Beat-Sonic Android Auto/Apple CarPlay Thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my search to make my daily-driver even more enjoyable to operate, I needed a better tech option. I have had AA/CP in a previous vehicle and loved the ease of use. I wanted the simplest solution and therefore didn't love the Grom VLine choice. Grom seems to have a few quirks/glitches in addition to it being a mini android OS device with more capability than I needed (ie, installing apps, playing games, etc).

Luckily, Beat-Sonic just released this option for 2014-2019 Lexus GX 460 and 2016-2019 Toyota LC. Both Grom and Beat-Sonic are similarly priced, but I was convinced by the demo/install video and my own personal history with their products working as claimed.

I have never done a project like this, but if you can do the MTS install I think you'll be ok. I do suggest taking a photo of how everything is connected behind the stereo before you unplug for reference later... I did install the noise-loop isolator, I did not wire a new USB port. Instead the usb female port comes up through driver side center cupholder after taking out a prong. I have zero issues in using it as long as I plug it into my phone after the Lexus splash screen on startup as mentioned in the video: no problems switching to reverse, has never frozen, the screen is centered - nothing is cut off, the steering wheel phone answer and phone hang-up buttons work, the steering wheel track up and track down buttons work, steering wheel volume works (no volume indicator visible on screen which is similar across aftermarket solutions).

After 6 weeks of daily use, I can say I am happy that I no longer use my phone mount. The only limitations come from our ancient touchscreen which limits responsiveness...but if you want that Tesla-style screen solution then good luck with that. I hope this is helpful for the mud GX460 community searching for a CarPlay/Android Auto solution

Install Video

Demo Video

Last edited:
I really wish this was available for 2010-2013. I'm regretting my GROM Vline purchase already just like I regret that android "tesla" screen in my 470.

Absolutely agree with you MrTogue! Missed it by 1 year...

Oh wow ... I basically just wrote the same post over on Club Lexus. I agree with everything you said although I have only had my Beat-Sonic installed for a couple of days so far. The only weakness in the system really is not with Beat-Sonic ... its with the crappy display. But it is adequate ... and simple. And yeah, if you did Crawl Control and MTS mods, then this one is not much more difficlt.

Here is my post on ClubLexus for anyone who wishes to read it: My Post on Club Lexus

And here is my Installation Wrte-up

Cheers!

TK8LM6

I am 99% satisfied with the LSAILT unit I added to mine. All I wanted was Apple CarPlay and that works just about perfectly.
Been meaning to ask you, does it work flawless wirelessly? I bet if I used the cable it'd work ok, I just don't want to have to. LOL Not that it matters, that unit won't work with 2010-2013's.

Oh wow ... I basically just wrote the same post over on Club Lexus. I agree with everything you said although I have only had my Beat-Sonic installed for a couple of days so far. The only weakness in the system really is not with Beat-Sonic ... its with the crappy display. But it is adequate ... and simple. And yeah, if you did Crawl Control and MTS mods, then this one is not much more difficlt.

Here is my post on ClubLexus for anyone who wishes to read it: My Post on Club Lexus

Cheers!
Sorry I check CL forums rarely compared to mud. Just read your write-up and agree as well. Good to hear that other people enjoy this product too!

I always use wireless, and it is about 99%. Now and then it doesn’t connect but rare.
Man I wish I could get that to work on my 2010. The GROM just doesn’t play nice.

Cheers!

TK8LM6
Great write up! Do your steering wheel controls still work, e.g. volume, phone, mode, etc.?

Great write up! Do your steering wheel controls still work, e.g. volume, phone, mode, etc.?
Yes, the steering wheel controls work ... volume up/down and the Left arrow and Right Arrow below the volume controls work also in that they will skip to the next "Track" or podcast or Pandora song, etc.

The little voice button on the right side of the steering wheel does not activate Siri or the Google Assistant ... that is apparently hardwired into the native Lexus System but there is a button on the Android Auto screen or the Apple CarPlay screen to activate those assistants. Beat-Sonic points that out in their demo video.

So far the only wierdness I have observed is the automatic switching of maps from day to night mode or vice versa in Android Auto ... It seems that whatever mode it starts in, it does not switch unless your unplug the device ... So for example I plugged my device in while under a canopy of trees on a long dark driveway, and the Waze map came up in night mode. When I moved into the sun, it stayed in night mode. I thought day and night mode for Waze were selected automatically based on sunrise and sunset times based on your location and then within that, the photosensor in the Lexus would adjust brightness. A minor annoyance. I will look into it more and maybe ask Beat-Sonic about it.

If I remember correctly isn't there a day/night mode/setting in the Lexus setup?

Last edited:
Yes, the steering wheel controls work ... volume up/down and the Left arrow and Right Arrow below the volume controls work also in that they will skip to the next "Track" or podcast or Pandora song, etc.

The little voice button on the right side of the steering wheel does not activate Siri or the Google Assistant ... that is apparently hardwired into the native Lexus System but there is a button on the Android Auto screen or the Apple CarPlay screen to activate those assistants. Beat-Sonic points that out in their demo video.

So far the only wierdness I have observed is the automatic switching of maps from day to night mode or vice versa in Android Auto ... It seems that whatever mode it starts in, it does not switch unless your unplug the device ... So for example I plugged my device in while under a canopy of trees on a long dark driveway, and the Waze map came up in night mode. When I moved into the sun, it stayed in night mode. I thought day and night mode for Waze were selected automatically based on sunrise and sunset times based on your location and then within that, the photosensor in the Lexus would adjust brightness. A minor annoyance. I will look into it more and maybe ask Beat-Sonic about it.
I just got my beat sonic installed in my LX and first time driving with it at night and my Google maps stuck in day mode. Had to go into AA settings and take it off automatic and forced dark mode. Argh. Any fixes for this? I'll email and ask Eric at Beatsonic as well when they are back from vacay. Thx

I just got my beat sonic installed in my LX and first time driving with it at night and my Google maps stuck in day mode. Had to go into AA settings and take it off automatic and forced dark mode. Argh. Any fixes for this? I'll email and ask Eric at Beatsonic as well when they are back from vacay. Thx

Easy solution. Mine does the same thing. Probably your headlights are in "auto" position. After your car is started and the Android Auto display is on in day mode when it should be in night mode, simply turn your headlights off then back on. This works for me.

Let me know if that solves the problem. Merry Christmas.

I have the Naviks DVD bypass currently and love it for long trips so I can watch movies while driving. I want my Android phone to work on my screen but I don't want to lose the DVD bypass function. Is it possible to have both? Has anyone done it before?

Easy solution. Mine does the same thing. Probably your headlights are in "auto" position. After your car is started and the Android Auto display is on in day mode when it should be in night mode, simply turn your headlights off then back on. This works for me.

Let me know if that solves the problem. Merry Christmas.
Worked like a charm! Thanks so much. Been trying to adjust the android auto volume, Spotify volume, and I just realized I can plug in a audio plug in the aux and they will both play! Trying to dial in the volume level from the aux audio cable to match the beatsonic levels. Not sure if any of that made sense. 😂

I have the Naviks DVD bypass currently and love it for long trips so I can watch movies while driving. I want my Android phone to work on my screen but I don't want to lose the DVD bypass function. Is it possible to have both? Has anyone done it before?
Don't know, but if you email Beat Sonic they were pretty responsive in answering my similar questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom