Rear 12v Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I vaguely remember reading or watching a video that mentioned a hidden, unused 12v power source in the rear of the vehicle that could be taken advantage of. I think it was up near the roof? I've tried searching but can't find anything or figure out where I saw that. Maybe I was dreaming?

Are you talking about a constant 12v source, even with the keys out of the ignition? What are you planning to use it for? For long runs like that at 12v, it's important to look at the current draw vs the gauge of the wire, to make sure you're not overloading it.

Are you talking about a constant 12v source, even with the keys out of the ignition? What are you planning to use it for? For long runs like that at 12v, it's important to look at the current draw vs the gauge of the wire, to make sure you're not overloading it.
Yes constant source. Would be ran to a RTT for a heating blanket.

Have plans to run a heavier gauge wire to the rear with a positive bus to run things off of but am waiting on the Wits End QPM to start the project. In the meantime I thought I might utilize what is already there. I vaguely remember someone talking about lowering the rear driver side head liner and an unused power source being up there.

I doubt anything existing is something you want to use for any form of heated item ( lots of draw ).

I doubt anything existing is something you want to use for any form of heated item ( lots of draw ).
Agree completely. Most of the wiring back there is very thin, 18 gauge tops.
Look at the wattage of the blanket, then divide that by 12 and it will give you the amps.
Now look at a wiring gauge estimator and find the length of run over the amps pulled and that will give you the min wire size.
Lets make the math easy:
120W/12v=10amps
10 amps pulled over 20ft = 10guage wire
1630897405480.png

20 ft = round trip circuit, 10ft out and 10ft back to the battery.

Agree completely. Most of the wiring back there is very thin, 18 gauge tops.
Look at the wattage of the blanket, then divide that by 12 and it will give you the amps.
Now look at a wiring gauge estimator and find the length of run over the amps pulled and that will give you the min wire size.
Lets make the math easy:
120W/12v=10amps
10 amps pulled over 20ft = 10guage wire
View attachment 2779591
20 ft = round trip circuit, 10ft out and 10ft back to the battery.
Good information! Thanks!

Couple things to consider...you will need to use a low voltage cutoff as it will drain things fast and you will be praying you get enough sun for solar power to bring you back to starting capacity...if you have solar.

The blanket should be installed under you not over you to be most affective for the power used.

Consider adding a second battery And a charge controller / low voltage cutoff switch that you can dedicate to the RTT power.

Ultimately look to see if there are good insulation options for your RTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom