Neighbor selling 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1994 80 Series NO RUST… Arizona Vehicle. My Dad got it with 38,000 Miles on it years ago, and now it’s at 230,000. It over heats and has an issue with the brake system or something. The best way I can explain is ; When you push the brake pedal to the Floor…it doesn’t seem to wanna STOP very well. It almost feels like it has no pressure in the brake lines. Interior is perfect. No lift, and I honestly don’t plan on a lift because I don’t want to do any crazy rock crawling. I have about
5-7k$ budget. I don’t know where to start. It has sat for 8 years without being a daily driver. I’m assuming I need a Solid TuneUp and other things done before relying on it, but ai am No Mechanic. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

View attachment 2751926

View attachment 2751927

View attachment 2751928

View attachment 2751929
It would be more appropriate to start your own thread with these kinds of questions. Pop into the copper state cruiser forums. We have a decent amount of people in the state.

1FZ guy is always gonna tell you that 3FE is trash. Nobody wants to admit HG is a problem for the 1FZ. i am sure you can buy a 96-97 for 25k and when your HG blows. You will find other excuses to justify. This forum is bias and will always be to make their trucks more desirable. Dont let the narrative fool you. I have a 91 3FE and yes, i would buy one again over a OBD 2 truck. This goes for all cars, there are just real haters out there. Do your research...

I know you 3fe haters out there think the FZ is the Second Coming, but some us are just fine in our cloth seat, no tint, dead realiable, old school 80s. The older ones are purdier, too
1FZ guys think their OBD2 trucks are best thing since slice bread. They all fancy the OLD school look and features their 1FZ truck lacks, but in reality, they are secretly swapping their HGs and beat up leather seats while drunk off their Octane and craving more boost like a meth addict....lol

Last edited:
All right, good news.

California has reissued and approved the new title, has mailed it, and hopefully I’ll have it in a week or so.

My neighbor has not grown tired of these shenanigans and still is willing to sell it to me.

So hopefully sometime next week I will take ownership!

Buy it for 5K if the 90K odometer is correct and there is NO rust. Take out the 3FE and sell it to those that love them. Put in a new 1FZ, ECU, Harness. Drive it, and enjoy. I wish I had neighbors who had 80's.
LOL...i am sure you will soon be pulling the 1FZ, cause swapping HG just a PM for those. Just do a LS swap if your want to go fast, cause the 1FZ is still a 20 yr old turd that is flawed
I counter offered him five grand and a trek bicycle, assuming it can pass smog, the 80 not the bicycle.

We will find out tomorrow.
what kind of trek bike? Could be $500 or $5000...lol

Sounds like the universe is telling you avoid a 3fe truck.
I have never had to replace a head gasket yet and I have 2 FZ's........I did have to pay a mechanic to replace on though :). Maybe I'll do it myself on the next one. I have yet to have poked fun at a 3fe though.

I have no respect for those who makes fun or poke fun at an older engine especially how the narrative on here is getting out of hand and the hate is obvious. I dont see 100s ppl make fun of 1FZ as much... I guess the silver lining is the SFA. I really care less if you have 20-50 or 100 more HP, at the end of the day, all those 1fz boys want to supercharge this, turbo that, and you will probably see more blown heads. Its a strategic marketing move and all the import shops are having field days. Without the 3FE, 1FZ probably would have never existed..

I have owned several 1fz rigs, some with over 300k, and never had a head gasket go. I can't say much good about the 3fe I had. Lost a rod out the side of the block back in 98 with about 175k miles on it.

After walking miles, at night, in the rain, I am done with with the 3fe. Also lost a rod in my 1f and took out the block with it too.

Face it, the 1fz is an updated engine that's just better. The uz series is another upgrade. Toyota has a pretty good track record of coming out with better and better stuff. Why not get the newer engine?
U r bias cause you have bad experience, i get it....just a little sour i see. Not everyone here owns a shop in Dublin, Ga. and have unlimited amount of time to fix up there LCs... besides, Dublin is a shi* hole no offense. i grew up in Ga. Get the newer engine and pay 10-15k more for something a little less reliable so you can go a couple mph faster up hill is not exactly a brilliant idea. anyways....i am done.

I have no respect for those who makes fun or poke fun at an older engine especially how the narrative on here is getting out of hand and the hate is obvious. I dont see 100s ppl make fun of 1FZ as much... I guess the silver lining is the SFA. I really care less if you have 20-50 or 100 more HP, at the end of the day, all those 1fz boys want to supercharge this, turbo that, and you will probably see more blown heads. Its a strategic marketing move and all the import shops are having field days. Without the 3FE, 1FZ probably would have never existed..

Duh......

It's called progress. ;)

The 1FZ being an improvement over the former, even if not in every area. Surely Toyota didn't change things only for marketing's sake. The 3FE is an excellent engine in it's own right. Many feel (and I believe with validity) the 1FZ improves on the former engine in most ways. Simply pay no attention to those who can't appreciate the difference in the attributes of both.

Most of what I've seen posted here over the years....is harmless 'ribbing' (back and forth) and falls well short of being 'haters'. IMO you have overstated that. Everyone be happy with what you have. 👍

Last edited:
1FZ guy is always gonna tell you that 3FE is trash. Nobody wants to admit HG is a problem for the 1FZ. i am sure you can buy a 96-97 for 25k and when your HG blows. You will find other excuses to justify. This forum is bias and will always be to make their trucks more desirable. Dont let the narrative fool you. I have a 91 3FE and yes, i would buy one again over a OBD 2 truck. This goes for all cars, there are just real haters out there. Do your research...
1FZ guys think their OBD2 trucks are best thing since slice bread. They all fancy the OLD school look and features their 1FZ truck lacks, but in reality, they are secretly swapping their HGs and beat up leather seats while drunk off their Octane and craving more boost like a meth addict....lol
LOL...i am sure you will soon be pulling the 1FZ, cause swapping HG just a PM for those. Just do a LS swap if your want to go fast, cause the 1FZ is still a 20 yr old turd that is flawed

what kind of trek bike? Could be $500 or $5000...lol
U r bias cause you have bad experience, i get it....just a little sour i see. Not everyone here owns a shop in Dublin, Ga. and have unlimited amount of time to fix up there LCs... besides, Dublin is a shi* hole no offense. i grew up in Ga. Get the newer engine and pay 10-15k more for something a little less reliable so you can go a couple mph faster up hill is not exactly a brilliant idea. anyways....i am done.
Holy s*** lol. I have never seen anyone this buttblasted over a motor before. Hilarious.

I have a 1994 80 Series NO RUST… Arizona Vehicle. My Dad got it with 38,000 Miles on it years ago, and now it’s at 230,000. It over heats and has an issue with the brake system or something. The best way I can explain is ; When you push the brake pedal to the Floor…it doesn’t seem to wanna STOP very well. It almost feels like it has no pressure in the brake lines. Interior is perfect. No lift, and I honestly don’t plan on a lift because I don’t want to do any crazy rock crawling. I have about
5-7k$ budget. I don’t know where to start. It has sat for 8 years without being a daily driver. I’m assuming I need a Solid TuneUp and other things done before relying on it, but ai am No Mechanic. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

View attachment 2751926

View attachment 2751927

View attachment 2751928

View attachment 2751929

Post up in the AZ clubhouse section and introduce yourself. Bunch of good Cruiserheads in AZ.

Duh......

It's called progress. ;)

The 1FZ being an improvement over the former, even if not in every area. Surely Toyota didn't change things only for marketing's sake. The 3FE is an excellent engine it's own right. Many feel (and I believe with validity) the 1FZ improves on the former engine in most ways. Simply pay no attention to those who can't appreciate the difference in the attributes of both.

Most of what I've seen posted here over the years....is harmless 'ribbing' (back and forth) and falls well short of being 'haters'. IMO you have overstated that. Everyone be
Holy s*** lol. I have never seen anyone this buttblasted over a motor before. Hilarious.
Naw, just have free time before heading up to the Rubicon tomorrow... enjoy the weekend

Marco Lau wrote:

Naw, just have free time before heading up to the Rubicon tomorrow... enjoy the weekend

No less for you Sir. Have a good time, be safe. 👍

@Marco Lau 's perspective on the 3FE vs 1FZ thing is reminding me of how the Christians around here like to split themselves up over small differences. My experience on this forum is that most of us think 80s are great from crawlers to stock, diesel to gas, blown to broken, etc. I see folks crossing drivetrain lines to discuss and help with all flavors of rigs ;)

Marco's right that when the conversation goes to purchasing and value that 1FZ/ODB2 is better gets thrown around a lot, often when it's not really that relevant like when there isn't a 1FZ option on the table for the OP. It's good to know the big differences in 80s before you buy but it's not good to have other folks preferences forced on you. The consistent bias that most of us agree on however is rusty vs. not though we're all glad to see the rust carnage and make suggestions for reigning it in!

And @Marco Lau , even though I drive a 1FZ, for many uses and aesthetically my preference is the first gen 3FE powered 80. I basically shopped for the first good 3FE or locked CE/40th I could find and luck put me in a locked CE. When I can justify a 2nd 80 it will be a 3FE 2-tone that I put narrow tires and steelies on :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom