80 series used prices...wow! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got bored and looked in the classifieds at what 80s are going for. Wow, are they really selling for that much? I bought mine about 9 years ago when it was lame Cruiser that no one wanted.

I wanted a 60 but couldn't afford one at the time. Now I cant believe what i am seeing people asking for the 80s. What's up with these prices?

People who grew up in the 80s/90s finally reaching an age with disposable income and a desire to recreate their youth.

add in limit supply (slowing being killed by rust), the fact very few modern vehicles can compare to the charm and robustness of the 80..

And the fact used vehicles incur no tax makes them good investments.
If you think used 80s are bad, go checkout supras and skylines.
I’m still kicking myself for listening to my parents and not buying a complete stock Manual R34 GTR in blue in 2005 for $50k...

If you haven’t already, have a look at bringatrailer.com.

Some nice 80’s going for really high prices. A couple have sold for over 100k. Crazy

Jeez, if I end up selling my triple locked FZJ80 tomorrow for 10K, it'll be a bargain.

I got bored and looked in the classifieds at what 80s are going for. Wow, are they really selling for that much? I bought mine about 9 years ago when it was lame Cruiser that no one wanted.

I wanted a 60 but couldn't afford one at the time. Now I cant believe what i am seeing people asking for the 80s. What's up with these prices?
I've noticed boredom doing that too, ever since AMC, GME, and Doge.
It's funny that I'm seeing drivable sub-$10k 60s pretty frequently.
Not sure that I understand it. Just glad I didn't catch that bug.

Thought I'd bump this thread to share a news article I saw today from here down under:
They do have the new 300 series prices to contend with, something likely only to drive more buyers toward something more affordable, even if it's a now pricey 80 series.

Toyota stating that the 80 was the epitome of off road performance they emulated in designing the 300 sure doesn't hurt pricing either.

There were 1000’s of rust free average and above mileage 80 series Land Cruisers shipped over seas 10-15 years ago, mostly during the gas price spikes during the US recession, because they were cheap here in the US.

Buyers with foreign connections would purchase EVERY 80 series on dealer lots at retail price and at auto auctions, where most were being dumped at $4 a gallon gas prices and 14 mpg. Gas was much cheaper in the ME, Africa etc. where these were very popular and worth 2X the low value US buyers placed on them.

Between rust and other scrappage, exporting, and those who have held and will hold on to them, there aren’t nearly enough to supply the overland, trail, collector demand.

I still think there are some good 80’s to be bought at $15k and above, $20k+ gets a better one, either way there is another $5-$10k to spend for fun and piece of mind, but compared to not so cheap 4Runner and Tacoma prices, I will probably drive an 80 forever or until EV’s stop saving enough gas for me to use!

I’ve had 3 different people over the last 2 years knock on my door asking if my 80 was for sale. There is no for sale sign on the truck.

The last person offered $20k cash. I bought it in 2003 for $12k with 103k~ miles. It now has 185k~ and more rust.

The wifey won’t let me sell and id rather restore it at some point, or have one of the mud experts restore it.

If someone offers me $50k I may change my mind

I've been building 60 series for years, all centered around LS motor swaps, with an occasional swap in an 80 series. In the past two years the 80 series has moved right up next to the 60 series in both inquiries and booking swaps. The pricing has also moved up along with popularity. The hardest part of this for my shop is that I often require an 80 rolling chassis to put under a 60 series body. Gone are the days when I could pick up an 80 with a blown motor or trans for sub $2K and sell off the rest. That same truck is not $5-7K even with a non running motor. I get a good amount of calls from people that do not even own the vehicle yet looking on pricing to swap it and build it.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not just the Land Cruiser. Vintage SUVs are bringing top dollar across the board. Classic vehicles of every type are killing it at auctions across the country, in any condition. Those $2-5K shells that builders would buy and rebuild are now $7K and up depending on model.

I was at Barnes and Noble cruisinh magazines and next to Overland Journal is a mag I’d never seen before that was ONLY about vintage 4x4s. Range River Classics, Mitsubishi Pajeros, Willies Jeeps were all featured. Very slick and beautiful pictures filled with millenials eloping in their classic 4x4s and other such gram-worthy photo opportunities. It cost $10, so I didn’t get it and the name escapes me. Starts with an “E”….

The classic 4x4 market has been, and will continue to be very hot. And where I live, Toyota rules. I sold my 80 with a mismatched hood and bad tranny for $3500 (poverty pack and no lockers). The buyer flipped it for $10k a month later with absolutely zero work done to it.

If ya got one, and were ever thinking about selling, now’s the time…

The world has gone crazy.

It's not just the old classics. My 2017 Diesel Dually is now worth 10k more then I payed for it new 🤷‍♂️ go figure.

Personally, I don't think it's fear, craziness, or panic, just a realization of a usable classic.

Instead of limited use sports and muscle cars, the current buyers have kids and/or active lifestyles and vintage SUV's fit perfectly.

Go by any any soccer, baseball, lacrosse field, country club, fly fishing river access point etc. and you find several classic SUV's/Trucks parked there.

When i sold my 60 in 2004 they were going for about 2500. couldn't get more, I refused to take less,it was in good shape had a 3' lift. I never should have bought that jeep rubicon. Well sold the Jeep for 13000. and bought my lx for 3200. lx had 206000, jeep had 75000. Should have kept the 60 and bought a lx

When i sold my 60 in 2004 they were going for about 2500. couldn't get more, I refused to take less,it was in good shape had a 3' lift. I never should have bought that jeep rubicon. Well sold the Jeep for 13000. and bought my lx for 3200. lx had 206000, jeep had 75000. Should have kept the 60 and bought a lx
This is exactly where I’ve landed.

In Canada, 200k miles, Classic Car Registered in BC, Lower Mainland truck in outstanding condition. Triple Locked 1993 FZJ80. 2" lift on new 33" Toyos. What's it worth?
IMG_9420.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom