Tie rod end stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lyle Kilson

Go fast, don’t die.
Threads
Does anyone have a hack to unscrew a tie rod end? I’ve tried penetrating oil and a blow torch to heat it up. Neither methods worked. Maybe there is a tool someone’s used to get these suckers unscrewed? Any help would be great.

0A2A6E3E-E15C-488C-A4DD-4640DC715BE3.jpeg

On my first go with them, I fought for about an hour. A whole bunch of oil, some hammer taps, a big vise, and mine eventually let go. I agree with the above though, 2 pipe wrenches would have been the ticket had I had them around that night. One wrench inboard of the "cut," and the other on the smooth shank section of the rod end.

Thanks to all that replied. If I can’t get my current one off I have a parts truck that I can try and pry one off of. If all else fails I guess I can just buy a new tie rod. Looks like I’ll be buying some pipe wrenches today. You guys are what make this forum awesome.

Agree with above. Big ol' pipe wrench and a few choice words. Eat your Wheaties and apply anti-seize when you go to put them back on. If you coat the threads good you won't have this problem again.
I bought this rig in November of 2020 and the pervious owner neglected the crap out of everything. At this point I’ve rebuilt the entire front end. Anti-size is great advise to make things easier later. Wish homeboy (previous owner) would have have used it.

I tried for hours a few years ago to get my PS TRE to let go. I eventually just gave up and left it. It was a very frustrating experience. Maybe I'll try again soon, I'd like get a better alignment and replace the TREs.

I used a MAPP gas torch, (2) two pound hammers, two pipe wrenches, a 3 ft cheater pipe, 2 cans of PB Blaster, and a vise.

It took me about four hours of heating, beating, and twisting to get both ends out.

I would heat the collar as hot as I could get it with the MAPP torch, then use both hammers at the same time on opposite sides of the threaded tube to impact the tube and break it loose.
Then I would spray PB Blaster on it to cool it and to lubricate it. Then attempt to twist with two pipe wrenches and a 3 ft cheater pipe.

I've done a lot of tie rods in my time, and that one was probably the hardest.

Since then, I have well coated the threads in copper anti-seize and filled the slit gap with grease in order to keep water away from the threads. It moves easily now.

After doing this a few times and living/working on cruisers in salt prone Canada.. Air chisel is the best tool I found. I've done the above suggestions and just absolutely kill myself with heating with torches and using massive pipe wrenches.

Air chisel with a flat head/hammer bit. Quick work every time. Hammer along the rod where the thread of the tie rod would be inside, up and down all around. Breaks all the corrosion lose and then pop them into a vice and use a normal size pipe wrench and they generally dont put up any fight loosening off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom