Need your input on a 40 I'm looking to buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I don't really post on the 40 forums, but I've been around the 200s for years. I hate to sound like a newbie, but let's face it, I am when it comes to 40s. Anyway, I've been wanting one and just kind of kicking tires for years, so I know what I want when it comes to color, accessories, lift, etc., but I still need lots of help knowing what to look for in a purchase. I found this one on ebay yesterday, and from the 15,000 ft view it looks great (I think he's asking too much), but I'd like to get your opinions on it. From the pictures, can you tell if it's a clean resto? What do you think about the original engine vs. a V8 swap? I was thinking this would be worth more in the mid $30k, but what are your thoughts on that, and any other info or help you might have. Thanks guys!

Well it could be great or could be otherwise. It's a South American import and not US spec. That's not the original paint color, upholstery, etc. You would have no idea if there is a light skim coat of bondo or much more and impossible to tell original miles. Otherwise it looks fine. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, I don't really post on the 40 forums, but I've been around the 200s for years. I hate to sound like a newbie, but let's face it, I am when it comes to 40s. Anyway, I've been wanting one and just kind of kicking tires for years, so I know what I want when it comes to color, accessories, lift, etc., but I still need lots of help knowing what to look for in a purchase. I found this one on ebay yesterday, and from the 15,000 ft view it looks great (I think he's asking too much), but I'd like to get your opinions on it. From the pictures, can you tell if it's a clean resto? What do you think about the original engine vs. a V8 swap? I was thinking this would be worth more in the mid $30k, but what are your thoughts on that, and any other info or help you might have. Thanks guys!

If this is your first FJ40 and for that type of money, don't let pictures dictate your purchase. Be sure to put your eyes on it. If you need any help, I'm just across the county line from you.

Best of luck!

If this is your first FJ40 and for that type of money, don't let pictures dictate your purchase. Be sure to put your eyes on it. If you need any help, I'm just across the county line from you.

Best of luck!
Thanks, I would definitely need a lot more info on it before I purchase, and of course see it for myself, so that's kind of what I'm wanting to know what you guys would normally look for. Any specific issues to 40s, other than rust of course. Also, I'm not planning on spending $44k for it, that's just too much. If he won't come down a good bit, I just won't buy it. I do love that color though. ;)

It's not cheap. It's still on ebay , get an inspection by someone who knows them. Some money spent on an inspection can save you a lot down the road.

As others said, its an import. Id want to see pics of b4 the restore. It could be a bondo bucket. It's got some weird ass spring over suspension things going on. Way too much money. Id pass. For that money id want a US spec model. You should be able to find a solid rig, one in your budget. You can always add options once you get one.

Im fine with and prefer v8's. I want a driver with p/s and 4 wheel disc at a minimum.

I don’t advise here often but when I do I can get critical!
For your first 40 series I’d look for a normal one, NA or SA import. You don’t need the down the road baloney this one presents. Spring over with some hack of an 80 series front end? I looks nice, the 5spd is nice but to buy someones hobby rig is a chance to take.
Someone is always selling a nice 40 series for that price. Or contact @TWatson or @aljollano for a clean Columbian rig.

devo

the guy posted it on mud for sale, maybe a month ago, let me find the link
found it:

That radius arm conversion looks sketchy at best and I can see the typical spot where the frame was broken and repaired (and subsequently attempted to be hidden) that’s typical on the South America rigs

Basically pass.

Gotcha, thanks guys for the info, that's exactly the kind of things I was wanting to know.

That radius arm conversion looks sketchy at best and I can see the typical spot where the frame was broken and repaired (and subsequently attempted to be hidden) that’s typical on the South America rigs

Basically pass.
I agree that the front end is sketchy and this rig should be abandoned

But, I will disagree that this is typical on South American rigs. I drive one, plenty of folks drive SA rigs and they are and can be as sound as any NA 40 that you would like to compare them with. There are and has been plenty of NA 40’s on the marked that are total trash, hacked to stupidity, bondo’d, over sprayed and sold to NA suckers.

devo

As others have said, I would stay clear of the SA imports unless you can lay your hands on it first and have an inspection done If you need a second opinion. I've personally seen some real SA hack jobs. At that price you are all into it at retail price. I would be very leery about the tranny and suspension mods. Bring a Trailer would be a very good place to start looking. I found Miss Scarlet on Craigs List for $22K. She was a two owner with documentation and 95% rust free with no bondo. She had spent over seven years sitting in a airplane hanger and the last few years garaged leaking from everywhere. I've put over $10K getting her in top shape. So I'm into her for about $33K. Cold air, power steering and no bed pan required under her now. You would probably never get your money out of that $44K lipstick job on eBay. I've turned down a $35K offer on Miss Scarlet. Besides, the wife would kill me. She says it attracts men like flies when she drives it!

I agree that the front end is sketchy and this rig should be abandoned

But, I will disagree that this is typical on South American rigs. I drive one, plenty of folks drive SA rigs and they are and can be as sound as any NA 40 that you would like to compare them with. There are and has been plenty of NA 40’s on the marked that are total trash, hacked to stupidity, bondo’d, over sprayed and sold to NA suckers.

devo

sure. There are a couple good ones. But you’re out west and I’m in Orlando and see probably 75% of them when they come through Miami port before they filter out to the rest of the country.
EVERY 43 I have seen (including my own) has had the frame rails broken and repaired in front of the fixed spring hanger.
I have a 40 in right now that has a 1/8” of filler over the entire vehicle. I had a 43 last week that the entire door shells were made of filler.

the majority are junk

sure. There are a couple good ones. But you’re out west and I’m in Orlando and see probably 75% of them when they come through Miami port before they filter out to the rest of the country.
EVERY 43 I have seen (including my own) has had the frame rails broken and repaired in front of the fixed spring hanger.
I have a 40 in right now that has a 1/8” of filler over the entire vehicle. I had a 43 last week that the entire door shells were made of filler.

the majority are junk
Why are messing with such junk?

devo

devo
Reason is the value of FJ40 goes way up in USA and SA tries to capitalize on this. Buyer beware. From what I have heard , FJCO uses imports all the time. Difference with them it is just a base and they get rid of the problems with them. Then a new FJ40 emerges, and not cheap.

Last edited:

devo

Every customer’s money is the same to me :meh:
And I love land cruisers and want to see their owners enjoy them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom