1960 fj25L hardtop. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really that rare? I got a 2nd sd40 with the gray face.
Rare enough to research what not to do with them. Good luck.

Looks like I'm missing a boot on the thingy that does the stuff.
If dirty gets in there how bad can the damage got. Already working on getting a camera and vacuum inside of it

20210828_101817.jpg

20210828_115821.jpg

Looks like I'm missing a boot on the thingy that does the stuff.
If dirty gets in there how bad can the damage got. Already working on getting a camera and vacuum inside of it

View attachment 2778726

View attachment 2778727
Your officially missing the clutch fork boot. Not a big deal to be missing it, most old Cruisers are missing those. I think the FJ25 boots were made of leather. I haven't tried to fix the one on my FJ25 yet, maybe someone here has and can inform on a replacement.

Your officially missing the clutch fork boot. Not a big deal to be missing it, most old Cruisers are missing those. I think the FJ25 boots were made of leather. I haven't tried to fix the one on my FJ25 yet, maybe someone here has and can inform on a replacement.
If dirt gets inside can that be a problem?

Because of its location, its hard for dirt to easily get in there, mostly dust will get in there if anything.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you were wheeling through deep mud, really dusty roads, or really dirty rivers. You can pull the bell housing dust cover off to have a look in at the clutch to see what is going on.
You can fix it if you ever take the transmission off to service clutch or transmission. Im driving my FJ25 right now without the boot.

Last edited:
Because of its location, its hard for dirt to easily get in there, mostly dust will get in there if anything.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you were wheeling through deep mud or really dirty rivers. You can pull the bell housing dust cover off to have a look in at the clutch to see what is going on.
You can fix it if you ever take the transmission off to service clutch or transmission. Im driving my FJ25 right now without the boot.
Thank you!

If what break master cylinder and clutch master cylinder are you guys using? I'm looking for newer parts I can buy. I need to replace both

You Awesome thank you
I have the same windows on my 40. I couldn’t find any diagrams either but finally got them working. I went to a local window shop and got their setting tape to install the window into the channel. Looks like you have all the parts though.

If what break master cylinder and clutch master cylinder are you guys using? I'm looking for newer parts I can buy. I need to replace both
You can rebuild both of those masters. Your brake master is the stock one, your clutch master is a later version.

Ok I need your brains again. The full brake system on my fj is not holding pressure.
I have had lots of people tell to replace it all with new everything.

I'm looking at sor.com and I'm not seeing a lot for new parts. My question is the fj40 brake systems the same? Drums, lines?
And if so can you guys send me some links to the parts you use or something.

I need this brake job done before winter gets here. I'm really out of time. In my head the fj is made out of sugar, and seagulls be hungry

Ok I need your brains again. The full brake system on my fj is not holding pressure.
I have had lots of people tell to replace it all with new everything.

I'm looking at sor.com and I'm not seeing a lot for new parts. My question is the fj40 brake systems the same? Drums, lines?
And if so can you guys send me some links to the parts you use or something.

I need this brake job done before winter gets here. I'm really out of time. In my head the fj is made out of sugar, and seagulls be hungry
The FJ25 brake system is unique to the 20 series Cruisers. Master cylinder, drums, brake lines, and wheel cylinders are all specific to the FJ25.
I have seen newer master cylinders plumbed into the system, but have never personally used it. ( I think this requires firewall modification because FJ20 masters bolt patters is bigger than FJ40s)

You could probably convert to a full FJ40 system, but that would mean, single circuit master or double circuit master, all new brake lines, hard and soft, brake line junctions. FJ40 axel backing plates with FJ40 wheel cylinders and junctions, FJ40 brake shoes and drums. Some slight modifications would go along with this conversion.

Other option is to rebuild what you have (master cylinder and wheel cylinders, replace soft brake hose, and addressing any hard line issues) or have masters and wheel cylinders rebuilt and shoes relined professionally . Here is some info on rebuilding yourself. 25 Master Cylinders - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/25-master-cylinders.44958/page-11
You can get soft brake lines here. Brake Hose for Land Cruiser FJ25 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/brake-hose-for-land-cruiser-fj25 , this brake hose also works for the soft clutch slave hose.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I'm running out of time.
Rebuild brakes. What kitsch and where can I buy them. Any and all needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom