Help with Installing Windshield 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am a new member. I have a 1976 FJ40 and am restoring it. I cannot get windshield installed. I have used the rope trick along with soapy water lubricant. I get the bottom and sides done but when I get to top of windshield, it seems as though the windshield is up too high and out away from frame too far. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Do you have the seal on the glass or seal on the frame? I had better luck with seal on glass and started in 1 corner and could push the glass toward that corner while I pulled the rope. My rope was like 1/8” or less surveyors string. I used lots of winded as a lube. Also, I had the glass going in from the top (windshield frame was on a body sawhorse laying flat) and pulled the string out the bottom.

Is the gasket the old one? Perhaps an aftermarket replacement? Where did the glass come from? I will come out and say OEM all the way. If you spend more than 15 minutes there is something wrong and it is probably the gasket. I recently sold my glass shop only about 40 years experience. If you need a perfect windshield pattern let me know. Welcome too

Thanks for the responses. I have OEM gasket and it is the original glass and frame. I will try starting at corner and use more Windex. I am so close to finishing this restore and cannot wait to drive it.

Silicone spray, a friend, and some paracord works very well. A thin plastic prybar will also be very useful. It's even easier if you pop the windshield frame off and use gravity to help hold the glass in place. Just don't side load the glass at all. It should be a very easy install.

Success. Starting in corner and extra Windex worked. Do I tap around the gasket from the outside to better seat the gasket?

Success. Starting in corner and extra Windex worked. Do I tap around the gasket from the outside to better seat the gasket?

I have always pushed on the inner seal to work it into the frame a little bit. I've never really seen the outside move, but the inner seal usually moves.

And the saga of the windshield continues. I was tapping the rubber weather strip to seat the windshield on one side where it seemed not to be fully seated. And...you already know... I broke it. Very sad and annoyed at myself. Now to replace it. So best is to try local shops to see if I can find one to cut a new one?

And the saga of the windshield continues. I was tapping the rubber weather strip to seat the windshield on one side where it seemed not to be fully seated. And...you already know... I broke it. Very sad and annoyed at myself. Now to replace it. So best is to try local shops to see if I can find one to cut a new one?

Dang, sorry to hear that. Most shops can cut you a new one, but make sure it is the right size. Can you salvage to old one to use as a template?

Ah shoot! That used to happen in my shop more often than I care to admit. OEM gasket and steel are good. The flat windshields that are cut over the years can get a little sloppy. I have a perfect template drawn on paper for you. I made a few extras last spring when I did mine. Pm your address to me and I will mail it tomorrow. You should see it by the end of the week. Compare the two and see. Find a local owned glass shop and try again. I thought you had it whipped

Ah shoot! That used to happen in my shop more often than I care to admit. OEM gasket and steel are good. The flat windshields that are cut over the years can get a little sloppy. I have a perfect template drawn on paper for you. I made a few extras last spring when I did mine. Pm your address to me and I will mail it tomorrow. You should see it by the end of the week. Compare the two and see. Find a local owned glass shop and try again. I thought you had it whipped
Sorry to hear of the incident with your glass. Don't beat yourself up. These things happen to all of us. Sometimes, it seems that these old 40's have a way of fighting us every step of the way.

I did the same thing installing a windshield on a Volkswagen Beetle. Too much force ruins everything. Sucks learning the hard way. Good luck finding a replacement for your 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom