Replacement front fenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to try and convert a set of 1971 fenders to my 1977 cruiser. It looks like I would need to do a bit of drilling, and welding of some holes and brackets. Alternatively I could just buy new. That has me looking, but I hear there are some that bolt together, some that are to thin, some outrageously expensive and there are mythical OEM ones. My question is: what’s the closest to the original out there for my year type? Thank you all. I’d also like to try and make this a searchable spot for future mudders with the same problem.

thanks all.

When i purchased my OEM fenders years ago i had to swap my igniter bracket over to the new fender.

A long time ago I purchased a pr of cott aftermarket fenders from a mud member. He was doing a restoration and he wasn't happy with the fitment, so they were offered at a deep discount. I knew I would have to remove the skins and reposition them. A couple of yrs ago I tried to put them on and decided I didnt want to work that hard, so I purchased a pr of OEM's from Patrick over in Germany. They were expensive, but less than what they go for now. The difference between aftermarket and stk Toyota sheet metal and weight was huge. Of course oem's fitment was spot on. Its my understanding newer aftermarket fitment is much better these days. I would buy oem's over and over again.

When i purchased my OEM fenders years ago i had to swap my igniter bracket over to the new fender.
X2...I also bought OEM fenders from Germany from a mud member and had to remove the igniter bracket from another fender as well. I’m sure plenty of members on here have fenders not worth keeping and can get you whatever parts you need to go onto a new OEM fender if you decide to go that route.

Those are missing the igniter bracket, but it’s still an option. Thank you

X2...I also bought OEM fenders from Germany from a mud member and had to remove the igniter bracket from another fender as well. I’m sure plenty of members on here have fenders not worth keeping and can get you whatever parts you need to go onto a new OEM fender if you decide to go that route.

Believe the missing igniter has to do with US emissions. Probably part of the reason why Toyota dropped the FJ40 in 83 and never brought in the 70 series. Sales were nothing compared to their small cars. Not worth keeping up with emissions and safety regulations for much smaller sales. Land Cruiser did not help their most full efficient full car line up. While we didn't get the 70 series we did get the 85 4Runner with solid front axle and fuel efficient 4 cylinder before switching to independent front suspension in 86.

Never played attention to a set of 76 fenders and 77 passenger fender I have to see if the igniter bracket is there. Do remember the charcoal canister bracket is still bolted to the 77 fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom