Wont star at random, hot or cold, not even a click (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had this happen last week. Drove to the gas station then home. After sitting for about 20 mins, I go to leave and zero power when I turn the key. No lights, my autometer gages don't light up, wipers don't work. Zero power inside, no clicks, nothing. Then after about 5 to 10 mins, it turns over and starts right up. It's only happened twice now. I did wiggle my keys, replaced the fuse just off the battery... last time that fuse was blown, but it was not fried this time. I wiggled the phone charger in my cigarette lighter outlet, and I also wiggles the keys in the ignition. About 10 seconds later it started up. New battery and alternator in the last month, pulley and fan loosened up and tightened it up, 15 seconds later it was loose and rattling, so it was replaced. What cause all power to just stop, lights, radio... everything and then just start a few minutes uses later?

So I had this happen last week. Drove to the gas station then home. After sitting for about 20 mins, I go to leave and zero power when I turn the key. No lights, my autometer gages don't light up, wipers don't work. Zero power inside, no clicks, nothing. Then after about 5 to 10 mins, it turns over and starts right up. It's only happened twice now. I did wiggle my keys, replaced the fuse just off the battery... last time that fuse was blown, but it was not fried this time. I wiggled the phone charger in my cigarette lighter outlet, and I also wiggles the keys in the ignition. About 10 seconds later it started up. New battery and alternator in the last month, pulley and fan loosened up and tightened it up, 15 seconds later it was loose and rattling, so it was replaced. What cause all power to just stop, lights, radio... everything and then just start a few minutes uses later?
It's a '76 jf40, desmogged for years now. Did put a new fuel filter in today before all power went dead

Heat does strange things not to mention, contacts in the fuse block could probably need some cleaning.

How old was the battery and alt you replaced? Were they tested? Let's see pictures of your battery, and the wiring connected to it, along with your fuse block. And your battery ground cable, and where it terminates.

Last edited:
How old was the battery and alt you replaced? Were they tested? Let's see pictures of your battery, and the wiring connected to it, along with your fuse block. And your battery ground cable, and where it terminates.
I will go out and grab a few picks. My red top goes in, in the morning. Battery from another car is in there now. Gimme 10

Alternator 4 days ago,

Last edited:
Although 4 days ago,
Optima tomorrow, I do have a fused link, 25 Amp, and I replaced that. And the fuse box. I have a new positive cable to put on but my link is a flat connector, the one on my new cable is round so I have to work around that.

20210910_205956.jpg

20210910_210007.jpg

20210910_210047.jpg

From doing research, it sounds like it is the ignition switch in the steering column. It has all the symptoms. This morning she was dead, no electrical activity at all when I turn the key. Nothing in the rig works. That's a ignition switch, I'm fairly sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom