H55F Compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So i have a 1986 bj70 landcruiser with a 3b diesel engine and a h55f 5 speed, just wondering what exactly i need to do to mate a 1990 1hz engine to it as i have just bought one?

Gonna need to swap spline shaft and get the 1HZ H55F bell housing. I recommend getting an exedy clutch as I did if you plan to turbo later down the road. Stock clutch will slip under the added torque.

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum... hope you can help.

I have a '90 BJ73 with a 2.5TD VM... not a bead engine but there's only so many times I want to re-fit CHGaskets. I believe it has a H55F gearbox and I would like to swap out the engine for a standard Toyota (3.4?) lump... 3B, 13B.

Does anyone know about spline/input length/bell housing compatibility when it comes to ripping out the (effing) VM and replacing it with a 3B.

Thanks.

And for anyone with a VM engined BJ73 I've got all the data sheets etc etc...

Cheers all.

DD

Happened upon thread, on another hunt for an elusive unicorn, but wanted to answer for posterity.

The VM'd BJ73s use an F/H input shaft, F/H clutch slave, and F/H clutch, F/H flywheel.

Reviving an old thread...

I'm on the hunt for an H55F for my '83 HJ47 Troopy and stumbled upon coolcruisers site. H55F - 5 Speed Transmission - Toyota. My understanding is that so long as their transmissions are from 2H/F it should all bolt up. Any opinions?

I have a 1994 h55 that I will fit to a 1f in a 1972 FJ55. You talk about spline count.. Is that simply the count found in the clutch disk you choose?

Another issue no one mentioned is the size of the pilot bearing the nose fits into. They are different as well... It prevents the B and HZ/HD inputs from being swapped even in the case of an adapter to the bellhousings.

I have the F input shaft on my gearbox, attached to a 13bt. I don't know what the bellhousing/clutch/flywheel setup is that makes it work, but there is a spacer made of 20mm plate cut with a gas set inbtween the gearbox and bellhousing (the opposite of what you would expect, as the F input shaft is shorter than the B).

When I discovered this I tried google, and found one reference to the same setup on a forum post from someone in a similar area of NZ to where I bought my truck. I think he also didn't know what bellhousing it was. Just posting this to add to the info on mud, as everything else I've read bar that one post says this is an impossible combination.

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I really need some help regarding my bj42....It has a 2b engine and I was wondering if I could fit a H55f transmission to it..what are some things I need to know?..

A h55f from a BJ7* would be easiest

Or you can get a h55f off another engine, there are 3-4, and change the input shaft to suit a B engine. You might need the B bell housing also.

you can use B / H and F family with H55F tranny .. it's just a matter of

1. correct bellhousing

2. correct clutch disc and flywheel ( surface )

3. correct input lenght ..

Sure B engines are short so H55F must have longer input to work there ..

H and F engines are longer so short input there ..

old engines are 10 coarse spline input and new are 14 or 21 fine splines ..
Hi there ..Is it possible to use a H55f transmission for a 2B diesel engine ?

Hi there ..Is it possible to use a H55f transmission for a 2B diesel engine ?
sure it is ..

correct bellhousing and correct input..

I have the F input shaft on my gearbox, attached to a 13bt. I don't know what the bellhousing/clutch/flywheel setup is that makes it work, but there is a spacer made of 20mm plate cut with a gas set inbtween the gearbox and bellhousing (the opposite of what you would expect, as the F input shaft is shorter than the B).

When I discovered this I tried google, and found one reference to the same setup on a forum post from someone in a similar area of NZ to where I bought my truck. I think he also didn't know what bellhousing it was. Just posting this to add to the info on mud, as everything else I've read bar that one post says this is an impossible combination.
Digging this up, hoping you may have some more info.

I'm in ChCh and just picked up a fj62 with a 13bt conversion. It has the 20mm plate (between bellhousing and gearbox) and the shorter than a 'b' bellhousing.

Sounds like the same as your setup. Do you know what the bellhousing yours had? Does the 'f' have the same pattern as 'b' ?

Yeah bro, the mystery short bellhousings are from Dyna trucks. Presumably running the 2wd version of the h55f. They must have a super short input shaft. Interestingly the later 15bf powered Dynas use an identical length bellhousing, which suits the h15x gearboxes.

I bought a spare s***ty 4speed gearbox cheap off marketplace and found it had the dyna bellhousing bolted to it but with a 17mm spacer plate.. This was in Kapiti. My truck came from Otago. I guess "back in the day" this was a known way to B swap a petrol cruiser.

If you ever have to do your clutch you'll probably find your pressure plate housing has been trimmed down with a grinder to fit in the dyna bellhousing. I went up to a 275mm clutch (from 260mm?) and had to grind the inside of the bellhousing as well as the pressure plate.

Thanks very much for the info, that's perfect.
The motor I have is definitely out of a dyna or coaster maybe. Has the powersteer pump running off timing gear. And the 'turbo' script is upside down on the crossover pipe.

Cheers mate