Mosley inspected 2F and drive train (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hired Mosley to do a prepurchase inspection of a running 2F and H55F. All checked out good. He said is VERY quiet and sounds healthy as well as Very smooth. No smoke and zero leaks. However 2 of the cylinders are lower.
#1 - 165
#2 - 135
#3 - 140
#4 - 160
#5 - 160
#6 - 150

So, is this any concern for a cruiser that may see 3,000 miles/year?

Personally that would worry me. Unless it's just tappet clearances. The compression might even out after running for a few hours. If it's been sitting forever without running the comp tests can be misleading.

wouldn't worry me at all. Run it.

It's a 2F, it will run quite happily for years with 125 psi in all 6 (this may be slightly exaggerated)

I'd do a warm valve adjustment, tune up and run it personally.

Personally that would worry me. Unless it's just tappet clearances. The compression might even out after running for a few hours. If it's been sitting forever without running the comp tests can be misleading.
It's a 2F, it will run quite happily for years with 125 psi in all 6 (this may be slightly exaggerated)

Its a daily driver and goes on 1,000 mile camping trips a couple times a month.

I believe all the adjustments have been made. It’s so smooth and quiet. The large compression difference in the valves is what worries me. But it seems to run really well

How many miles are on this engine?

I believe all the adjustments have been made. It’s so smooth and quiet. The large compression difference in the valves is what worries me. But it seems to run really well
Is it still in a vehicle? If so, do you know if it's been sitting at all?

From memory FSM states ~145 psi as being expected numbers on a new engine and minimum 113 psi, and 10% variance. You're well in excess of the minimum and while this probably isn't the textbook method, the average of the numbers is 151.6, and 10% is more or less which gives you 136 psi and + 10% is 166 psi. No, that's not strictly the correct way to do it, but I'd be happy to run it.

If you look at the median number which is 155 psi, you're still not far off 10%

Is it still in a vehicle? If so, do you know if it's been sitting at all?

From memory FSM states ~145 psi as being expected numbers on a new engine and minimum 113 psi, and 10% variance. You're well in excess of the minimum and while this probably isn't the textbook method, the average of the numbers is 151.6, and 10% is more or less which gives you 136 psi and + 10% is 166 psi. No, that's not strictly the correct way to do it, but I'd be happy to run it.

If you look at the median number which is 155 psi, you're still not far off 10%
It is and is a daily driver. Bering swapped out for a LS

It's time for a valve job anyway

Heck yeah. If you have the engine out, it would be the perfect opportunity to do the top end and check out the cylinders and do seals, gaskets, etc. Those compression numbers don't seem that unusual, and the top end job would likely correct it.

I’m going to go ahead and buy this motor and run it

I think you have chosen well. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom