Oil Leak from Head - What's This? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 1977 FJ40 and found an oil leak coming from the head, it is right behind the air cleaner bolts on passenger side in the head, it has some sort of plug but when running has a constant leak. Any ideas how to fix or what it's there for

20210822_085123.jpg

20210822_085126.jpg

20210822_085149.jpg

20210822_085114.jpg

20210822_085143.jpg

That's the oil galley plug. It's pressed in. That's where the head was drilled for the oil passageway to the rocker assembly. Search it up. It can be drilled, tapped and plugged.
Get to it soon. if it blows out, you'll loose oil & pressure quickly and do serious damage.

That's the oil galley plug. It's pressed in. That's where the head was drilled for the oil passageway to the rocker assembly. Search it up. It can be drilled, tapped and plugged.
Get to it soon. if it blows out, you'll loose oil & pressure quickly and do serious damage.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply, yeah it's grounded until fixed.

More info from FAQ’s

Good catch.

You will likely need a right-angle drill to get in there, or at least a compact one.

Nicely done! Sounds like you did it just right. I think I JB-Welded mine in place, and zero leaks for several years.

Even if you catch it before any damage it makes mess of the engine bay if it pops out.

How do I get some legroom in this ol girl?
Fabricate steel mounts that move the driver's seat back about 2". It's a blessed 2", however, and fixes the legroom problem for most people. You can't go much further back because the back of the seat tracks will be close to hitting the tub. There are pix and threads, but if you study it, it will make sense.

Fabricate steel mounts that move the driver's seat back about 2". It's a blessed 2", however, and fixes the legroom problem for most people. You can't go much further back because the back of the seat tracks will be close to hitting the tub. There are pix and threads, but if you study it, it will make sense.
Thanks, yeah I have been reading about it this morning. Have a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom