Call all emissions experts! - equipment compatibility question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m CA - trying to smog … like everyone else…

I have a late model 76 that has a 77 sticker on inner door USEPA (FED) non-catalyst. My PO tore every bit of emission equipment out and changed carb to fit what he did…

Question is this:
Compatibility wise
I need to smog. *if I purchase an entire 1978 emissions system along with matching carb - can I make that work on my rig??

considering it’s the entire system I would just be integrating…
I don’t want to start purchasing if it ain’t gunna work.

thanks for any info…I’m willing to pay to get my car on the ride so spare me the “move to a different state” comments 😉

Might possibly be cheaper to install a smog legal GM V6 or V8, plus it would work better, more power, better milage- - -just saying.

I think you should share some of these questions with your local smog test referees, perhaps get a printed copy of requirements. Working with CARB could help prevent expensive mistakes.

Wiring between the emissions computer and engine bay and the engine bay wiring will be different based on a quick look at the schematics. The computers are different and the computer plugs are different. It probably could be made to work, I can't say if it would pass smog inspection. Do you have to have the California specific equipment if the truck wasn't originally a California truck?

i don’t know the answer to that - that’s why I’m trying to get it into Georg and get some solid answers about how to go about this.

i don’t know the answer to that - that’s why I’m trying to get it into Georg and get some solid answers about how to go about this.
I think you have chosen wisely.

If it’s a 76/77 that had smog. It’s actually pretty easily reversible. I had to do it myself. granted they left the carb, just caped it. Just find an emissions diagram for your year, a desmog diagram, and some pictures. There are plenty of people that desmog there cruisers. I’m sure they are up on the wanted adds, or you could put up a want ad. You can do it. I’m here if you have any year specific questions.

30915913-2028-46C4-8EC9-F3FCD8CE61D7.jpeg

image.jpg

Holley sniper fuel injection with the 2 barrel setup? Self learning and I think there’s a company that sells the whole package deal with distributor and everything you need. For a little extra cheese they sell the adapter to use the original air cleaner.

We’re Americans, there’s nothing we can’t do. I have an air injection rail to contribute to this project with a check valve. Who’s next? Whatcha got?

Georg has been using the Smog Station in Dublin to do his smog work. Give Troy a call at 925-828-9119. I did the same job 25 years ago on a basket case 76, but it was a lot easier to find parts back then. The 76/77 system is fairly simple, so I'd stay with it. The 78 system is different and parts not interchangeable, so you would need everything, including plugs and wiring harness. I still have the 76 Toyota Emissions manual I used to reconstruct the system.

Georg has been using the Smog Station in Dublin to do his smog work. Give Troy a call at 925-828-9119. I did the same job 25 years ago on a basket case 76, but it was a lot easier to find parts back then. The 76/77 system is fairly simple, so I'd stay with it. The 78 system is different and parts not interchangeable, so you would need everything, including plugs and wiring harness. I still have the 76 Toyota Emissions manual I used to reconstruct the system.
Troy has a couple of 60 series that are basket cases (owner bought on BaT without inspections) he is cleaning up. I don't even know if basket case is the right word for one of them.

Call Ron at Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy. He's done this smog stuff before.

I’m CA - trying to smog … like everyone else…

I have a late model 76 that has a 77 sticker on inner door USEPA (FED) non-catalyst. My PO tore every bit of emission equipment out and changed carb to fit what he did…

Question is this:
Compatibility wise
I need to smog. *if I purchase an entire 1978 emissions system along with matching carb - can I make that work on my rig??

considering it’s the entire system I would just be integrating…
I don’t want to start purchasing if it ain’t gunna work.

thanks for any info…I’m willing to pay to get my car on the ride so spare me the “move to a different state” comments 😉

i have had excellent feedback on these , but NO guarantees to be clear here .........

u get lucky with a pair of ACE's up your sleeve or you don,t ...

these are 100% exact faithful Reproductions in every way .....fyi

however for Antique car Restoration purposes and Novelty use only ....

1629353683975.png

1629353802303.png

Hey I’m also in NorCal with a ‘77 going through the same thing as you. Where in the Bay Area are you?

mine is a Cali spec and was missing most of the emission stuff, but I was able to find most if not all parts. Is yours also a Cali spec? We should compare notes if you’re close by. From the parts manual I remember some parts being compatible from 78 to 77 (can be easily checked) and you can probably find the non-matching ones easier after than just sourcing everything separately.

Hey I’m also in NorCal with a ‘77 going through the same thing as you. Where in the Bay Area are you?

mine is a Cali spec and was missing most of the emission stuff, but I was able to find most if not all parts. Is yours also a Cali spec? We should compare notes if you’re close by. From the parts manual I remember some parts being compatible from 78 to 77 (can be easily checked) and you can probably find the non-matching ones easier after than just sourcing everything separately.

Ya after some serious digging I’ve found out through ID #’s mine is a Canadian import late model 8/76-something/77 ; so they slapped a 77 sticker on the inner door USEPA (federal) that also says Non-catalyst which georg’s smog guy told me would help me.

I’m in San Mateo. Right over the 92

I would recommend creating a list of parts you have and the ones you need when you decide what year and spec you wanna go by. The parts catalog is a great resource to find compatibility from year to year (you can find it on ih8mud). As an example this is what I created for mine:

Emission Parts- page 1.png

Emission Parts- page 2.png

Emission Parts- page 3.png

Emission Parts- page 4.png

Emission Parts- page 5.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom