Custom 35" tire cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so I'm about to get new rubbers mounted in the next week or so and I don't currently have a tire cover for my spare. I like the look without one but I don't want my brand new tires getting baked by the sun and getting rigid prematurely.
So....I thought I'd find a tire cover for the day-to-day to keep the sun off. Well, after looking around and realizing that 98% of all tire covers have something really tasteless or stupid on them - I'm now considering having a custom cover made to compliment the cruiser. And by "custom" I mean "custom graphic" not necessarily 100% custom (that would be cool too, though :hmm:)

Anywho - here's my two leading ideas. Imagine the spare with a black cover as a base with the respective graphics printed/applied to the fabric. Thoughts?
2021-08-10-21-40-38.jpg

2021-08-10-21-21-12.jpg

Not done brainstorming yet. I like the land cruiser emblem the best so far but I'm open to other ideas. I just don't want the tire cover to ruin the overall look of the vehicle and I feel like a lot of the ones currently available do that.

Also considering an escape gear cover. I don5mind paying someone for a custom logo but I want the base cover to be durable.

I like the custom idea but I don't know that I want it custom as much for the sake of being custom as I just wanted something that won't look stupid. Both of the above options fit that bill.

my faves:

3e366779-3844-4f05-99c1-b06a28717a99_1.907a440e8d64c668f8222f72289f5310.jpeg

il_1140xN.3210861167_th6o.jpg

How has it been in terms of fading?

I've had a tan one on my BJ74 for a couple years. It has faded some but it its not "bleached-out".

OK so I'm about to get new rubbers mounted in the next week or so and I don't currently have a tire cover for my spare. I like the look without one but I don't want my brand new tires getting baked by the sun and getting rigid prematurely.
So....I thought I'd find a tire cover for the day-to-day to keep the sun off. Well, after looking around and realizing that 98% of all tire covers have something really tasteless or stupid on them - I'm now considering having a custom cover made to compliment the cruiser. And by "custom" I mean "custom graphic" not necessarily 100% custom (that would be cool too, though :hmm:)

Anywho - here's my two leading ideas. Imagine the spare with a black cover as a base with the respective graphics printed/applied to the fabric. Thoughts?
View attachment 2756033

View attachment 2756034

Not done brainstorming yet. I like the land cruiser emblem the best so far but I'm open to other ideas. I just don't want the tire cover to ruin the overall look of the vehicle and I feel like a lot of the ones currently available do that.
My non-expert opinion is that your spare tire is at roughly the same risk over time as the other 4 on the ground, in terms of UV degradation. Especially if a daily driver and planning a 5 tire rotation, not sure it should make much difference covering 1 of 5 at any given time. As you mentioned, I like my nice pristine spare on its matching LX wheel to be displayed. And as I found out recently, with a low annual mileage truck, I’m going to be replacing the tires due to age well before the tread life is gone. When the rocks were taking out big chunks of dry rubber, I knew it was time (~8yrs). Now if you want the big sprinkled donut cover, that’s totally cool, too!!

My non-expert opinion is that your spare tire is at roughly the same risk over time as the other 4 on the ground, in terms of UV degradation. Especially if a daily driver and planning a 5 tire rotation, not sure it should make much difference covering 1 of 5 at any given time. As you mentioned, I like my nice pristine spare on its matching LX wheel to be displayed. And as I found out recently, with a low annual mileage truck, I’m going to be replacing the tires due to age well before the tread life is gone. When the rocks were taking out big chunks of dry rubber, I knew it was time (~8yrs). Now if you want the big sprinkled donut cover, that’s totally cool, too!!
Well, I never really gave it much thought except I noticed my spare getting rigid on the top half because it was getting baked on the regular. Yes, the four tires on the ground get exposure but if the vehicle is sitting the ones on the ground are never constantly getting direct light at the same time. A couple will get it for a bit, then they will shift into the shade, then the others get it for a while. The spare is completely exposed and gets hit all day long (currently I'm unable to garage my 80 - trust me, I wish I could). So I feel like $50 in a tire cover is a good way to keep that spare fresh. Yes, I will rotate it in with the others..but while it's up there hangin' out it quickly racks up the hours in the sun.

Here's the difference after over 2 years. The truck has been in a tent garage on and off during this time.
20210811_202000.jpg
20210811_201922.jpg

The velcro shows the most noticeable fading.

That's a 33 inch cover on a 285/75/16 tire, mounted on an 8 inch wide wheel. As you can see the fit is spot-on.

The velcro shows the most noticeable fading.

That's a 33 inch cover on a 285/75/16 tire, mounted on an 8 inch wide wheel. As you can see the fit is spot-on.
Yeah they look really nice. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one. I'll probably throw up some pictures once I have the new tires mounted and the cover in place.

Just to clarify, for the people reading this after the fact: I was questioning whether to commission a custom spare tire cover because I couldn't really find something that suited me. Hence the images in the first post. I have now settled on an Escape Gear canvas tire cover from Equipt. That doesn't mean I've totally trashed the idea of a custom cover but I'm working on a time line and I don't feel strongly enough about a singular design to put a lot of money in it right now. So to summarize: the thread title lied to you:rofl:

In all seriousness, I may have a custom cover made at some point. If I do, I will post it up here. But don't hold your breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom