Tailgate Key Barrel Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a tailgate key barrel that needs to be re-keyed.

Does anyone know how to remove the key barrel from the cylinder?

file1-4.jpg

file-9.jpg

mine does not work. Had a local locksmith come out to make sure the key was correct (ignition key right?) he determined my ignition key controlled it. It only turns 1/4 turn, does not activate the motor to open the window. Any ideas what to check? Bad solenoid somewhere? Window is controlled up and down just fine from the dash.

mine does not work. Had a local locksmith come out to make sure the key was correct (ignition key right?) he determined my ignition key controlled it. It only turns 1/4 turn, does not activate the motor to open the window. Any ideas what to check? Bad solenoid somewhere? Window is controlled up and down just fine from the dash.
The wiring diagram is in post #9 of the Rear Window Article thread at the top of the forum. It appears that if the dash switch works and the rear doesn't that it is either a broken wire between the junction strip (the one in the tailgate) and the key cylinder or something isn't making contact properly in the key cylinder. Have you tried to jumper the two wires that connect to the cylinder?

@WarDamnEagle I'll have to take it apart again, I don't think i have a junction strip in the tailgate.
Interesting. So I just looked at the wiring diagram again. The key cylinder will have 3 wires connected. Light Blue is power. Jumper it to Light blue with black stripe to go down and jumper it to light blue with white stripe to go up. Assuming I'm reading that correctly.

Did they abandon those in 79?
Doubtful. ToyoDIY shows it all the way up to 06/80 for US and Canada. They tended to corrode bad. I replaced mine when I got the pig. I would assume it was removed.

Last edited:
Maybe, I don't even see a spot it would have been mounted.
These are the best photos I have to hand. It’s mounted on a vertical tab just left of the spring on the window motor assembly. The wires can easily be connected without it. FWIW I don’t think those are Toyota connectors in your hand. Doesn’t matter though as long as it works.

23B6B112-391E-4501-B29C-3DA8D85B31A1.jpeg

D8CF725D-491D-44D2-A4A4-A32BA7DED97C.jpeg

I just fixed both of my window switches. 61pwtw showed me how easy it is to take the back cover of the key chamber and clean the contacts. Super easy. One of mine the contact chamber was very dirty and contact super corrode. The other switch a wire had come off the chamber a bit more challenging put totally fixable. Take the switch out and take it apart.

buss bar looks correct

The tailgate key is the master switch that should operate whether the pig is running or not. The dash switch requires that the ignition key be in the on position for it to be active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom