LX470 or Tacoma? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I understand you guys are probably a bit biased, but I wanted to come here to ask. I currently have a 2011 Tacoma, dual cab, shortbed, TRD offroad, with a 3" lift, 33's, winch, steel bumper, skidplates, sliders, softopper, some electrical upgrades, etc. Basically the standard IG overlander upgrade package :cool:. It see's quite a bit of camping/offroad usage, and being in FL, those trips almost always start with a day or two of highway driving. It's also a daily driver.

I've recently come across the option to purchase a 2003 LX470, in decent shape, 185K. It sits at my bosses beach house in the Keys, FL most of the time. He knew I'd be interested, and told me to make an offer. I suspect I'd be able to get a good deal on it.

If I were to buy it, the LX would be a weekend warrior, and I'd find a more practical car to drive as a daily. What's your opinion of pro's and con's when comparing Tacoma vs LX? The thought of starting over with lift, wheels/tires, winch, etc sounds fun, and also like a pain in the @$$ at the same time.

What would you say is a good price for an average condition LX with 185K?

Don't pass on it....if a deal at all.

Totally different trucks.

100s are the best all around SUV period. Fit and finish will be head and shoulders above your Tacoma.

If you aren't using your bed to work out of or haul stuff, you won't be missing anything. Even then, you can get a cheap utility trailer for when you need it.

I daily'd my 100 for about a year until we moved further out from things and the magnitude of necessary maintenance reared its head.

I got a deal on a daily from a good friend of mine, so my cruiser is the official weekend beater. It's a nice combo, yes more insurance and property tax on two vehicles but it makes it easier in that I don't have to do all my maintenance at once.

Based on the brief uninformative information you've provided, see if you can get it for $4-$6k. If he hasn't been maintaining it and there's been a lot of sitting then try and get as close to the $4k as possible. It will be a steal for you in this market.

if it has lived in the keys, check for rust. I was there a few months ago and saw some salt rotted vehicles riding around.

This may or may not help you but as far as pricing an average LX... I purchased my '99 LX 470 with 220k miles for under $6,000 in May 2020. Sure, the clear coat is fading on the hood, it has a few dings and dents and chips here and there, front seats are worn out and a little shredded, the sun roof doesn't work.. But it was entirely mechanically sound enough for my liking (and NO RUST), came with a brand new set of 285/75r16 mickey thompson baja's and even the side mirror heaters and seat heaters still worked (did I mention the newly installed snorkel?).. Since owning, we've taken her on more than half a dozen or more week long road trips with only the basic PM (TB/WP, brakes, hubs, AC, etc.). I do some offroading here and there but mainly use as a DD and weekend warrior... only real con to me is the gas mileage :flush: ha! But is that really a con? You won't regret buying the LX.

Tacoma is cheaper to maintain and more parts availability. The trade off is you’re driving something that feels like a tin can.
Honestly, my tacoma feels pretty damned solid. Especially compared to some other rigs I've ridden in. Jeeps, Nissans, etc. I'm sure the LX feels much nicer, but I don't have complaints in that area regarding the Tacoma.

I would inspect the vehicle carefully, especially the frame. You say he keeps it next to the ocean most of the time, unless garaged which is not likely in the Keys, it may be a bit briny

if it has lived in the keys, check for rust. I was there a few months ago and saw some salt rotted vehicles riding around.
Yes, I definitely will. He's a pretty honest guy, and he did say there's no rust.

I'd buy it now before he realizes how much they are going for. If anything, drive it around for a bit and if you dont like it then sell it for a bazillion dollars.
Yea, I'm going to make an offer today. Honestly, I don't really think he cares if he gets the going rate. He's the type of guy that likes to give things away, and I'm one of the top producers here, so he seems to always like doing favors for us, lol.

Based on the brief uninformative information you've provided, see if you can get it for $4-$6k. If he hasn't been maintaining it and there's been a lot of sitting then try and get as close to the $4k as possible. It will be a steal for you in this market.
He's probably been maintaining it. He goes down to the Keys pretty often. I'd say at least once a month. $4k is exactly where I was at, so I think I'm going to make the offer today.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

Yea I would get a few pictures of the undercarriage before making an offer....

Yea I would get a few pictures of the undercarriage before making an offer....
I definitely will. Thanks.

Did these have any of the frame-rot issues that other Toyota trucks had? (It's a sensitive subject in the Tacoma community) :rofl:

I definitely will. Thanks.

Did these have any of the frame-rot issues that other Toyota trucks had? (It's a sensitive subject in the Tacoma community) :rofl:
Yea they have rust issues too. I haven’t heard of anyone replacing the frames like Tacoma’s but they definitely rust.

Also look very carefully around the front windshield for bubbling paint. At that price you may still go for it, but at least you know what you're getting. Repair can be 1-2k depending on how bad the rust is.

No rust issues like the Tacoma frames. Just normal old car ezposed to salt rust issues

As someone who has a 2000 LC and a 2015 4x4 Tacoma 4-cyl 5-speed Access Cab. You want both!

Every time you drive the LX your going to say to yourself. "I can't believe how nice this is" and will vow to never get rid of it.

I am telling you the absolute truth man, Yes there is Tacoma World but this is MUD... Whole world of difference...

Oh and "Welcome to the Resistance!" :beer::beer::beer:

If it's any of our business, are you planning on selling the taco to fund the LX? Assuming you've paid the truck off, that'll be a healthy amount of money to use to freshen up the LX and potentially buy a 15 year old corolla beater.

I'll put it this way, I have a 2020 TRD Pro Tacoma & a 2000 LX 470 with 256k on it.

I love my Tacoma, it's all done up with everything sans suspension (I'm keeping the TRD Fox shocks until they die)

But, I just swapped the suspension on the LX with 2" lift on nitro shocks, springs, diff drop, torsion bars etc.

The LX is a whole different beast - it is a LUXURY car that just so happens to have off road chops. Yeah it's rough, the seats are torn, but it is a pleasure to drive. It's so quiet and has great road manners. Plus cruising at 1500 rpm on the highway is just nice.

My Tacoma is more utilitarian, louder (probably also because of my roof rack) and a whole bunch of other stuff. I love the truck but they're apples and oranges in a sense.

FWIW I also have an F80 M3 and I tend to drive the LX the most of them right now.

Geez, $4K is a steal if its half way decent.
Its worth more than $4K parting it out.

I'll put it this way, I have a 2020 TRD Pro Tacoma & a 2000 LX 470 with 256k on it.

I love my Tacoma, it's all done up with everything sans suspension (I'm keeping the TRD Fox shocks until they die)

But, I just swapped the suspension on the LX with 2" lift on nitro shocks, springs, diff drop, torsion bars etc.

The LX is a whole different beast - it is a LUXURY car that just so happens to have off road chops. Yeah it's rough, the seats are torn, but it is a pleasure to drive. It's so quiet and has great road manners. Plus cruising at 1500 rpm on the highway is just nice.

My Tacoma is more utilitarian, louder (probably also because of my roof rack) and a whole bunch of other stuff. I love the truck but they're apples and oranges in a sense.

FWIW I also have an F80 M3 and I tend to drive the LX the most of them right now.
You either have 35s and never re-geared or you’re doing like 50mph MAX on the highway in the right lane to be coasting at 1500RPM lol… that’s definitely not normal if you’re going the speed limit 60-75 like it is in most states.

Just buy it regardless. If it LOOKS good and has some brown underneath, wire wheel it off. At worst, get it shiny and throw it on BaT for a guaranteed profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom