Which is the correct Nebula Green?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I originally wanted to get my FJ40 painted Fashion Green but out of 5 paint shops locally (in Kuwait) and one in Abu Dhabi where my car is being built, only one had the color in their database and the sample I got from them was closer to a blue-grey than a green-grey. After giving up on Fashion Green I decided to go for Nebula Green which all six suppliers had available. But the 5 local suppliers that gave me samples all looked a lot darker than the green in the photos I found online. The Abu Dhabi based paint shop sent me a sample that actually looks similar to the online photos, but it's weird that 5 other suppliers all gave me a similar darker green and he gave me a much lighter one. I'm guessing he might have color-matched it to photos online and not to the actual paint code.

Can anyone help me out here? Does Nebula Green look brighter once on the car? Do the samples look correct? I'm so confused and only have once chance of getting this right :(

nebula6.jpg

nebula5.jpg

nebula4.jpg

nebula3.jpg

nebula2.jpg

Assume you are using a restoration shop in Abu Dhabi? That's a long way from Kuwait. Good luck with the choice....not easy.

yeah a restoration shop, long way from Kuwait and with the pandemic I can't even travel there at the moment hence making everything extra complicated 😅

Are all samples from PPG ?

Are all samples from PPG ?

One of them is from the Toyota dealer who have Nexa Autocolor which is part of the PPG group. I think maybe I should head to the scrap yard find a fender from a random car and have a paintshop paint it for me. Won't be cheap but I guess cheaper than painting the whole car and then realizing I don't like the color.

This is the factory paint on my unmolsted (except for the windscreen which was oddly coated in red) '72 Nebula Green 40's hood after a good cut and polish with professional grade stuff and an operator who knows what he is doing -

IMG_20210813_165637.jpg

Picture was taken indoors but it lived in a moderate southern Australian near coastal climate all its life

Thank you that was extremely helpful! The color matches the darker samples I got, I guess the photos online were just taken under bright sunlight making them look a lot lighter than the color actually is.

Just a quick update for anyone going through the same issue as me. I had my body shop paint a damaged fender they had in Nebula Green and once painted on a large panel the color looked a lot lighter than the small card sample. It looks like what nebula green should look like now. So the card sample I got from the restoration shop (the really light green card) is not correct, all the other darker samples on the left of it are the correct ones. The pictures below are of the fender painted in the green card with the arrow pointing at it.

green1.jpg

green2.jpg

green3.jpg

green4.jpg

Just wanted to share some photos the builder sent me this morning of the car. There is still a snag list of things to do but the car is around 99% done and I'm flying out this week to check it in person before they ship it over.

The FJ is a 1980 model but with some changes I wanted. I wanted the last-gen FJ40 but didn't want the plastic dash so had them source me a 1980 car. But I also like the look of the older gen cars with the round front grill, emblems, turn signals, steering wheel etc.. so had them make those changes for me. I didn't want any carpets or to turn the FJ into a more premium-looking car, I just wanted a very utilitarian look so just had them get me the OEM rubber mats for the floor.

It's mostly stock, a 2F engine with a 4-speed gearbox. Ordered the vintage air with their "ultra-high-performance" blower since I live in Kuwait. Had them install two speakers behind the driver and passenger seats, USB port in the glove box and tuffy center console. Also got Billstein shocks, no lift though since I need the car to be under 2 meters tall or else it won't fit in my underground car park. Also electronic ignition and powered steering.

The guys have done a great job so far and managed to source a ton of parts. Can't wait to get it. I'm using Classic Drive Garage for the build (@fj40uae on insta) and they're based out of Abu Dhabi and specialize in FJ40 restorations (my car is #63).

8ddfb467-4afe-4253-8844-2c9a23b31c91.jpg

b2306dcd-907f-4860-bdf2-2b0acc460380.jpg

caa1ca4d-58e6-470d-82d8-08638898d9a6.jpg

27f22089-7c1c-4240-b5f2-5a7736a1edec.jpg

d2b465a7-8f1b-4997-bf0e-36ff2cee965d.jpg

Snag list includes:
- front windshield to be replaced with one that doesn't have blue tint on top
- front lockers need to be installed
- 2-inch tow receiver to be installed
- fog light switch to be installed
- Missing rear hub cap for spare
- Seatback covers need to be installed