A Few Questions Before I Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked at a 2006 LX470 today with 140k miles, 2 owners. I've been researching and checked the main items (timing, leaks, rust, brake pump). However, there were a few things that threw me off and kept me from pulling the trigger.

1. While testing the transfer case, the shifter was somewhat difficult to move. Granted I have never owned a vehicle with one of these. But the shifter was much more difficult to move than normal as I had seen in youtube videos. I put it in neutral and let it roll a bit, which didn't seem to change much. It required a "non-luxurious" amount of arm strength but then it would move through once it did give in. But is this something to be worried about? The vehicle looks like it's never been off-road so I maybe the previous owner barely used it? Is this a simple issue if anything?

2. The first thing I noticed when I popped the hood was that the engine cover was missing. Now the dealer is looking for it in the shop OR. This was a new listing and was detailed / serviced today before I got there so it's possible the mechanic took it off and never replaced it? I had received enough context throughout the past week during calls to the dealer that I'm fairly certain this wasn't some elaborate scheme. Anyways, the compartment looked clean other than the missing cover. Brake and AHC fluids looked fine. I've heard the cover thing is a RED FLAG but is it? And if they have the cover tomorrow does it matter?

Apologies if these things are non-issues. I just despise dealers and (most) are completely clueless about the vehicles they sell. Any advice is really appreciated.

Stiff transfer case lever = not unusual for a soccer mom mobile.

Cover = not a big deal, if you absolutely must have, should be available from someplace like cruiseryard.com

Hah ok I won't care about the engine cover. I have enough stuff in my basement. As far as the transfer case, I'll probably just ask them to look into it since the dealer still owns it. Thanks!

Still curious what supposed red flag a missing engine cover is and where you've heard that. Never seen it here.
I honestly don't remember exactly but I've watched quite a few youtube videos on the 100s and one of them did mention it. I wasn't really sure of the reasoning myself which is why I wanted to ask. Every single photo/video I had seen showed the cover as well so when I saw this pretty pristine truck today without one it was a little odd. Sounds like it serves very little purpose to folks here.

A missing engine cover isn't even a bargaining tool, much less a red flag. Just one less step to build the LX Superleggera of your fantasies.

I suspect the rational is: someone has been in there for a reason.

I don't believe the cover would have been removed for a straight detail.

You are wise to be at least a little suspicious. though I agree that on it's own & w/o further evidence it should not be a deal breaker.

Is this the one at Morrie's in Golden Valley? The only advice I'll give as a fellow Minnesotan is to really run the AHC system through its paces since no one in town wants to touch that system. Also, if you haven't already, add the VIN to your account on the Lexus Owners website to see past service history. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Don't look like any major issues to me. If no rust and ahc is working properly. Get it.

There are a lot of little things that require removing the engine cover to fix. None of them are a big deal that affect the long term health of the truck. Hell, maybe it's even got a new starter and you won't have to deal with that for a long time. Not a concern, and the lesson is - don't believe everything you see on YouTube

Is this the one at Morrie's in Golden Valley? The only advice I'll give as a fellow Minnesotan is to really run the AHC system through its paces since no one in town wants to touch that system. Also, if you haven't already, add the VIN to your account on the Lexus Owners website to see past service history. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
You are correct! Although it's no longer at Morrie's, it's in my driveway:) The AHC works great and overall I am thrilled! I definitely see no reason to remove the AHC with the type of terrain we encounter in the Midwest. Traded in a 2019 Jeep Trailhawk with 30k miles. My friends and family think I'm insane but I'm paying less for a better truck IMO. I will find the intro thread and submit it there too.

Since you are in the Twin Cities, do you have recommendations for regular servicing? I am in South Minneapolis and would love to find a small shop that has experience with 100 series.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that responded here. This was my first thread in this community and the engagement and advice is already miles above any other vehicle forum I've been a part of. Cheers!

The first thing that came off the Land Cruiser and my 2021 Tacoma is the beauty cover.

I had a rattle in engine bay, removed Engine cover and rattle left too.

You are correct! Although it's no longer at Morrie's, it's in my driveway:) The AHC works great and overall I am thrilled! I definitely see no reason to remove the AHC with the type of terrain we encounter in the Midwest. Traded in a 2019 Jeep Trailhawk with 30k miles. My friends and family think I'm insane but I'm paying less for a better truck IMO. I will find the intro thread and submit it there too.

Since you are in the Twin Cities, do you have recommendations for regular servicing? I am in South Minneapolis and would love to find a small shop that has experience with 100 series.
Welcome to the club!

The noted Toyota independent shop in the Twin Cities is CARspec in Eden Prairie. The owner drives a 200-Series and has a lot of familiarity with the 100-Series chassis as a former Toyota/Lexus dealership tech. I've also had a good experience with Rudy Luther Toyota in Golden Valley. They recently replaced the AHC globes and suspension fluid on my 2006 and charged a very reasonable price (in my opinion). Happy to share more thoughts -- just DM me.

Congrats! Enjoy that AHC!

Engine cover thing for posterity: I would look at that negatively if I were buying a 100. It's not meaningful itself, but it indicates the owner or a mechanic was careless. If they couldn't keep track of the massive engine cover, what else did they neglect to do or do incorrectly?

I've bought and few people's share of cars. There's been a strong correlation between missing covers/brackets/trim/screws and other annoyances down the road. I think it's worth taking into account. 🤷

1. While testing the transfer case, the shifter was somewhat difficult to move. Granted I have never owned a vehicle with one of these. But the shifter was much more difficult to move than normal as I had seen in youtube videos. I put it in neutral and let it roll a bit, which didn't seem to change much. It required a "non-luxurious" amount of arm strength but then it would move through once it did give in. But is this something to be worried about? The vehicle looks like it's never been off-road so I maybe the previous owner barely used it? Is this a simple issue if anything?

Suggest press the point on this issue with the Seller if you can -- it is a well-known problem, worsens with time, especially where the shifter has had little use. It actually might be a positive sign, indicating that the vehicle has had a gentle life!

The problematic part is well-hidden immediately below the floor and is tricky to access. There are several IH8MUD threads describing various different approaches to the fix, all quite do-able methods, some more challenging than others. It can be DIY later but it is PITA job.

If the truck is good otherwise, this does not need to be a deal-breaker -- just better if someone else has to fix it!

The reference in Post #2 by @jLB gives some discussion. Also search "stuck in LO range" and similar.

Here is a description of the problem and the shift linkage and one of the methods used to fix:

Stiff Transfer Lever.jpg

If the HI Range / LO Range shifter is not used much, the situation gets worse with time. Mild corrosion eventually causes the offending part to look like the pic below, at which time the shaft inside the retaining cover refuses to move. This is 'inconvenient' if it finally seizes on a trail and you need LO range but are stuck in HI range (my personal experience!), or, you are ready to come home and cannot get out of LO range ....

Stiff Transfer Shifter.jpg

A flood of penetrating fluid like PB Blaster may help -- but this has to get past the little rubber boots at both ends of the relevant shaft as shown on the diagram and pic above -- not easy with the part in place on the vehicle.

A lot of working of the lever may be enough to correct the current situation if is not too far gone. Thereafter, remember to "use it or lose it".

The main point is to be aware of the problem and know that it will have to be addressed eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom