FJ 60 Clutch "While you're in there" items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I'm not getting much response over in "general tech" so I thought I would post here to see if folks had an opinion. Basically, what is the smart thing to do?

My motto is any time the transmission gets dropped, every clutch component gets replaced. The job is just too big to pussy foot around. I replaced my rear main seal once in 32 years (290k miles) and it didn't have to be done then. Just a little weepy. Nothing serious

My motto is any time the transmission gets dropped, every clutch component gets replaced. The job is just too big to pussy foot around. I replaced my rear main seal once in 32 years (290k miles) and it didn't have to be done then. Just a little weepy. Nothing serious

Just trying to understand what you mean by "every clutch component". Is the below a good list? Anything to add?

pilot bearing
clutch disk
diaphragm spring
throwout bearing
clutch fork
transmission input seal
rear main seal (which includes a new seal for the oil pan)

Just trying to understand what you mean by "every clutch component". Is the below a good list? Anything to add?

pilot bearing
clutch disk
diaphragm spring
throwout bearing
clutch fork
transmission input seal
rear main seal (which includes a new seal for the oil pan)
You don’t need to do the oil pan unless it’s leaking.

You don’t need to replace the clutch fork.

You most likely won’t need to replace the transmission input seal.
If you do then there are other seals in the transmission and transfer case that likely need attention too.

Use Toyota parts parts. Don’t skimp but find the best deal. Cruiseroutfitters has everything you need.

And have the flywheel resurfaced if it hasnt been done in over 100K miles. Replace the flywheel bolts with new too if they're ancient. Better safe than sorry. Toyota still has them and they're cheap. Get the Toyota pilot bearing and throw out bearing. Not an aftermarket part. None are like the original.

You don’t need to do the oil pan unless it’s leaking.

You don’t need to replace the clutch fork.

You most likely won’t need to replace the transmission input seal.
If you do then there are other seals in the transmission and transfer case that likely need attention too.

Use Toyota parts parts. Don’t skimp but find the best deal. Cruiseroutfitters has everything you need.

It was my understanding that the preferred way to replace the rear main seal is to drop the oil can and the rearmost bearing cap.... Am I mistaken?

It was my understanding that the preferred way to replace the rear main seal is to drop the oil can and the rearmost bearing cap.... Am I mistaken?
That’s a Jeep engine you’re thinking of.

That's how I did it. Makes it simple if the pan is coming off anyway- but if you're planning on removing the oil pan, plan on replacing it in your budget. Trying to clean up an old oil pan is a hell job

The sad part is I already dropped the pan and put a new gasket in 6 months ago to stop a leak….

The sad part is I already dropped the pan and put a new gasket in 6 months ago to stop a leak….
Then you’re ahead of yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom