1981 BJ42 with 3B Power Loss Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What I have seemed to figure out so far is the the issue will just appear, shortly after start up. I hear a click (like a relay turning off), engine power cuts off, then I hear another click and engine power comes back. This will go on for about 5-10 cycles and then seems to stop, most of the time. What is a bit weird is that once the issue starts I can make it worse by turning on the headlights. I've attached a video of this happening yesterday. Once I shut the headlights off the cycling usually stops.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Not sure if there is a relay or something related to the fuel delivery system. Injector pump maybe. Weird that it's so intermittent, and seemingly affected by the headlights. The issue doesn't get worse by running the fan or wipers. I've attached a YouTube video of the problem occurring.

Thanks all.

EDIC problem. Check all the connectors first. The EDIC relay is below the glove box.

Last edited:
Thanks. Below the glove box is exactly where the noise comes from.
So this was happening a lot on the drive home tonight. It sounds like it's coming from this relay under the glove box. It says Glow Plug Relay, and is installed the wrong way. The arrows are pointing toward the passenger door, not up toward the windshield. Is this the same thing as the EDIC?

IMG_7616.jpeg

This is a common problem with EDIC equipped diesels. The EDIC is cycling to STOP briefly. Its usually poor engine or body earths and it usually happens more when there's a heavier electrical load on the alternator (eg headlights on). To fix it remake all your earth points (new terminals, wirewheel on the attachment points, new cables if necessary).. mostly this solves the issue. In the meantime you can pop the EDIC rod off and it'll stop the problem, but you'll have to stall the vehicle to stop it. If this doesnt resolve it then you may have a faulty EDIC motor or fuel control relay. Some people have reported success with cleaning up contacts in the EDIC Motor and others have opened up the Fuel Control Relay and resolve PCB issues. A simple, possibly long term solution, is to fit a "stop cable" if nothing else resolves it. Not ideal, but it works.

the relay you pictured is not the relay that controls the EDIC,

you are looking for a relay that is labeled ‘fuel control relay’

the relay you pictured is not the relay that controls the EDIC,

you are looking for a relay that is labeled ‘fuel control relay’
Thanks. I think I've found it now. Couldn't see any writing on it though. Would there be aftermarket versions available? At any rate, I'm going through and checking the wiring first. That should keep me busy for many hours :)

Quick update. Re wired the fuel relay switch and re did a ground wire and the problem has stopped. I'm not saying it's fixed yet, but I've been driving it for 3 days now without any more issues. Fingers crossed! Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom