For Sale 1987 FJ60-Colorado-V8 Swap-Built (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Blue
It's with a heavy heart that it's time for my family to part ways with Babe the big blue ox. She has treated us well but since our daughter was born has not been getting the attention she deserves. This has been an amazing Colorado rig for us getting me and my family on some great trips, floating rivers, catching fish, hiking, camping, hunting and generally loving what the mountains have to offer. Unfortunately I don't have the time to keep up with what she needs though so its time to pass her on to the next adventurer!

I have recorded some of the original build on here which shows the learning experience I had building her up. She's not perfect but runs very well and I have always tried to focus more on the mechanical aspects over the aesthetic ones, hence the imperfections. I will try and outline all of the upgrades (with age), improvements, imperfections, and things to look out for below. Up until a year ago I drove her regularly (in fact daily for a few months) but hadn't even started her up since late summer of last year. I didn't have a trickle charger on so once I swapped the batteries out she started right up! No smoke, no hesitation, just ready for the next trip!! I pulled her into the garage and did some restart maintenance, new gas, oil change, fluid check, spark plug wires (damn field mice), air filter check, etc. Then gave her a good wash and clean and took the pics you see below.

Overall: I have kept up on oil changes and maintenance religiously, always using synthetic and changing every 3-5k miles. The coolant and transfer case has been changed and flushed 3 times in the last 25k and the front and rear pumpkins twice. The interior is in decent shape, the dash has one small crack in it that developed while sitting. Other than that the interior shows what I would expect for a 30+ year old vehicle.

This is NOT EMISSIONS COMPLIANT

On to the specs:
Approximately 25k miles ago was the original build:
1. Stripped down to frame and fixed any rust on frame, POR15 the entire frame
2. New in Box Ramjet 350 crate engine with all the fixings
3. New 5spd manual transmission
4. New Clutch, adapter from V8 to H55F
5. Changed transfer case and pumpkin fluids
6. Dual battery install with National Luna controller
7. Stainless battery trays for both sides
8. ARB front bumper with Warn VR 8-S winch (epic snow trip caused an upgrade to the current winch)
9. 4Plus dual swing out rear bumper
10. ARB Snorkel (not connected at the time
11. BFG AT KO2's 33x12.5xR15 including spare
12. Tuffy center console with Pioneer Radio, amp, and front and rear speakers
13. Handheld CB Radio
14. Fusebox wired under hood and in rear quarter panel
15. Winch is remote switched in cab, wireless controller.
16. 3" OME heavy, heavy lift installed. Extended shackles up front to level out the ride

Approximately 15k miles ago
1. Installed new Speed Hut gauge cluster with GPS Speedometer
2. Transfer case rebuild
3. Home built drawer slideouts in the rear with space for fridge
4. New VR 10-s Winch installed (only used since to drag a couple of trees on my property)
5. Built ammo can airbox and connected intake to snorkel
6. Relocated coolant overflow to driver's side
7. LED headlight upgrade
8. T-100 master cylinder and brake caliper upgrade
9. FJ80 steering box upgrade
10. Wired for 8 pin trailer including brake controller
11. Knock off side view mirrors
12. Wired backup camera in rear view mirror

Approximately 5k miles ago
1. Sound deadener installed on the entire interior
2. Rear shoulder belts installed
3. Home built rear cargo divider built
4. Rear side panels built and installed
5. New speakers all around
6. New Champion aluminum radiator installed
7. Dual radiator fans installed (switched in cab)
8. Got the V8 air conditioner connected and operational
9. New tie rod ends and adjusted alignment
10. Power steering cooler installed
11. Subaru Forester seats (drivers side is power and has the option for heat) MUCH more comfortable than the originals!!!

Approximately 5 hours ago
1. Brand new Optima Red and Yellow top 34/78 batteries installed
2. Oil Change
3. New spark plug wires
4. Fluids topped off as necessary
5. Checked air filter
6. Topped off AC refrigerant

So that's all the good, onto the so so or not so good things:
1. Obviously the body needs some attention, there is the standard 60 rust in the rear wheel wells and under the rear quarter panels.
2. Dents in the drivers front and passenger rear quarter panels
3. Surface rust through the powder coat on the rear swing outs
4. Somehow the rear view mirror cracked the windshield over the time she was sitting. I will have this replaced once I get firm interest
5. Surface rust is starting to pop up through the paint, especially around the rear windows
6. Tires are probably good for the rest of this year and maybe winter but won't last much longer than that.
7. No E-Brake, I have the hardware for the transfer case brake but never fully set it up. This means drums need to be periodically adjusted by hand

In the interest of full transparency these are a few things I would do to her if I wasn't selling
1. I used the wrong hose on the power steering pump to the cooler and back. It hasn't been a problem but does push the ATF through the hose making it look like the entire hose has a slow leak. I top off the steering fluid every oil change and it in no way affects the functionality of the steering
2. I would relocate the fuse box for the radiator fans and change one to a coolant temp switch (currently both fans are switched in the cab which isn't my ideal if someone forgets to turn it on.)
3. The AC has a very slow leak that I would track down and fix. Since installing it 2 years ago I have only filled the R135 twice but would still like to see that fixed.
4. New tires

All told I have over $30k invested in her, I know that is no where near a realistic number to be asking based on the body work that needs done. If I had the time to do that myself I'm confident this could be worth that or more with how cruisers are going these days! That being said I'd be looking for around $15k OBO. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions!

20210626_123149.jpg

20210626_123122.jpg

20210626_123149.jpg

20210626_123206.jpg

20210626_123305.jpg

GLWTS. As a fellow ramjet powered 60 series owner I've got to say its a great engine for these trucks. Not a bad price either!

It's with a heavy heart that it's time for my family to part ways with Babe the big blue ox. She has treated us well but since our daughter was born has not been getting the attention she deserves. This has been an amazing Colorado rig for us getting me and my family on some great trips, floating rivers, catching fish, hiking, camping, hunting and generally loving what the mountains have to offer. Unfortunately I don't have the time to keep up with what she needs though so its time to pass her on to the next adventurer!

I have recorded some of the original build on here which shows the learning experience I had building her up. She's not perfect but runs very well and I have always tried to focus more on the mechanical aspects over the aesthetic ones, hence the imperfections. I will try and outline all of the upgrades (with age), improvements, imperfections, and things to look out for below. Up until a year ago I drove her regularly (in fact daily for a few months) but hadn't even started her up since late summer of last year. I didn't have a trickle charger on so once I swapped the batteries out she started right up! No smoke, no hesitation, just ready for the next trip!! I pulled her into the garage and did some restart maintenance, new gas, oil change, fluid check, spark plug wires (damn field mice), air filter check, etc. Then gave her a good wash and clean and took the pics you see below.

Overall: I have kept up on oil changes and maintenance religiously, always using synthetic and changing every 3-5k miles. The coolant and transfer case has been changed and flushed 3 times in the last 25k and the front and rear pumpkins twice. The interior is in decent shape, the dash has one small crack in it that developed while sitting. Other than that the interior shows what I would expect for a 30+ year old vehicle.

This is NOT EMISSIONS COMPLIANT

On to the specs:
Approximately 25k miles ago was the original build:
1. Stripped down to frame and fixed any rust on frame, POR15 the entire frame
2. New in Box Ramjet 350 crate engine with all the fixings
3. New 5spd manual transmission
4. New Clutch, adapter from V8 to H55F
5. Changed transfer case and pumpkin fluids
6. Dual battery install with National Luna controller
7. Stainless battery trays for both sides
8. ARB front bumper with Warn VR 8-S winch (epic snow trip caused an upgrade to the current winch)
9. 4Plus dual swing out rear bumper
10. ARB Snorkel (not connected at the time
11. BFG AT KO2's 33x12.5xR15 including spare
12. Tuffy center console with Pioneer Radio, amp, and front and rear speakers
13. Handheld CB Radio
14. Fusebox wired under hood and in rear quarter panel
15. Winch is remote switched in cab, wireless controller.
16. 3" OME heavy, heavy lift installed. Extended shackles up front to level out the ride

Approximately 15k miles ago
1. Installed new Speed Hut gauge cluster with GPS Speedometer
2. Transfer case rebuild
3. Home built drawer slideouts in the rear with space for fridge
4. New VR 10-s Winch installed (only used since to drag a couple of trees on my property)
5. Built ammo can airbox and connected intake to snorkel
6. Relocated coolant overflow to driver's side
7. LED headlight upgrade
8. T-100 master cylinder and brake caliper upgrade
9. FJ80 steering box upgrade
10. Wired for 8 pin trailer including brake controller
11. Knock off side view mirrors
12. Wired backup camera in rear view mirror

Approximately 5k miles ago
1. Sound deadener installed on the entire interior
2. Rear shoulder belts installed
3. Home built rear cargo divider built
4. Rear side panels built and installed
5. New speakers all around
6. New Champion aluminum radiator installed
7. Dual radiator fans installed (switched in cab)
8. Got the V8 air conditioner connected and operational
9. New tie rod ends and adjusted alignment
10. Power steering cooler installed
11. Subaru Forester seats (drivers side is power and has the option for heat) MUCH more comfortable than the originals!!!

Approximately 5 hours ago
1. Brand new Optima Red and Yellow top 34/78 batteries installed
2. Oil Change
3. New spark plug wires
4. Fluids topped off as necessary
5. Checked air filter
6. Topped off AC refrigerant

So that's all the good, onto the so so or not so good things:
1. Obviously the body needs some attention, there is the standard 60 rust in the rear wheel wells and under the rear quarter panels.
2. Dents in the drivers front and passenger rear quarter panels
3. Surface rust through the powder coat on the rear swing outs
4. Somehow the rear view mirror cracked the windshield over the time she was sitting. I will have this replaced once I get firm interest
5. Surface rust is starting to pop up through the paint, especially around the rear windows
6. Tires are probably good for the rest of this year and maybe winter but won't last much longer than that.
7. No E-Brake, I have the hardware for the transfer case brake but never fully set it up. This means drums need to be periodically adjusted by hand

In the interest of full transparency these are a few things I would do to her if I wasn't selling
1. I used the wrong hose on the power steering pump to the cooler and back. It hasn't been a problem but does push the ATF through the hose making it look like the entire hose has a slow leak. I top off the steering fluid every oil change and it in no way affects the functionality of the steering
2. I would relocate the fuse box for the radiator fans and change one to a coolant temp switch (currently both fans are switched in the cab which isn't my ideal if someone forgets to turn it on.)
3. The AC has a very slow leak that I would track down and fix. Since installing it 2 years ago I have only filled the R135 twice but would still like to see that fixed.
4. New tires

All told I have over $30k invested in her, I know that is no where near a realistic number to be asking based on the body work that needs done. If I had the time to do that myself I'm confident this could be worth that or more with how cruisers are going these days! That being said I'd be looking for around $15k OBO. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions!

View attachment 2714696

View attachment 2714701

View attachment 2714702

View attachment 2714703

View attachment 2714704
Is this still available?

A simple no would answer that straightforward question. Rather than be a dick to the people that are going to read your ad (and not every comment after), you may be better served just updating it to “sold”.
Sorry Shutterguy, I wasn't trying to be rude.

Did the sale fall through on this? It is still listed as being for sale.

No I bought it and paid in full for it. It was delivered Saturday, Terry was awesome to work with. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
I bought this open to trade for a 200 series or a hdj81 and I can add cash on top of my end. Been daily driving for the past 8 months, bought a long range gas tank, fj cruiser trd wheels, and other misc. Replaced windshield. Has ZERO issues runs and drives awesome. Recently bought a 2013 Green Crewmax tundra thats the only reason I am considering selling. Car is now in utah 84010.

Some updated pics, I bought a couple fj40s the past couple months, plus a tundra I dont want it to sit. PM me if your interested.

20211029_180332.jpg

20210919_114044.jpg

20210923_120553.jpg

Yes it is the 1984 Mustang SVO silver state classic. Fun car, picked that up too over the summer.

Resized_IMG_20210704_133213_503.jpeg

Put some new tires on yesterday wrangler duratrac on fj cruiser trail team wheels. Rides like a gem.

20220409_114158.jpg

I’m curious where this 60 originated in Colorado. Friend of mine had one almost identical maybe 8-9 years ago here in Steamboat.

Aspen Colorado is where it came from. Pm me if your interested. And I would trust this to drive anywhere. It runs and drives perfect at 75-95mph all day long. Fly in drive home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom