BJ74 Poptop, modular top camper or something (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who is really in overlanding, will sell their mid wheel base , and buy a 78 .
More space , more body length, all steel , and far less hassle.
KISS , keep it simple and stupid .

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/travel_beasts You can push the 73 platform pretty far xD

A 78 is particularly useful/simple if you want to sleep in your car but if you remove this need and accept to live outside for the time of your trip, there is enough space in a SWB or MWB for 2 peoples and their gear, particularly if you want to keep it simple.
On Youtube and Instagram you can find plenty of people that did the full Europe to Cape Town or Europe to Singapore in a *J70, a KDJ125, a Land Rover 89, etc. and pretty sure you can fin people that did the full Panamerican in a 3D Jeep.

Did it with a1950 cj3a. 2wk Baja adventure in mid 80s. Will produce pics once I clean out my storage.

BTW, that trip beat the hell out of us.
A old jeep is so small and light that if you have 4 fit guys some rope and poles and carry your gear in a trailer you can get the rig through almost anything by shuttling. (unload the trailer at the big obstacles or mudholes) and use manpower/ropes and poles to get through. Most modern vehicles to include a short wheelbase LC70 are too heavy for this type of thing. Most modern middle aged guys with time and money to overland aren't wanting to do that sort of hard, dirty adventure anymore.

Surplus Army HMMWV trailer is a great platform for overlanding in a mid wheelbase vehicle. Not too heavy plenty strong/durable enough for off road, and with canvas top and poles it's big enough to sleep in out of the weather on stretchers cots or hammocks. Put your gear in the trailer and keep your truck light and uncluttered. Unhitch and explore nearby more difficult tracks. Pull out your gear when you set up camp making enough room to sleep in the trailer. Trailer is also tall enough to sleep under it and be out of the rain(use wheel chocks).

trailer probably wouldn't have worked. going in from the west to mikes sky ranch, I estimated 3 hrs @ 5 mph...6 hours later....lots of boulders crossed.

I think the racers do that stretch @ 40+ mph.

One of the coldest nights I've slept was next to the creak below msr. Every stitch of clothing went on, including rain gear.

Just stumbled on this on a French Facebook group about 4x4 setups :
View attachment 2717906
View attachment 2717909

Not much details on the original link but maybe it can be a little inspiration or able to ask questions :

Thats pretty much the idea. The good point is that the extended top I have is a mold/skin over the factory top so it takes some of the guessing and configuring away. Thanks for that post!

@renago
Again, I don't plan on going on huge trips for weeks at a time (at this point) I know a troopy would be better for that. I have the top for free, and after we finish moving/remodelling our place I'll start working on it again.

More pictures of the KZJ73 conversion completed :
1629710611477.png

I just got mostly settled in at our new place and finally got the top back in my possession. Hopefully will start digging into it again soon.

Reactions: flx
After owning a troopy with a pop top I vote for a roofrack with a roof top tent unless you plan to go out camping every other weekend or so . I actually have a 73 roofrack here that was on a hzj73 and they traveled with it from Belgium to Mongolia and back a decade ago fully loaded as this was a young couple with 2 small trips on a extened travel , think they took over a year on that trip and the roofrack and frp held up without any issues.

After owning a troopy with a pop top I vote for a roofrack with a roof top tent unless you plan to go out camping every other weekend or so . I actually have a 73 roofrack here that was on a hzj73 and they traveled with it from Belgium to Mongolia and back a decade ago fully loaded as this was a young couple with 2 small trips on a extened travel , think they took over a year on that trip and the roofrack and frp held up without any issues.

That probably does make a ton more sense and much easier. This is definitely just a fun project, so I will see where it goes with trying to get it apart.

It's possible if I dont build the pop-top from it, it might just be a cool cargo/window topped/storage top setup. Pretty much just limited by budget, which is pretty limiting :rofl:

Flip open windows, windows in the upper portion. More of just something fun to build and mess with and not having to worry about messing up my original top.
More like the Land Rover look though...not sure on that.

I still like this idea of finding a truck bed camper to slide in. I have found a few that will fit and would be really nice for camping, it's just finding the right one.

Outside height 2,66 m. Lenght 4,75 m Width 1,82 m

Weight 330 kg with Equipment

img_0609r.jpg
img_0621.jpg
img_0628.jpg
img_0673.jpg
img_0689-e1548706862745.jpg

Another cool find on the interwebs.

This one has the whole back rebuilt. Not really what I'm wanting to do.

View attachment 2351162

This from the same company is a little more interesting, but still quite a huge build.

View attachment 2351172

As you can see, they still kept the main body and built a shell around it. Their website is still good, and while in German, I'm struggling to find and email address just for more pictures.

View attachment 2351177

I will probably still focus on wedge/straight up or side/front flip IF I can get that shell off. Otherwise it's get the saw out.
did you ever complete your build? just bought myself a mwb cruiser and dreaming of doing the same sort of conversion over here in aus!

did you ever complete your build? just bought myself a mwb cruiser and dreaming of doing the same sort of conversion over here in aus!

Nope lol. Yeah I started working on it then we moved, daughter graduated and house remodel, and and…

I’m hoping to start working on it again this spring/summer. Currently I also have a VW eurovan with a pop top so that will help with figuring things out.

Post up a picture of your middy.

Nope lol. Yeah I started working on it then we moved, daughter graduated and house remodel, and and…

I’m hoping to start working on it again this spring/summer. Currently I also have a VW eurovan with a pop top so that will help with figuring things out.

Post up a picture of your middy.
needs a bit of love but hoping to one day have her ready enough to tour from each continent haha let us know if you start yours! i might just go for a roof top tent til i put some more thought and research into it also

B848119A-1C28-4028-B20C-5846EEC6B376.jpeg

Hey nice middy! They are all a project. I have a rooftop tent as well I’m trying to decide if I want to run it or not with my soft top since it has good roof rails to use.

I still think the wedge style would best for these middy tops. Hinge the front and use some hydraulic lifts to open it.

he
needs a bit of love but hoping to one day have her ready enough to tour from each continent haha let us know if you start yours! i might just go for a roof top tent til i put some more thought and research into it also

View attachment 3246904
have you considered “sinking” ( for lack of better word) a fibre glass roof top tent into the top of the canopy? say cutting the lid from the old one off and placing the base of the temt where that one should be?

he

have you considered “sinking” ( for lack of better word) a fibre glass roof top tent into the top of the canopy? say cutting the lid from the old one off and placing the base of the temt where that one should be?

7DB90937-C254-403D-B9D5-D4605F07196E.png

he

The roof top tent I have is an ezi-awn series III. 96x 71” open, and 48” x 71 closed.

71” will fit under the MWB top length wise, and 48” fits…but the height won’t fit under the front portion without some pretty good mods I think.

I’m still trying to sort this out and haven’t abandoned it yet, but it will probably have to be all from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom