Coil to Distributor Wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How does one insert the distributor wire into the coil? A little clip on the metal nose of the wire baffles me.

If it’s the right end, just push it in. The clip shouldice make it fit snugly in the hole.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the little clip prevents insertion into the hole. I may have to enlist the help of Joe, my mechanic (for money). Joe is a retired Toyota factory trained mechanic who runs a small shop here in Redding, CA - Valley Toy Service. He only works on Toyotas and has owned a couple of FJ40's in the past. He's a great asset. I recommend him. Of course, the likelihood of any of you traveling through here in your FJ40 is slim to none.

I thought the little clip was only on one end for the spark plugs? Do you have the wrong sort of leads? You might have the sort of leads designed for dizzy caps and coil with the male lead plugs, rather than sockets.

I thought the little clip was only on one end for the spark plugs? Do you have the wrong sort of leads? You might have the sort of leads designed for dizzy caps and coil with the male lead plugs, rather than sockets.
Well - I removed the coil from the vehicle, cleaned and painted it and the bracket. So, I am attempting to replace what I removed, including the coil to distributor wire. It all came apart fine but not reinserting it. Without the clip, it is too loose. With the clip, it is impossible to insert. I'll visit with my mechanic on Monday. Or, I'll shop for a new wire at NAPA. Thanks for responding - I hope I can help you someday.

Welcome to the forum T.D. If you can figure out how to upload some pics, it might help us help you.
I thought the Belden wires from Napa were a good stock replacement. (for my 74 anyway) And I thought the AC Delco wires were garbage..

Dielectric grease is good for the boots on the wires for the dizzy cap, spark plugs and the coil.
But for the metal to metal connections of the ignition wires, dielectric grease isn't a conductor although many get away with using it.
I like to use dielectric/silicone grease on the boots and a conductant/lubricant on the metal to metal connections.
For this I use these two "Dielectric Grease" and "Ox-Gard"
A little tricky keeping them separate, but I think it's worth it.

You need the clip on the end of wire. Lube it and squeeze it with pliers till it goes in with some force but not too easily.

Contact @reddingcruiser Dick's a local cruiserhead that would be glad to help.

Welcome to Mud!

Send him a private message here on the forum or he may chime on when he sees this message.

Of course, the likelihood of any of you traveling through here in your FJ40 is slim to none.
I wouldn't be so sure about that:

The briefcase may be headed to Southern California soon, and should be making its way north, just like the red toolbox a few years ago. You should definitely stay on top of this, it's a great way to meet up with other FJ40 owners.

ignition-coil-and-spark-jpg.943874

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom