What winch rope are you guys liking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's all the same, save for quality of splices, shipping time, color, fairy dust, etc.

This stuff has far more customers in the maritime world and there's a tiny number of manufacturers of the raw material. All these vendors are just buying giant spools and selling chunks. Up to you if you care about the value add, but it's all essentially the same.

Dyneema is so amazing IMO that it's just one of those things that should entirely take over the winch line market. The end
Agreed. My worry isn't whether dyneema is dyneema but rather is the "dyneema" I'm being sold from a real dyneema manufacturer. If it is, great. End of story. If it's not, I don't want some cheapo polypropylene rope rated for 300lbs going on my winch drum and me not finding out until I'm stuck in a mud hole 15 miles from uncle Joe's cabin....

Good reading. My winch came with 5/16" steel line and I've been curious about what synthetic to switch over to. Not that I winch much at all but the idea of slightly less weight and not worrying about it kinking or taking off a leg is appealing.

My 80 *IS* a really important charity focused on children. I have a son that loves the "beep-beep" as he calls it. :flipoff2:
All I'm saying it's a good company to buy from. They have a priority on good quality recovery ropes.

Agreed. My worry isn't whether dyneema is dyneema but rather is the "dyneema" I'm being sold from a real dyneema manufacturer. If it is, great. End of story. If it's not, I don't want some cheapo polypropylene rope rated for 300lbs going on my winch drum and me not finding out until I'm stuck in a mud hole 15 miles from uncle Joe's cabin....
Unless you're blind, it'll be obvious

Unless you're blind, it'll be obvious
Last time I checked, material strength isn't detectable by direct line of sight. You ever used a rubber band that was cheap and it snapped? Looked like every other rubber band except it wasn't.

But I guess I could always ship it to you for an "inspection".

"Nukegoat says it's rated for 20,000lbs"

"How did he know?"

"He says you can tell it is by the way it is."

"Seems legit"

Last time I checked, material strength isn't detectable by direct line of sight. You ever used a rubber band that was cheap and it snapped? Looked like every other rubber band except it wasn't.
Don't conflate epistemology and marketing

Don't conflate epistemology and marketing
I'm not. The trust isn't in the marketing, it's in blatantly stated material specs. I don't trust bogus marketing any more than anyone here. But I'm inclined to trust known reliable sources. If you consider yourself to be one, good for you. You may reference your own knowledge and experience as much as you like. Most of us here do the same. But that doesn't mean looking at something visually, as a stand-alone test, guarantees it's performance - which was the point.

Anybody use or handle a maxtrax winch rope? They came out with a recovery system that includes a static winch line. Price looks reasonable for a line that has a jacket on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom