Builds The Story of Blue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some more progress was made!
Replaced the front wheel bearings, old ones were quite loose. Found lots and lots of signs of incompetence. The large 54mm nuts were probably turned by a screw driver and a hammer, the lock tab washer ears were barely turned and the loose bearings scored the keyed lock washer rather badly. Worst of all, they used FIPG instead of a proper gasket.
Anywho, put new Timken bearings, seals and even new hub flange. Got a fresh alignment to correct the steering wheel angle (it was always tilted to right when going straight). I was quoted $500 for the job, so the 2-3 hours I spent on this job was very satisfying!

Took it out for a 200 miles road trip. The rear is definitely very bumpy, I might have to try King springs instead of the LC springs it has right now.

The alignment shop did a good job of adjusting the caster on front.

20210722_123613.jpg

Now that the mechanical stuff is mostly taken care of (besides the bouncy rear suspension), I started with adding a couple of interior goodies.
First off weathertech floor liners. I am just a big fan of these tough mats, they fit great and take all the abuse dished out by my younguns as well as the nasty, salty winter.
20210727_124543.jpg
20210727_124557.jpg

Next, I added a Scanguage with an ashtray mount from @CruiserGarage. Pretty neat little bracket that works as advertised.
After trying a couple of different XGuage codes, this one worked to display the transmission fluid!
TXD - 686AF101B4
RXF - 044105B40000
RXD - 2808
MTH - 00090005FFD8
20210728_135756.jpg

Finally, I added quadlock mount for my cell phone. I already had this mount added to the passenger side by the prev. owner (not sure where it came from) to I just added a RAM mount extension and this quadlock. My initial impressions: The base plate has some flex in it, which make the who contraption shake. Also, the quadlock is kind hard to put on one handed - but perhaps I need more practice.
20210727_220900.jpg
20210728_135801.jpg

Finally, I added quadlock mount for my cell phone. I already had this mount added to the passenger side by the prev. owner (not sure where it came from) to I just added a RAM mount extension and this quadlock. My initial impressions: The base plate has some flex in it, which make the who contraption shake. Also, the quadlock is kind hard to put on one handed - but perhaps I need more practice.
I've had a Quadlock mount/wireless charger on my Yamaha WR for about 8 months and still can't get it to clip in one handed. Rock solid mount though. I hadn't considered installing a Quadlock mount in the 100, but now I am!

Now that the mechanical stuff is mostly taken care of (besides the bouncy rear suspension), I started with adding a couple of interior goodies.
First off weathertech floor liners. I am just a big fan of these tough mats, they fit great and take all the abuse dished out by my younguns as well as the nasty, salty winter.
View attachment 2743943View attachment 2743944

Next, I added a Scanguage with an ashtray mount from @CruiserGarage. Pretty neat little bracket that works as advertised.
After trying a couple of different XGuage codes, this one worked to display the transmission fluid!
TXD - 686AF101B4
RXF - 044105B40000
RXD - 2808
MTH - 00090005FFD8
View attachment 2743947

View attachment 2743946View attachment 2743948
That scan gauge does it read oil /water temps

That scan gauge does it read oil /water temps
It does read the intake air and the coolant temp. Not sure about the engine oil temp.

Had another productive day today.
1. Installed the Bora 1.25" spacers I got a good deal on from a fellow member. My left front tire was rubbing on the frame on full left turn. This cured that issue and also, gave my truck a more aggressive look. I still have to flatten the pinch welds and use heat to mold back the fender liner to cure the rubbing there.
20210729_163230.jpg
20210729_110456.jpg

While I had the rear wheels off, I replaced the rubber bushings in the rear sway bar and replaced the LC springs with the fancy schmancy King springs. The issue I am trying to correct is the almost uncontrolled bouncing of the rear end. I assumed that the rear springs were too strong for the AHC so decided to switch to Kings.
Sadly this made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
I will check the front and rear AHC pressures soon but at the moment I am wondering if the globes are completely shot and need to be replaced. This bouncy ride is making me sad and making me miss my last truck with Tough Dog closed cell shocks.

Notice my safety work shoes in the first pic!

@IndroCruise and @suprarx7nut I have about 11 graduations between L and H settings, does that mean my globes are near end of life?

20210729_113927.jpg
20210729_121915.jpg

Edit: Sorry, just noticed your other LX doesn't have AHC anymore... if the sensor is still there, maybe try to swap it?

Have you tried swapping the rear AHC sensor with your other LX to see if that fixes the problem?

While I had the rear wheels off, I replaced the rubber bushings in the rear sway bar and replaced the LC springs with the fancy schmancy King springs. The issue I am trying to correct is the almost uncontrolled bouncing of the rear end. I assumed that the rear springs were too strong for the AHC so decided to switch to Kings.
I will check the front and rear AHC pressures soon but at the moment I am wondering if the globes are completely shot and need to be replaced. This bouncy ride is making me sad and making me miss my last truck with Tough Dog closed cell shocks.

@IndroCruise and @suprarx7nut I have about 11 graduations between L and H settings, does that mean my globes are near end of life?

View attachment 2745125View attachment 2745126

If AHC Neutral Pressures are in the correct range, then 11 graduations difference between LO and HI at AHC Tank should be good. 14 graduations = as new; 7 graduations = time to replace.

Attachments

• AHC HI-LO Test per FSM.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 54
  • AHC On-Vehicle Inspection and Specifications.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

View attachment 2745125View attachment 2745126

11 should be good. If the rear is bouncy with multiple spring combos check rear sensor (or replace it if you have a good OEM one handy). Do not use any aftermarket sensors. They are generally garbage.

If you have access to techstream or another AHC data tool, hook that up and watch the sensor as you move the axle up and down a few inches (either by using AHC or a jack under the rear axle. Should have very smooth response. If not, replace that sensor.

Thanks guys,, I do.have Techstream and the ability to read live data, I will report back. Didn't think the rear sensor alone could cause the bouncing!

If AHC Neutral Pressures are in the correct range, then 11 graduations difference between LO and HI at AHC Tank should be good. 14 graduations = as new; 7 graduations = time to replace.

11 should be good. If the rear is bouncy with multiple spring combos check rear sensor (or replace it if you have a good OEM one handy). Do not use any aftermarket sensors. They are generally garbage.

If you have access to techstream or another AHC data tool, hook that up and watch the sensor as you move the axle up and down a few inches (either by using AHC or a jack under the rear axle. Should have very smooth response. If not, replace that sensor.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed your other LX doesn't have AHC anymore... if the sensor is still there, maybe try to swap it?

Have you tried swapping the rear AHC sensor with your other LX to see if that fixes the problem?
My 99 is gone, but even when she was here the rear sensor was broken.

I will check pressures and see how the rear sensor is responding

So wait you’re gonna drop the “the stance is way better now” with no pics??? You’re a monster…

Hmmm bounciness almost always sign of blown globes, it only takes a couple minutes to twist one off and look inside to see if the membrane has ruptured or not. You got a 36mm fan clutch wrench with you? Relieve pressure off one of the rear corner and twist off and check.

Ok, fired up the old Techstream and read the pressures. Both front and rear are 7.5. Movement from L to N to H is quite smooth in the front and quite jerky in the back.

Also graphed the rear pressure sensor and rear height sensor. The pressure sensor holds absolutely steady at 7.5. The height sensor reads the height correctly (at least it reads the difference in inches for different heights) but the transitions are almost abrupt!

Now if this all does mean that I need to replace the rear height sensor, then is AISIN good enough? is hst026 the correct AISIN part number?

Ok, fired up the old Techstream and read the pressures. Both front and rear are 7.5. Movement from L to N to H is quite smooth in the front and quite jerky in the back.

Also graphed the rear pressure sensor and rear height sensor. The pressure sensor holds absolutely steady at 7.5. The height sensor reads the height correctly (at least it reads the difference in inches for different heights) but the transitions are almost abrupt!

Now if this all does mean that I need to replace the rear height sensor, then is AISIN good enough? is hst026 the correct AISIN part number?
Time for a new rear sensor. I'd go genuine Toyota.

Hmmm bounciness almost always sign of blown globes, it only takes a couple minutes to twist one off and look inside to see if the membrane has ruptured or not. You got a 36mm fan clutch wrench with you? Relieve pressure off one of the rear corner and twist off and check.
Would you think that even with 11 graduations between L and H there could still be blown globes? I am genuinely curious because the rear does fell like blown shocks in the conventional setup!

Would you think that even with 11 graduations between L and H there could still be blown globes? I am genuinely curious because the rear does fell like blown shocks in the conventional setup!

Not entire sure, but it's free to spin off the globe to look inside and it cost money to buy a new sensor. lol i'm cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom