Talk me out of a 4Runner TRD Pro (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not gonna lie, and I fully understand what relative junk a Jepp product is…..that 392 and exhaust note is sex.

Because V8……

Last edited:
Beautiful Jeep! The old school Unlimited Wrangler truly is a unicorn.
Thank you! Sold her and then put that money towards my 80, I do miss the Jeep sometimes, but I had enough of spending money to keep it on the road. Very simple vehicles the jeeps are, but they do break a lot. Went from an 06 to a 95.

Not gonna lie, and I fully understand what relative junk a Jepp product is…..that 392 and exhaust note is sex.

Because V8……
Except that the 392 gets 13 mpg and has a 21 gallon tank.

And we complain about our LC driving range!

Meh. I don’t. I dunno who can sit in a car for 500 miles and not tinkle
Well, at Big Bend Nat park, that driving range becomes a bit of “range anxiety” because gas station are very far in between. In LO range, the LC range drops like a boulder! The 392 will be even worst.

All this talk about Rubicons makes me miss my ol girl, 2006 Unlimited Rubicon, a unicorn in the jeep world. This was my toy before I switched to my 95 K294, yes my last two toys had factory lockers. That thing went anywhere I pointed it. Bought it with 21,300 miles in 2015, wheeled it stock for 2 years before I started modifying it. I stuck with mostly ARB gear when I could, I installed a 31 gallon fuel tank. Had tons of fun and I do miss it at times. The best Jeep platform to make a build with in my opinion.

View attachment 2751010

View attachment 2751011
My favorite Jeep! 06 TJ Rubi with just a mild lift and AEV wheels! The 4.0 is a very reliable engine too.

Getting a little off topic here with all this Jeep talk … LOL I have a 2021 JLU rubicon diesel only reason I really bought it a few days before the whole vehicle shortage , made 8k on a used trade I bought 2 weeks before , and got 10k off the new Jeep could not say no to that deal saved 18k … new Jeeps are way over priced Toy .
Got a 10/100k Mopar extended warranty dirt cheap , stock diesel sits 1.500 taller than stock , put a set of nitto ridge grapplers that were suppose to go on one of my 200’s but still waiting on parts for that build , the 35x12.5r17 fit right on with no lift , did Mopar Beadlocks and crazy thing you can buy TPMS and no need to Program like Toyota , Jeep learns and recognizes as long as its 413mhz is what signal … 35’s out of the box is awesome .
If your a college kit or in your 20’s there a perfect primary source of transportation , other wise I would not recommend a Jeep wrangler over a Toyota 4Runner or especially a 200 LC
I have 2 Land cruiser 200’s and have been in the market for a 4runner , its the worst time to buy any new or used , I‘m still looking for either a new loaded Venture or Trd Offroad premium , seems there is a shortage and just about every dealer is tacking on extra dough .
The worst was a dealer down in Virginia , Lustine Toyota sent me a email they have $1000 sanitizing fee and $4000 recording fee … Scumbag car dealer .
TRD Pro is overrated , get a loaded Venture or Offroad and put your own suspension if you need a lift .

Getting a little off topic here with all this Jeep talk … LOL I have a 2021 JLU rubicon diesel only reason I really bought it a few days before the whole vehicle shortage , made 8k on a used trade I bought 2 weeks before , and got 10k off the new Jeep could not say no to that deal saved 18k … new Jeeps are way over priced Toy .
Got a 10/100k Mopar extended warranty dirt cheap , stock diesel sits 1.500 taller than stock , put a set of nitto ridge grapplers that were suppose to go on one of my 200’s but still waiting on parts for that build , the 35x12.5r17 fit right on with no lift , did Mopar Beadlocks and crazy thing you can buy TPMS and no need to Program like Toyota , Jeep learns and recognizes as long as its 413mhz is what signal … 35’s out of the box is awesome .
If your a college kit or in your 20’s there a perfect primary source of transportation , other wise I would not recommend a Jeep wrangler over a Toyota 4Runner or especially a 200 LC
I have 2 Land cruiser 200’s and have been in the market for a 4runner , its the worst time to buy any new or used , I‘m still looking for either a new loaded Venture or Trd Offroad premium , seems there is a shortage and just about every dealer is tacking on extra dough .
The worst was a dealer down in Virginia , Lustine Toyota sent me a email they have $1000 sanitizing fee and $4000 recording fee … Scumbag car dealer .
TRD Pro is overrated , get a loaded Venture or Offroad and put your own suspension if you need a lift .
The Rubicon diesel is a cool rig! Sounds like you scored a great deal. Yeah, I like the fact you can slap 35’s on right out of the box. Can’t even put 33’s on the 4R without modifications.

Awesome that you have two LC200’s. What years are they, and are they set up any different? My dream would be to buy a second Land Cruiser and build it out.

Only the diesel JLU Rubicon has different fender flares and 1.25 extra lift over a gas wrangler and still plenty of clearance , with the warranty and all that just swap out the 35’s for the stock 33’s any time I take it for service .
Both 200’s are stock right now I have a gaint pile of parts , still waiting on a slee rear bumper for the 2019 but the 2018 was going to be the trade when I was buying the 2019 before the whole discontinue of the 200 , just could not make a deal I was happy with so the wife was driving that for now but she bitchs the LC passes everything but a gas station .
Crazy thing all the dealers are chasing me to sell the 2018 right now , I’m not motivated to move anything , we have been looking for a 4runner for the wife , she has a Subaru forester and has the WRX motor with 15 less hp , not sure if she will be happy with a 4runner … Thats my world right now … LOL

At least a few times a year I'll persuade myself that I should get a new 4Runner as it's the Land Cruiser Prado underneath. I realize that all I'd really want is the SR5 base trim, Sand Beige Clothe interior, with the sliding rear tray, OEM Steel Rock Sliders, and the TRD Pro roof rack that can be optioned with an SR5. I'd get the premium audio and that's about all I need. Now Red or White is a big debate. Red exterior with the tan interior gives me 90s vibes. White with tan interior is very utilitarian IMO.

At least a few times a year I'll persuade myself that I should get a new 4Runner as it's the Land Cruiser Prado underneath. I realize that all I'd really want is the SR5 base trim, Sand Beige Clothe interior, with the sliding rear tray, OEM Steel Rock Sliders, and the TRD Pro roof rack that can be optioned with an SR5. I'd get the premium audio and that's about all I need. Now Red or White is a big debate. Red exterior with the tan interior gives me 90s vibes. White with tan interior is very utilitarian IMO.
I like the utilitarian feel of the 4R. The LC is better built for sure, but the 4R feels more raw. Maybe that can be interpreted to mean cheap or cost cutting, but it does serve a purpose.

I like the utilitarian feel of the 4R. The LC is better built for sure, but the 4R feels more raw. Maybe that can be interpreted to mean cheap or cost cutting, but it does serve a purpose.
I have an 80 series, with restored leather interior and I'd feel bad getting it dirty, but with the blend of clothe that Toyota uses for those seats is really durable and I wouldn't mind getting in after a sweaty hike or swim or anything like that. It's cheaper but for utilitarian uses its better than leather. The SR5 trim is what the 80 series Poverty Pack was in the very early 90s. In Illinois I can't get the Sunroof, which isn't a terrible thing. Believe me it's very tempting to go to my dealer and order a brand new bare bones 4Runner. I'd have to sell the 80 though.

I have an 80 series, with restored leather interior and I'd feel bad getting it dirty, but with the blend of clothe that Toyota uses for those seats is really durable and I wouldn't mind getting in after a sweaty hike or swim or anything like that. It's cheaper but for utilitarian uses its better than leather. The SR5 trim is what the 80 series Poverty Pack was in the very early 90s. In Illinois I can't get the Sunroof, which isn't a terrible thing. Believe me it's very tempting to go to my dealer and order a brand new bare bones 4Runner. I'd have to sell the 80 though.
That 80 series sounds nice. I probably wouldn’t trade that for a 4R if I were in your shoes.

That 80 series sounds nice. I probably wouldn’t trade that for a 4R if I were in your shoes.
Yeah I think no matter what, the 80 will stay, I drive two vehicles right now. The 80 and a 2001 Rav4 5 Speed with 140,000 miles. I'd sell the Rav4, drive the 80 in the winter, and preserve the rust free bare bones simple 4Runner for the weekends and summer. Right now the 80 doesn't see winter.

20210705_162653.jpg

20210622_200032.jpg

20210622_200021.jpg

20201213_112644.jpg

Only thing I did not like about 80's and LX450 I had was the power windows sucked , they were slow as s*** ... I did a cummins 4bt in one of my 80's was a great rig years ago .

Only thing I did not like about 80's and LX450 I had was the power windows sucked , they were slow as s*** ... I did a cummins 4bt in one of my 80's was a great rig years ago .
I only read pages 1 and 10, but didn’t see anyone mention the size of the 4R, which is too small IMO.
Coming out of a Taco into a LC, I reallly appreciate the shoulder room between my wife and I sitting up front. We were too close in the Taco, amd would be in the 4R too.

All that TRD Pro sh*t is sexy af though. I get the attraction for sure.

Only thing I did not like about 80's and LX450 I had was the power windows sucked , they were slow as s*** ....
I opened the window regulator motors on mine and the brushes and armatures were glazed. Sanded those lightly and the windows were off to the races. Long term plan was to find replacement brushes but I never got around to it before the swap then selling it.

Can’t remember whether I ever posted about this in the 80-series section.

Reactions: jhg
I've had a Toyota Celica, Supra, SR5 truck, Corolla, 4Runner, and a Camry (Lexus ES 200). Now we have a Land Cruiser. It's perfect for a family like ours that does a lot of highway trips, weekend get-a-ways, Colorado 4x4 roads, and day trips to the park. I won't go back to a 4Runner.

Prior to buying our LC200, we considered a 5th gen 4Runner, TRD Pro in AG color specifically. Lucky for me, I have been in the Toyota dealer community for 20+ years and was able to test drive 3 in advance. Reason being is every one of them felt like it couldn't get out of its own way. Getting on the TX freeways was laughably slow. The shoulder room was somewhat minimal. The plus with the 4R TRD is of course the rear locker, but that can easily be added to the 200 (if needs arise).

Took the bride out to look at a 4runner , TRD Offroad over in NJ , its like there is blood in the water feeding frenzy , I don’t have new car fever , can allways find another . Crazy
Car dealer was more interested in if I would sell my black 2018 LC …LOL
4runner sold right after I turned it down , the people had no clue on what options it had , just had to have it .
Might just hold out and order a white pro and get what we want .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom