Show us your solar panel install on your 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gotta be tough driving like that.....

:rimshot:

5eca7dcac359ef001ca98dee.jpeg

How are people running wires into your cabins? Is there a way to do it without drilling through the body?

In Australia most people are running wires down the inside of the snorkel, then exit into the engine bay.

But I guess if you don't have a snorkel yet you are still drilling holes though the body :)

How are people running wires into your cabins? Is there a way to do it without drilling through the body?
Slider window in the back. Since I don’t have a permanent mounting Ii added extra gasket to the window with a gap for the cable. Then a small 1/2“ wood dowel (scrap material I had) in the interior pushing between the frame and window can keep the sliding window closed. No water seems to come in either after a couple years of use like that.

Slider window in the back. Since I don’t have a permanent mounting Ii added extra gasket to the window with a gap for the cable. Then a small 1/2“ wood dowel (scrap material I had) in the interior pushing between the frame and window can keep the sliding window closed. No water seems to come in either after a couple years of use like that.
Can you post a photo of this?

Thanks, wasn't sure how the added gasket would work, but makes sense now with the photo. Thanks for posting that .

They are not giving those babies away. But looks super clean. Site says 80W. Have you tested it?
Haha...so they didn't have the 80 series model in stock and instead sent me the 90w for the tundra, dimensions fit just fine. I had been looking at the cascadia4x4 and looked about the same for a lower price.

Its hooked up to my single starter battery, dont have a sophisticated 12v setup yet, so kinda using it as a trickle charger for now. Need to do some tests to run my small fridge and see how it holds up.

I’ve monitored temps for a few weeks. With just my panel in and nothing else I never got over 89 degrees. Not bad. Desert dune keeps the quarter panel cooler.

A few mock-ups complete and I’m ready. Maybe.

Today is my day so I mounted up things. It’s charging great and I have room to grow. I’m still figuring out better cooling. I’ve got a few weeks until it’s hot again.

Don’t judge.
6D227295-2403-4991-ADF1-B314BA3CFC4E.jpeg

29F010C2-D924-4184-86B8-00C609D6ADA6.jpeg

I am using the Jackery500 and two 100W panels (one rigid, one flex). The rigid panel is mounted on the front end of the long Bajarack (and stays there year round), the flex I use for the campsite. What I like about the Jackery is the ease of plug and play and having more than one vehicle, portability. The Jackery plugs directly into the solar panel and the 100W has plenty of power to send the max the Jackery can take and recharge. So understanding my needs may be different, here is how I use it.

When driving:
  • Second row seats removed, built a small plywood platform for refrigerator so that Jackery slides right behind seat, and fridge gets power directly from Jackery
  • Cables from roof rack rigid panel through sliding window and connect to Jackery to keep it charged
  • Jackery also powers a front 12V strip I have under the radio that typically charges phone and navigation (iPad). This strip has a switch so I can power it from starting battery (when ON), or Jackery (when OFF)
At campsite:
  • At campsites, I can remove the fridge and Jackery and setup my kitchen (10x10 pop up with attachable sides). The flex panel I can then place to catch the most sun and keep Jackery full (I don't move the site for 10 days)
  • With Jackery outside my tent, I can power laptop and other devices I need at night to do any work, etc.
  • In the morning I can recharge all flashlights with Jackery at the same time it is also being recharged by the panel
  • Jackery would go down about 65% full overnight, and back to 100% by 10 am (New Mexico late October sun)
I'm also using the Jackery + solar suitcase. I like this setup very much for many reasons. I was using it similar to you.
However, one big issue that has me rethinking it is that Jackery does not recommend using the power and charging at the same time. It shortens the life of the battery on what is already a fairly short lifespan. As mine looses capacity, I plan on getting a LiFePo portable power pack.

@yotarunner do you have details or added photos how it's connected to your battery? Solar->charge controller->battery terminals
Can you give me the name of the controller? I'm new to this but I like how simple your solution is.

@musthave great thread, really inspiring ideas here!
I added a simple 100w panel with a controller to my main battery. It works really well so I can run my fridge while on camping trips, but I may end up doing a dual batt setup as well. I ran a large 4 wire cable up my snorkel to have wiring for my roof lights also.

How had ot been? I'm looking at getting the one for my 100.
For now it’s just keeping my starter battery topped up. Cruiser has been sitting more than I like during the winter but will keep trying new things as time goes on. Was there something specific you’re curious about?

For now it’s just keeping my starter battery topped up. Cruiser has been sitting more than I like during the winter but will keep trying new things as time goes on. Was there something specific you’re curious about?
Just how its holding up to to being on the hood. With the heat, sun, and snow. As well as is it hitting the efficiency.

Just how its holding up to to being on the hood. With the heat, sun, and snow. As well as is it hitting the efficiency.
The panel is definitely solid on the hood with the 3m vhb, I dont think its going anywhere and I think the vinyl I put down before helps with adhesion. I'm in the Bay Area so not super hot lately and no snow lol. We had a ton of rain in December and early January and panel looks good to me. I haven't been watching the efficiency honestly, I ended up mounting the MPPT controller on top of the cruise control module so I can peak at it, but I need to get out and get some direct sun on the panel. More to come as I get out there and use it. Hope that helps! Sorry I don't have more info.

Just added a slide out panel to my setup and upgraded / relocated my charge controller (Renogy 30A Wanderer).
I plan to do a similar install on my skoolie (last picture). Currently have 500W on the roof and would like to double that by adding sliding panels.

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_0409.jpeg

Mounted my 100w mono panel on roof via a set of front runner load bars and into the back via a Scanstrut entry mount as suggested on another thread. Tight as a drum and clean as a whistle. Easily keeps my fridge and accessories cranking via a 40ah LiFePo4 battery in the back.

20220814_175912.jpg

Lots of good info here. I went with a Redarc to charge the Auxiliary battery while driving and portable 100w Renogy panels while stationary. Wires into an Anderson terminal that sticks through the grill with a weather boot. Pretty slick if I do say so myself. I’ll post pics of it tomorrow. Just got it all buttoned up and failed to take any pics.

I recently saw an 80 here with a solar panel mounted above the front windscreen sitting at about a 30 deg angle which allows the rack on the roof to still be used for 'stuff'. There are some good Aussie-made Redarc battery controllers that can be used with solar panels to charge the batteries. Don't have solar on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom