TOYOTA PIC OF THE DAY POST (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know when a clip flies across the garage and you spend an hour looking for it?

It never occurred to me to look at my computer which lives on the top shelf.

Fawking seriously...:lol: :bang:

qzPzakFqu1uJYxsZEkYnzv-4uwFDoIaIupbzgXheOzW_JNTHXkH-8_3iiVv7aXnZNPkrJtSBio1B0qQbFt0sSJ8SNZpgZ6hsIcliNXFgvYK20imwYi-icSiR7biceDnoDRrfqfcbYW6QTo9rUXZbDPo7VnxRkNcleagh-mEG3p5cTNeIkL_PJPYfM2oJCg_Jqnu8-dss2-FWieSuRc7mCVHyJ7a_V38H2UcUXXvsVZZXoIDYYcdukx5wLoTjrHd9ZIBCT6phB8yXF1H4Fd84ITb78RGjdENOgYDKtxz3ntqV-qc4DjfVYVede_E8huMvGU95kSycO75563lHkq9u1j6HhQl9uOAbPeuezhupaOiilOkCanjFpjy4ddbuxznWjt3X98PFkdlW_b2kTmPwdj6tp8p_Nnzab0DgN8q5qEMSwbd5vty1vW0CKsCtQ_CX8Rdjp-2cI_EicwS1sCAg522NaOlkrWgmO3EYf6OQ_6OLMroHHSRINdBADVkWc2Io6ag_PN3Gf_wTMm0aCi0bKggox369wdQh_RIoznX07oLDJXz7tQFulR3-X46HEpMHrnnC7KJHMvz87YRsgCa9klHoZupH6MGfa-i4SADfbt2F_7VWYVO0JqH709JPm1zF3oDBPb5XzVQbCh66enZO0Gr66QqnOtlL0uF_Z4WDIJVomc_9NfWn_n71mfSxLLwk_JWUmSxEUXc-QY9kLjNm1E0K=w469-h625-no

Spotted this nice one today.
View attachment 2781176

Yup, I was too lazy (or smart?) to repair an aging section of exhaust, so that is the repair guy doing a test run in my truck after making the fix I guess. I went to Budget Brake and Muffler and was happy with their service actually. Guy tried to keep the price down for me. Believe it or not, they're one of the few shops around that still do custom exhaust fab (most just buy pre-formed exhaust and install only). Anyhow, I'd recommend them. They say they're doing lots of work on RHD's now too.

Test drive after an exhaust build? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Test drive after an exhaust build? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Joyride perhaps?

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, exhaust can rattle or interfere with moving parts etc if not done right....

Yup, I was too lazy (or smart?) to repair an aging section of exhaust, so that is the repair guy doing a test run in my truck after making the fix I guess. I went to Budget Brake and Muffler and was happy with their service actually. Guy tried to keep the price down for me. Believe it or not, they're one of the few shops around that still do custom exhaust fab (most just buy pre-formed exhaust and install only). Anyhow, I'd recommend them. They say they're doing lots of work on RHD's now too.
Good to know… when I stopped at Midas with my GT6, many years back, they wanted $700 for a 90* bend, five feet of pipe, another bend, a muffler, and a turn down after it. In today’s dollars it would likely be $1400. I drove it home and built the exhaust out of scraped Fj40 roll bar, a $25 muffler, and $10 of miscellaneous hardware.

I’m pleased to hear there’s a shop that doesn’t want to charge $3-400 an hour for labour for ‘custom’ work.

Good to know… when I stopped at Midas with my GT6, many years back, they wanted $700 for a 90* bend, five feet of pipe, another bend, a muffler, and a turn down after it. In today’s dollars it would likely be $1400. I drove it home and built the exhaust out of scraped Fj40 roll bar, a $25 muffler, and $10 of miscellaneous hardware.

I’m pleased to hear there’s a shop that doesn’t want to charge $3-400 an hour for labour for ‘custom’ work.

I should be clear it wasn't 'cheap' per say, but they were at least cost sensitive. It was certainly what I was willing to pay to not have to crawl under there myself though.

I got my exhaust fixed there too. Great service. Great guys. Recommended!

I should be clear it wasn't 'cheap' per say, but they were at least cost sensitive. It was certainly what I was willing to pay to not have to crawl under there myself though.
As I’m getting older I’m becoming more willing to pay for work to be done… I know getting work done isn’t cheap. Given it was 16+ years ago I wasn’t willing to pay $700 for something I did in my driveway in less than 2 hours with no special tools.

When I built my 40 exhaust, I did it over several days. I chose to build it myself because of how tight it was and how precisely I wanted it done. I’m feel that, without an example, it would have cost a couple grand to have most shops build it. I feel it’s very unlikely I’d have been happy with the finished product that most shops would produce. If I need work done… now I know where I’ll go.

Is it just me or does that look like a credit card to pay for all the expensive parts you’ll need to order because they’re not available here anymore?

Perhaps it’s just my perspective with a 47 year old rig. That said all I need to replace/order now is sheet metal. I guess I fall in the DIY as it’s more money & work to replace the tub rather than patch the rusted out parts. And I certainly can’t afford to drop it somewhere and have everything repaired. With my luck it’d be F’ed up and I would have to fix it anyway,

Don’t get me wrong, lots of other work… just already have the parts.

I thought it was John B’s at first… but the tub has some visible rust, so I knew it wasn’t aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom