Bikini Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are numerous threads with questions about “Bikini” tops, but none (that I found) showing your top; The various types, colors, brands, etc.

I am considering getting a new one as my old one rotted away many many years ago, and I really enjoyed the topless experience.

Show us what you’ve got.

[EDIT]
Add your half doors if you’ve got them!!
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
I ordered the one from SOR with the 2 piece channel. I like it so far.
0F7FFE73-14EF-49B7-A5B0-AE104A92E1AB_1_105_c.jpeg

This is what I had. No idea who made it.

10DC4B54-AF6E-4707-AA71-4BC3A12C3E8A.jpeg

I think my 40 has a “safari” one sold by sor, the problem is that I live in florida. So the safari is cool because its got the mesh opening like a sunroof and when you dont want it open, it velcros back closed.

Its very old so the velcro system is also pretty worn out. Down here in miami we get a lot of random showers due to our climate. So when it rains the water drips through the velcro and causes a not so fun time when driving.

So safari sor:

Pros:
+mesh sunroof

Cons:
-mesh sunroof
4224E13F-53CF-41B8-B757-1A752FE2FC3F.jpeg

You can see what im saying in this pic, its the only one I have that explains what im trying to say.

My cruiser stays top less most of the year which can be difficult up here in the PNW. I have a short black vinyl version and a longer gray family style one from SOR. I switch between them and no top at all depending on the weather or if I have rear passengers. 👍

fotor_1625267418633.jpg

fotor_1606865799193.jpg

Show us what you’ve got.

I think mine is an SOR, it is faded but has lasted a long time. I only run it in the summer, and lately not every summer.

IMG_0861.JPG

My cruiser stays top less most of the year which can be difficult up here in the PNW. I have a short black vinyl version and a longer gray family style one from SOR. I switch between them and no top at all depending on the weather or if I have rear passengers. 👍

View attachment 2743915

View attachment 2743916
Liking the roll bar setup! You just bolt another part of a stock roll bar in?
:cool:

I ordered the one from SOR with the 2 piece channel. I like it so far.View attachment 2743874

Curious did you drill two piece channel to match the windshield holes or just drill the the windshield frame where the hole in the channel were. I have yet to find any of the aftermarket channels with extra holes but a number of windshield frames with extra holes from sheet metal screws. My theory is this are universal channels primarily used on jeeps. I have a few factory channels for the OEM FST. Have an aftermarket bikini top that came with my 79. PO drilled the frame not the channels. When I painted holes will be filled prior to paint. Back when soft tops and bows were being imported from Pakistan I picked up a bikini top that uses the OEM channel and FST door headers. Few times I used the bikini top that came with my 79 I hated the way the side flapped. Started to come loose from the channel and freeway speeds and never used it again. If I ever had a family made it would slip over the runners between the.B pillar and the back bow. With wing nuts for the runners would only take a extra minute or two to install.

Curious did you drill two piece channel to match the windshield holes or just drill the the windshield frame where the hole in the channel were. I have yet to find any of the aftermarket channels with extra holes but a number of windshield frames with extra holes from sheet metal screws. My theory is this are universal channels primarily used on jeeps. I have a few factory channels for the OEM FST. Have an aftermarket bikini top that came with my 79. PO drilled the frame not the channels. When I painted holes will be filled prior to paint. Back when soft tops and bows were being imported from Pakistan I picked up a bikini top that uses the OEM channel and FST door headers. Few times I used the bikini top that came with my 79 I hated the way the side flapped. Started to come loose from the channel and freeway speeds and never used it again. If I ever had a family made it would slip over the runners between the.B pillar and the back bow. With wing nuts for the runners would only take a extra minute or two to install.
On my old 40 I bought the SOR top. I thought the instructions were ridiculous stating to drill holes in the windshield frame. Instead, I drilled holes in the channel to match the existing holes in the windshield frame. Worked perfectly. Screw drilling holes in a good windshield frame. The sor top is great. I bet the bestop is good too since their soft top is pretty solid.

On my old 40 I bought the SOR top. I thought the instructions were ridiculous stating to drill holes in the windshield frame. Instead, I drilled holes in the channel to match the existing holes in the windshield frame. Worked perfectly. Screw drilling holes in a good windshield frame. The sor top is great. I bet the bestop is good too since their soft top is pretty solid.

You are one of a few. But all the ones I've come across I'm sure were done years ago before the 40 series became collectors.

I drilled the windshield but now that you bring it up I should have drilled the channel :doh: My 1/78 windshield had some holes already there and if I recall they were roughly 3/8" in diameter. They were spaced and drilled for something very specific, but I don't think by the original owner. I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think the guy before me ever had a bikini top on it, possibly drilled in the factory during production. The outer most hole on each side of the windshield and the center hole lined up with the holes on the channel so I had to drill the rest. I used some inserts I found on Amazon and 6mm bolts to fasten the channel to the windshield. Seemed to work pretty good. There is some flapping but the whole thing is all-around noisy with the top off.

Amazon product ASIN B00B0O9UBU

This is a great idea. Hind sight is 20/20 for me at this point. Wish I would have thought it through better, oh well.

Liking the roll bar setup! You just bolt another part of a stock roll bar in?
:cool:
Yep. 2 stock hoops with a straight tube in between using the OEM brackets. Had the extra roll bar just sitting around for the last 20 years and finally combined them a couple months ago. It's definitely not as strong as welded cages but quite a bit stronger than what I had. Mainly did it so the rear bar can support the rear of the long bikini top.

I mounted the front channel to my A-pillar top spreader tube that is right behind the windshield. No extra holes in the windshield frame, less flapping of bikini top at speed, and no excessive vibration of the rear-view mirror as when the top pulls on the windshield.

I like the idea of tying one off near the B pillars though. All it would take is to sew some heavy velcro straps to the bottom of the bikini top.

I drilled the windshield but now that you bring it up I should have drilled the channel :doh: My 1/78 windshield had some holes already there and if I recall they were roughly 3/8" in diameter. They were spaced and drilled for something very specific, but I don't think by the original owner. I'm the 2nd owner and I don't think the guy before me ever had a bikini top on it, possibly drilled in the factory during production. The outer most hole on each side of the windshield and the center hole lined up with the holes on the channel so I had to drill the rest. I used some inserts I found on Amazon and 6mm bolts to fasten the channel to the windshield. Seemed to work pretty good. There is some flapping but the whole thing is all-around noisy with the top off.

Amazon product ASIN B00B0O9UBU

Those are holes for OEM channel. Earlier years there were welded nuts not sure when but Toyota continued to punch holes in all FJ40s. My 3/79 holes minus the welded nuts. Earlier ones I have have the welded nuts. Also have what I think is a 10/81+ because it has two wires for the dome light and still has the holes only as well plus holes from sheet metal screws:bang:. But at least it's rust free and was cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom