tips for removing those bastard bolts that hold the fan clutch on. I removed two and stripped the other two.

B94F2EEE-DCB5-424F-AA27-1053C96AC48E.jpeg

7C181DE7-A144-4B56-B1E3-F908E9588077.jpeg

DAFA625F-21F8-4BFE-AE8B-CEAF545C5BCC.jpeg

DAD0C2BC-EAA8-46B4-A63B-8327694E76AB.jpeg

Pure conjecture here but I'd say yes.
Be easy to confirm in the driveway with some gentle power braking yeah? See if the fan reaches in the direction of the scuffing on the shroud.

Put your front tires up against a curb, stand on your brakes with the transmission in drive and being the rpm's up to 2,000. While doing this have somebody stand on the SIDE of the rig and watch your motor mounts for movement.

For the fan bolts make sure you use a 6 sided hex box end wrench to avoid rounding the bolts.

Goodluck

Thanks guys, I figure I'll just replace them regardless that way I don't need to worry about them for awhile. It also seems like they are the only culprit for the shroud damage I had. A loose transmission mount likely wouldn't cause that kind of forward pressure into the fan right?

A loose transmission mount likely wouldn't cause that kind of forward pressure into the fan right?
Less likely with good engine mounts. But I think it's recommended doing tranny mount when one does engine mounts.

I decided to go ahead with the job even though I haven’t received my transmission mount in the mail yet. It looked pretty good too from the check I gave it while under the truck.

I believe its been discussed before, but how did you end up lifting the engine to get the old mounts out? I'm thinking I need to do this at some point and I'm lookin for tips on lifting the engine.

I believe its been discussed before, but how did you end up lifting the engine to get the old mounts out? I'm thinking I need to do this at some point and I'm lookin for tips on lifting the engine.

I used an engine hoist when I did mine (because I have one) but most folks are able to use a jack from underneath and do one side at a time. I have read accounts of where folks have little to no problems replacing them and others (me included) that would rather have our skin peeled off in small strips than do the job again.

Whatever you choose to do....DO support the engine with something other than what you lifted it with. It is pretty damn spooky putting your hands between the engine and frame mounts.

I did this job yesterday and it took me a good long while and lots of frustration. However it was my first time doing it. I used the jack and stack of 2X4 method and will admit I was very creeped out having my hands up in there.

I used an engine hoist when I did mine (because I have one) but most folks are able to use a jack from underneath and do one side at a time. I have read accounts of where folks have little to no problems replacing them and others (me included) that would rather have our skin peeled off in small strips than do the job again.

Whatever you choose to do....DO support the engine with something other than what you lifted it with. It is pretty damn spooky putting your hands between the engine and frame mounts.
Always good advice to have "backup" support.
My engine & transmission are out, so easy peasy!
Don't get me started 'bout the Bushing replacement job...

Try having your fingers in-between the frame and body at 10 different locations with the body being lifted off the frame with a 2X4 on end like this lol.

20210911_224400.jpg
20210911_224338.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom