Preparing for a 4600km (one way) solo trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday All!
At the end of next week I am taking 6 days to drive 4600km from the South West of Western Australia to Darwin in the Northern Territory! I am doing this solo (only myself and my 60…).
I have spent the past month getting the 60 ready for the trip and doing what I can to reduce the risk of a breakdown…
I thought others might be interested in what I have done (and why) to prepare for such a trip!!
I am also very open to suggestions to what I may have missed!!
First - my 60 is a 1988 Hj61 with a freshly rebuilt 12ht, rebuilt 5 speed manual, GTurbo, PDI Fromt Mount intercooler, +30 injectors, modified injector pump etc… it has now done about 20000kms since the rebuild with any teething issues being tended to…
In specific trip prep, I sold the 31x10.5r15’s and bought 285/75r16’s - this reduces cruising revs which is a lot more pleasant!
I booked the 60 in to a mechanic I trust and they went through it - new brake fluid, new front spring hangers and suspension bushes, and a few other minor maintenance items were sorted…
A new Torsen rear diff was sourced and fitted due to a horrible whine from the diff..
I then made a new centre console and camp kitchen box, as well as running new fridge wiring and additional USB plugs for the 5 weeks we will spend in the bush (and a new 200w Solar Blanket to keep things charged). I also fused and cable-tied any wiring that I must have been in a rush to fit over the past few years!!
I bought a tube of Sikaflex adhesive sealant and ran it around any rattles in the dash (and screws / bolts / nuts throughout the car) - this has already made a big difference to rattles!!
I also had cruise control fitted (easier on my dodgy knee) and I bought a pair of 9” led spot lights - which required new mounts and a fair bit of mucking around to fit into the ARB bar…
Finally, a new canvas centre-pole touring tent and 3mx3m mesh room for areas that may be thick with sand fly’s….
Not to spend the next week fitting everything into and onto the car!!
( I also have a decent first aid kit and am carrying the EPIRB from my boat - just in case….)

D8896C88-EF8E-4242-952A-F1BE64D03310.jpeg

CC9C6844-7D6D-40F9-A869-19A46A18EA9E.jpeg

97AED41F-FAF1-4B2B-B4EF-BAE84460FEC5.jpeg

9447D4D2-0E94-42E9-AC1F-29F5B5A11C4D.jpeg

maybe a roof top tent so all those Australian spiders and snakes dont kill you? :rofl: jk. That sounds like a wonderful adventure. Take plenty of pics for us in the USA to enjoy. Post a trip report.

Sounds like your tuck is all squared away.
But do you have a knife, mate? 🤣

I do have to ask, why the cage around the cooler?

You'll be fine. I've taken countless 4000 KM solo trips out into the boonies with a FJ60. Just remember- that the easiest thing on your cruiser is to drive long distance at comfortable easy cruising speed.
It probably causes more wear on the engine starting it up in freezing temperatures a couple times than it does cruising 4600 KM.

Looks like a solid 60 !!! Be safe on your trip and definitely post lots of pics !!

Thanks for the comments!
As already stated, the cage allows things to be stacked on top and around the fridge without falling against it when pulled out (it is on a fridge slide). It also allows an air gap around it…
A knife is sorted!
Clocks are synced!!

I have also cut out a square of carpet on the tailgate and glued down some stainless steel sheet

Once I arrive in Darwin my wife and 2 daughters fly in to commence a 5 week camping holiday including Kakadu, Litchfield, the GIbb River Road, Cape Leveque, Broome, Exmouth…..

Thanks for the comments!
As already stated, the cage allows things to be stacked on top and around the fridge without falling against it when pulled out (it is on a fridge slide). It also allows an air gap around it…
A knife is sorted!
Clocks are synced!!

I have also cut out a square of carpet on the tailgate and glued down some stainless steel sheet

Once I arrive in Darwin my wife and 2 daughters fly in to commence a 5 week camping holiday including Kakadu, Litchfield, the GIbb River Road, Cape Leveque, Broome, Exmouth…..
That sounds awesome! Jealous! Some day I’ll makw it out there and rent a cruiser while I’m visiting.

Do you have a trail shower sorted out?

Sikaflex to seal up the rattles sounds like a great idea and an improvement in noise and comfort. Looks like you have everything sorted— she'll be right! Good luck and have a good time.

Sounds like a blast!

Me being a paranoid type i have to ask?

What are you taking as spares? (hoses, belts, clamps, RTB gasket stuff?, plugs and wire, cap and rotor, alt, radiator seal, etc)
Replacement fluids?
Tire patching kit and compressor?
Solar panel to charge the battery if you have issues?

Some kind of communication that works, if you get stuck someplace weird?

Sounds like a blast!

Me being a paranoid type i have to ask?

What are you taking as spares? (hoses, belts, clamps, RTB gasket stuff?, plugs and wire, cap and rotor, alt, radiator seal, etc)
Replacement fluids?
Tire patching kit and compressor?
Solar panel to charge the battery if you have issues?

Some kind of communication that works, if you get stuck someplace weird?
I have a lot of the spares mentioned above..
Spare belts are under the carpeted section on the tailgate (just need to unscrew the carpeted timber to access)
A twin compressor is permanently mounted under the car, I have a plug kit with heaps of plugs, and a TPMS on the dash to hopefully alter me of issues early
I have a 200W solar blanket, and an ARB jump-starter
Most hoses are new, and I do have some spares (but not all…)
I will have water and oil on board, as well as spare filters
The 2 x carpeted boxed either side in the back have a range of Makita battery tools, spares, (wheel bearings / studs / hub socket / sockets and spanners / spare electrical components / odd bolts / cable ties etc
I don’t have a sat phone, but have the EPIRB from my boat, mobile phone and UHF.

will do an oil change this weekend, and am thinking of moving the number plate so I can add my rear-wheel bin bag to the spare… will see how I go for time!

also have to put a couple more tek screws into the front number plate so it doesn’t get ripped off during water crossings…

Well, I am in the road!!
I left home 4pm Friday and now (5:30pm Sunday) have driven about 2400km and am staying the night in Broome!
The 60 is running great - cruise control set to 102km/hr. The last 600km I got 9.4L/100!
Just over 1000km to do tomorrow, so it is going to be a long one!
Here are a few pics…

DFD68A1D-5EB4-4BCB-9A8A-3AAEE93B038D.jpeg

008A2812-5B27-4F4D-A8B3-0B1C8D929D6B.jpeg

9E575FFA-DBF7-43C3-B5BF-CFC82CA546F0.jpeg

FF70FAA9-79C1-49F1-80C7-94F977C8DA58.jpeg

F8455AF7-0182-4B1A-BE03-0CC2B99CFF47.jpeg

so your transitioning into spring time, hows the temperature down under?

so your transitioning into spring time, hows the temperature down under?
It depends where! When I left home on Friday in the South west of WA it was about 15 max. Today in the North East of WA it was about 38…. Very different!! The car temps certainly feel it - and there are a lot of cars (mainly newish dual cabs towing caravans) in parking bays with bonnets up…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom