help - loud fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just a WAG, but I think your fan is too far inside the shroud, the fan should be partially exposed on the engine side

I WAG AGREE TOO ............. 2ND @3_puppies MY JIS Oracle ........ :smokin:

Okay. I'll try and move the radiator forward. Thanks guys.

your doing a good job ! :)

try to locate a FJ40 Fan Shroud or LOOSE the FJ60 one all together , you WILL NOT Over Heat on a simple short Road Test to Verify and Diagnose .............

I ended up going with an FJ60 shroud because I couldn't find a late model 40 shroud. I'd like to keep the shroud, so I'll try and move it forward a bit. If I can't move it, then maybe I'll start over.

OE 40 shrouds are not that wide, they are quite slim
the 60 shroud is much wider than a 40 shroud

pics or measurements tomorrow, if I remember

I thought they were all loud

I agree with a bunch of what’s said with clarifying one point: I think at 60 mph (or well below) your clutch fan should disengage, not engage, as there is enough airflow from driving to cool the engine (and the thermal clutch fan) so the fan should free spin at those speeds. With this train of thought, it would lead me to look for places all that extra air pressure is getting through and causing noise as opposed to fan noise (which I think is what you’re finding).
The clutch should be stiff(ish) when room temp and free spin when warm, you can test this before running it and even with a heat gun. If it free spins at ambient temps, it likely needs replaced. Caveat: unless Toyota fans are different than most-all others.

I ended up going with an FJ60 shroud because I couldn't find a late model 40 shroud. I'd like to keep the shroud, so I'll try and move it forward a bit. If I can't move it, then maybe I'll start over.

i bet @kevos37 / Kevin IS a MUD SUPPORTING VENDOR TOO , and he might just have a FJ40 one for you ?

lets see if im right on ?

i bet @kevos37 / Kevin IS a MUD SUPPORTING VENDOR TOO , and he might just have a FJ40 one for you ?

lets see if im right on ?

there is this guy in Montana who has one, the question is if he wants to sell it.

there is this guy in Montana who has one, the question is if he wants to sell it.

i think that dude should , after all there rare and well ................... UNICORN PARTS TOO Now adays ......

i think that dude should , after all there rare and well ................... UNICORN PARTS TOO Now adays ......

that just makes them worth more

that just makes them worth more

i agree ,

with GAZOO's RACING Initial Announcement of NOT making any NEW Sheet metal in there opening Remarks ? for the 40 SERIES Heritage Program Reproduction line of parts

i would think a 40 SERIES Good Usable LOW RUST DRY Arid Climate Pre-owned and Climate Controlled Long Term Storage Fan Shroud would indeed have doubled in value

simply overnight after NO-NEW From GAZOO .............. 🤔

Nice work @DSRTRDR on your shroud. I took the 40 for a long ride today and here is what I've noticed:
it's still loud (quieter than it was, but still too loud) and it seems to take a noticeable amount of horsepower away when engaged at highway speeds. It could just be me being more conscious of a 2f at 3000 rpm when the fan clutch is engaged, but is seems to lose 3 mph or so when at 3000 rpms and around 60-65 mph.

So, I can try and move the radiator forward about 1/2" before it hits the grill by cutting studs at the bottom of the radiator frame and redrilling holes after moving everything. That 1/2" will put the back of the fan blade very close to the back of the shroud. Or, ditch the shroud all together, although I hate an unshrouded fan - too dangerous. Or, try and build a new shroud like @DSRTRDR . Or, run an electric fan.

I'm leaning toward an electric fan. I know it's not OEM, but that's not my game as you can tell by the Saginaw box from the pics. So, what do folks have against an electric fan that will turn on at a preset temp?

Thnx,
Mike

Normal fans use up a couple of hp , and it would take a really powerful electric fan to pull the same amount of air. 2 hp is about 1500 watts. I don't know if an electric would be good enough in really hot weather?

@Lifelong40Fan - Just an observation: If you have time, it might be a good idea to install a few of the 90540-10022 cushions on the radiator support rods to allow the radiator cradle to flex more with the frame. I went over board with mine, but I had to make some adjustments and cut more threads in the rods, but it is what it is.

1630880833285.png

Okay. I'll try and move the radiator forward. Thanks guys.
I’d put an OEM radiator and shroud on it. Toss all that stuff.

I have both here. I think the radiator has about 1200 miles on it.

Listen to what @wngrog is saying here ,

his parts are ALWAYS as stated and northing less ....

this is the unique opportunity to make your TURBINE FAN issue go away OEM Period Correct right once and for all and NEVER look back ,

KEEP IT ALL OEM And Keep It Real ........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom