What winch rope are you guys liking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there's a recovery gear forum. Already posted there. But seeing as how recovery equipment is related to vehicle weight, this seemed appropriate for a tech thread as well.

What synthetic winch rope brands are you guys using and why? I know a lot of dyneema rope is the same, regardless of who puts the thimble on it. So I guess what I'm looking for is the names of good quality suppliers that use real dyneema and don't have sketchy winch ropes. I'm considering a rope from Custom Splice but I'm curious about the experiences of other forum members. Any input is appreciated.

I had MasterPull on my Warn 9K...... other than doing it's job and winning it in a raffle can't say much more.
(7/16)
Which type of MasterPull line did you have? The normal 12 strand or the XD with the abrasion jacket? I ask because I'm tempted to buy a jacketed winch line but they're spendy and splicing may be an issue if you ever broke one.

Which type of MasterPull line did you have? The normal 12 strand or the XD with the abrasion jacket? I ask because I'm tempted to buy a jacketed winch line but they're spendy and splicing may be an issue if you ever broke one.
The AmSteel blue. And to be honest, never used the winch in the rocks and whatnot, mostly just in the snow. But line did it job just fine.

I'm just trying to decide what kind of set up I want. My winch rope has seen better days and I'm a little worried that if I got in a jam it might fail. I've used it before with no issue but everything has a service life....

I’m only using Yankum Ropes. I prefer made in USA

7F2AE934-0CA9-429B-9685-3C78F25532FA.jpeg

14E49231-75B9-4629-AA76-DD3CDE542E29.jpeg

E668A220-C983-4A93-965C-7C8166CA2C51.jpeg

5F4606AA-2290-4366-8F1C-6248364A368F.jpeg

Those look excellent. Expensive, but excellent. I have a hard time paying double the price when the base material is exactly the same though. Workmanship: seems great. Chafe coating vs metal thimble: great idea. Rope material....oh, look, dyneema. Idk it just rubs me the wrong way. Not saying I wouldn't buy one but it sure makes you think twice when you could get a rope for half of that and use the extra cash for a winchline extension.

x3 Master pull on a 9.5 XP. I have had the Superline for about 6 years, but will upgrade to the XD eventually.

@Kyle Fogle with Treaty Oak Offroad can get you set up with Made in the USA winch lines and other recovery equipment.

Those look excellent. Expensive, but excellent. I have a hard time paying double the price when the base material is exactly the same though. Workmanship: seems great. Chafe coating vs metal thimble: great idea. Rope material....oh, look, dyneema. Idk it just rubs me the wrong way. Not saying I wouldn't buy one but it sure makes you think twice when you could get a rope for half of that and use the extra cash for a winchline extension.
OK so call me weird but this has been bothering me. Not the product @NLXTACY shared, but what I said about it. I asked for input. That's what was given to me. Then I complained about it. I apologize for my poor form.

OK so call me weird but this has been bothering me. Not the product @NLXTACY shared, but what I said about it. I asked for input. That's what was given to me. Then I complained about it. I apologize for my poor form.
Oh it doesn’t bother me. It’s not my product.

I chose Yankum because it’s a very small outfit and he contacted me to help by using his product. I’ll never be contacted by anyone at MasterPull and especially not by anyone at Warn. That means something to me. I’ll always help the small guy. I’m the small guy and my customers are always helping me. If I’m going to pay extra, or even double, instead of from the big name brands so be it. We need more small business not more big business.

Last edited:
@NLXTACY I didn't think your skin was that thin. I was more bothered by my own behavior. I hate it when someone asks for something and then whines when they are given what they ask for. But that's essentially what I did, so I wanted to apologize to everyone reading this thread.

Tad off topic, but did Southeast Overland? go out of biz? Seems I have bought some recovery traps and whatnot from them in the past.

Tad off topic, but did Southeast Overland? go out of biz? Seems I have bought some recovery traps and whatnot from them in the past.
The owner sold the business. I think they're done.

Back to thread topic, what diameter rope seems sufficient for a heavy 80? I'm pretty sure I have 3/8 winchline now, and it works, but looking at WLL for 3/8 rope it's only around 4k lbs. I'm pretty sure my truck weighs north of 6k...

I know you won't have full vehicle weight in terms of load on every pull, but more often than not we're pulling the truck "up" out of something. A hole. Snow. Mud. Whatever...so even though it's not seeing 100% of the vehicle weight it is seeing increased resistance from other factors. Just curious as to yall's thoughts.

Back to thread topic, what diameter rope seems sufficient for a heavy 80? I'm pretty sure I have 3/8 winchline now, and it works, but looking at WLL for 3/8 rope it's only around 4k lbs. I'm pretty sure my truck weighs north of 6k...

I know you won't have full vehicle weight in terms of load on every pull, but more often than not we're pulling the truck "up" out of something. A hole. Snow. Mud. Whatever...so even though it's not seeing 100% of the vehicle weight it is seeing increased resistance from other factors. Just curious as to yall's thoughts.
Dyneema 3/8 SK75 is rated for a 12K winch and has a breaking strength of over 17K (Amsteel Blue)
Dyneema 3/8 SK78 is rated for a 12K winch and has a breaking strength of over 19K.
Your standard 3/8 wire rope that came on your Warn M12K is rated lower than those.

FWIW, I am now on my 3rd synthetic line on my M12K. I have previously only used Amsteel, but I went with the SK78 last time around. I stopped using steel cable many years ago.

3/8" from Southeast Overland (from back in the day) on the relatively light-weight '93 (just front bumper, HF 12k winch, sliders, 315s). 3/8" Amazon-sourced line as extension, held up just fine when we pulled a F150 out of the drink, pulling from the bottom layer of the winch. The 9.5k winch on my K5 recently went from a frayed-from-use Southeast Overland-sourced 5/16" line to Amazon-sourced 3/8".

Wheeling in AZ, most of my pulls are very short, and for what it's worth, the Amazon-sourced 3/8" stuff has worked for my use. But I don't winch a lot, I'm not overlanding with 300-foot river crossings or the like , and I really truly hate mud (or water...), so I rather turn around.... Mostly winching up a ledge, or getting free of a high-center.

On those Amazon-sourced lines, I've noticed that - miraculously! - the advertised strength for a 3/8" line seems to creep upwards over the last few years, for the same product... @jonheld , 19k breaking strength for a 3/8" won't cut it on Amazon any longer LOL.Those Chinese manufacturer(s? - I bet it's all the same outfit) must have found magical new ways to improve their Dyneema products !?!

General BS aside, the splices for the end loops are generally garbage, though - they barely bury 2 inches of the full diameter line before a very steep 6" taper starts. I've reworked those, trying to mimic what I've seen on Southeast Overland lines, to bury 2 feet of the full diameter line before it goes to a 1-foot long taper, and that has held up for what I do.

[rant] And for what it's worth, I've looked into the "Spider-Silk" lines, since they've been sporting very impressive numbers. After inquiring directly with the company, I was left with a few arrogant e-mail responses, telling me they're working actively with Ramsey, and I ought to load 100' of their 7/16" line onto my 9.5K winch. What a nice try for an upsell, 90' of 3/8" doesn't fit on that winch, let alone 100' of 7/16". But they outfit KOH racers, so there... [/rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom